#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:31 PM

Bought a 14 hp Kohler from a GT14 maybe and had it in my C-175 for the wife. I got it connected and running/driving. Throttle pretty much fast or idle, not much control in between. I found that screw on outside of case that is for something on the gov backed out. Not sure if removed and just set back in or why it was out. I screwed it back in, no change. I"m thinking that screw is what goes into the groove on the gov gear and kinda keeps in place?? Am I right?  I know you have to open case to do anything with gov mechanism. I have worked on them with crank and stuff out of engine. I'm wondering if there is any way I can remove pan and be able to reach up and move or position the gear if needed and re-install that screw that was out. OR, if plastic gear is bad/broken, can I get that out with crank still in? I'm not sure if there will be balance gears either, that would make it even more miserable. I'm thinking of taking a small hand mirror I have and light to look up and back in once I have it opened up. Am I gonna have any luck or is it to be a tear-down?  I can do that, just didn't want to on a running engine.

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,805 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 11:26 PM

I hate this kind of situation. I've been through it many times and usually end up doing more than I needed to. When in doubt follow the manual. Try to set the governor up their way and see what happens. Otherwise pull it and overhaul it. It is better to overhaul an engine before it has worn too far. I used to do my SBC Chevys at about 80,000 so that they would be at +.007 and I'd use standard piston and rings. Good Luck, Rick

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 05:33 AM

I had to put a new governor in a K241 and had to take the rod, piston and crank out to get to it. No balance gears there! My hand just would not fit up there!

#4 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Here is a couple pages out of a installation of a short block for a 14 hp

k241.1.JPG k241.2.JPG

• glgrumpy said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Check the K series service manual and that should give you the info. you need. You'll want to remove the balance gears anyway if they are still in there. 

• KennyP said thank you

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,577 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:34 AM

When I was working on my K341, I found that until I got the spring tension and the control rod to the carb fine tuned. There was trouble in low rpm or high rpm. After some adjustment, it went to the mid rpm. A bit more adjusting and the troubles with rpm control went away.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 12:49 PM

Well, popped the pan today to take a look. Are balance gears, they will stay, not taking anything more apart. All the gov stuff seams to be in place, gear is not stripped, wings move out when pushed with magnet tool. the little arm that is on main shaft from outside seems to be on it and moves fine. SO, thinking it is an outside problem with adjust, springs, or connectors and springs in wrong holes or such. Will look into that once more. Durn, now need that base gasket and no place open to get one. Might be a next week thing to bottle it up then. Want to final clean and paint it before putting on all the outer tins again. Then it goes on the tractor.

• shorty said thank you

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 11:34 PM

Update, this engine is running like a top in tractor now. Governor is working just as it should and no more racing like before. I did the adjustment shown in manual pages like above and seemed to be the issue.

• shorty said thank you