• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 01:25 AM

Last winter of 2014 in the UK, we experienced severe flooding and gale force winds around the coast. I think we might have lost one or two lives but certainly a lot of houses were flooded out and farmland under water for months. Happily, this winter just gone it been fairly dry. Good luck to all of you enduring the wet weather.
  • Alc, Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#17 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:24 PM

That's a good thing as the RO system doesn't kill bacteria. At least ours doesn't.

We are suppose to get storms tonight and the radar is showing that you already are. Good luck!

Yeah Chris, they are great for the smallest of particulates but disinfection is another story. Took half a day off work today, went to Harbor Freight and got a 3/4 HP stainless 1-1/2" sub pump and 250' of pvc discharge hose and a bunch of hose clamps. Just under 200 bucks with the 20% coupon. I was too cheap to buy proper splices since the hose was 10-25' rolls. Other places around town wanted two to three times the price for longer sections of hose so HF was what I could afford. I cut a bunch of 3" pieces of 1-1/2' exhaust pipe that was laying around the shop and used that for splices. I was impressed with how fast that pump took down the water in the well pit! Took about another hour to get the pump tied at a depth I wanted for the float switch to work as needed. I think the water should start clearing up in the next couple days, more rain or not! Was able to start chlorinating and will keep hammering away at that.

This is a great pic of the supercell that hit us yesterday someone put on facebook today. It's moving west to east and I saw it coming from the right of this pic.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Rapid City supercell 6-2-15.jpg

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 11:25 PM

Looks nasty. I slept through our storm this morning but was told later that it rained so hard that it looked like a snow storm. We got another inch. Fortunately our soil takes the water well and this evening the wife and I were out weeding the garden. Pretty soft but the weeds come out easily. 

Nice to hear that you have the water under control. Considering what you have been through $200 sounds like a cheap fix. hope the pump holds up for you. 

• MFDAC said thank you

#19 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:57 AM

Another 1.2" yesterday & more nearby this morning.  Missed the heavy stuff SW of us both days!

• KennyP said thank you

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:22 AM

Looks like we may get more rain starting Monday!

#21 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:26 AM

We are missing most of the heavy stuff.  Getting those 1/4 and 1/2" rain on a daily bases for 2 or 2 days, then a couple no rain and back to the rain again.  Had a hard 1/2? early Wed. morning so to wet to mow yesterday yet.  Hope to get it done today but the radar show some heavy red and yellow off to the NW of us moving this way.  More shop work getting done.  Think I will clean up and paint a couple tractor wheels today.  Put some body filler on a hood yesterday.  Then sanded it down and painted it.  Put a pair of helogon lights on it to get it dired.  Works good on small projects.  Ag report said Wednesday about 90% of the conr was planted and 73% of the beas were in.  Almost to late for corn unless your going to chop it.  Beans planted now will need a late frost to mkae it this fall.  A neighbors field next to me has weeds 2' tall and he finally got in to spray it the other day.  A lot of it has water standing on it yet.  Not much hope for a crop from it this year.

• Cvans said thank you

#22 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 11:32 AM

2/10ths overnight & this morning, but more just NW of us now.  Our beans aren't in yet & it'll be a while before they can get in the fields again!  This was to be the last crop year before putting it in CRP, we'll see what happens.

They should be cutting hay by now, but it wouldn't cure on the wet ground & rain every day or two!   :wallbanging:

Edited by grnspot110, June 04, 2015 - 11:33 AM.

• Cvans said thank you

#23 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 11:39 AM

I live on the south side of Kansas City, MO.  Had 3 3/4 inches in the rain gauge yesterday, most of it before noon.  The rain here today was just north of me..

ok, I did my part to make the rain stop....my son and I just finished cleaning out the gutters on the house...with a maple tree in the back yard the gutters need cleaned twice a year....guess I should have done it sooner...

Edited by Delmar, June 04, 2015 - 01:21 PM.

• grnspot110, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 05:07 PM

with a maple tree in the back yard the gutters need cleaned twice a year

Just took down the big cottonwood in our front yard about a month ago. Got so sick and tired for gutter problems, Leaves, and that tree never quit shedding little sticks. Even put those screens on the gutters and they would still plug up. Now I wish I would have taken it out years ago. 

• Delmar said thank you

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:31 PM

Darned if I could not use some of that Liquid Gold? Seems like it is going about 20 miles north and south of me.
Tilled the garden this morning and mowed all afternoon, like to choked to death on the dust?

They have rain in the forecast for the next 3 days, hope at least some of it lands here.
  • KennyP, Delmar and Cvans have said thanks

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:35 PM

Just took down the big cottonwood in our front yard about a month ago. Got so sick and tired for gutter problems, Leaves, and that tree never quit shedding little sticks. Even put those screens on the gutters and they would still plug up. Now I wish I would have taken it out years ago.

Probably killed about a thousand little maple trees this morning. Wind blows most oof the seeds into my garden and I tilled and hoed all morning.
  • grnspot110, Delmar and Cvans have said thanks

#27 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Looks nasty. I slept through our storm this morning but was told later that it rained so hard that it looked like a snow storm. We got another inch. Fortunately our soil takes the water well and this evening the wife and I were out weeding the garden. Pretty soft but the weeds come out easily. 

Nice to hear that you have the water under control. Considering what you have been through $200 sounds like a cheap fix. hope the pump holds up for you. 

We were awaken about 3 am with very close thunder and lightning hardly even a pause from the flash to the crack of noise. Went on for about 45 minutes with wind and downpours. On my short drive to work (1.7 miles) at 5:45 this morning a huge cottonwood tree had fallen across the road so I had to turn around and take a different route that is about 5 miles. After work, we were told that both of the short routes out of work had been barracaded by the county because of high water crossing the roads. The only other way to get home would have been about 15 miles but several of us decided to look at the water flow across one of the shorter routes. It was flowing 6" to a foot deep so we did drive around the barracades and thru the water, but please no one try that unless you are very familiar with the area and can definitely tell the road isn't damaged. When I got home after work the standing water in the yard is much worse, have to wear rubber dairy boots almost everywhere off the gravel or sidewalk. Forecast for tonight and tomorrow is for more rain, possibly severe. The good news is that the sump pump I put in the well pit seems to be keeping up without running so much it burns up! Looks like it only kicks on every 10 minutes or so.Last night's rain was 1.2". on my gauge.

DAC

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 09:20 PM

Probably killed about a thousand little maple trees this morning.

Must have been the year for them. Told the wife about a week ago that I had never seen so many Maple seeds in our yard. My old PU that sets outside has a bunch of those seeds sticking out of the vent grill. They are in the shop, garage and everywhere. 

• Delmar said thank you

#29 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 08:40 AM

I had another inch of rain in the rain gauge this morning. My back yard and the garden is almost a swamp.   I got a step ladder out and checked the gutter across the back of my house....empty.  no water, no helicopters, or baby maple trees...  yea!

• Cvans said thank you

#30 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 04:48 PM

I left St Joe (MO) about 1:30 this morning, it'd been raining there for some time, light rain when I left.  20 mile east, the road was dry!  I could see lightning behind me all the way home (1-1/2 hours).  Sacked out in the recliner at 3 am, woke up at 5 am & went back to St Joe.  Came home early this afternoon, unloaded the 30 retaining wall blocks I bought at Menard's & mowed the yard.  Repeat in the morning, including 30 more blocks, but, at least I won't have to mow the yard for a couple more days!