4 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 09:13 AM

The points on my Ariens GT18/K361 crapped out while mowing the other day...out of the blue.  It stopped dead in it's tracks.  I rebuilt the motor 3 years ago, but really didn't use it alot until last year (aquired more property). The points looked good, weren't pitted, but weren't making contact.  I cleaned them up with emery cloth, and she fired up.  I went ahead and replaced the coil and condenser with a new set I had on the shelf after I got spark.  I had been meaning to do that anyway.  The coil that was on it was metal and beat up pretty good.  It was on it when I got it and hard telling how old it was.

My question is...has anyone had this happen before?  This motor has only been ran a decent amount for less than a year.  I started mowing with in around October last year.  I cut about 1½ acres with it.  I would say the condenser could have been bad, but there was no pitting or signs of heavy arcing.  Has anyone else had this happen?

Side note...My father has a K161 in a 1969 Cub Cadet that had the points last 30 years.  I've only replaced them once.  He got it new and it's still running on the original coil/condenser.  I grew up mowing with that tractor, and still use it to mow to this day.  I re-ringed it about 10 years ago.  It even has the original deck bearings.  It's amazing how well these old machines hold up when properly maintained.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Billy

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:00 AM

I think that alot of things were better built years ago. The misalignment of the points may have been the culprit more than anything. Properly aligned points spread the spark over a big area and cause little damage to the points. Misaligned points concentrate the spark in one small point which is intense and does damage. I think people were more carefull and responsible 50 years ago. Good Luck, Rick

• Billy M and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:28 AM

I think that alot of things were better built years ago.

Believe me...that did cross my mind.  I'm curious as to how long the new points will last in the K161!

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:29 AM

Your right about the people Rick and things were much better built years ago. Even just twenty years ago, but thats around the time it stopped. Noel
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hope I don't jinx myself by posting as my 214 Deere is still running the same set of points that were in it when I bought it over 20 years ago!

Now that I've posted this I'm guessing next time out it ain't gonna start! :smilewink: