21 replies to this topic

#16 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 07:23 PM

I have 2nd hand experience with pasture renters. My neighbor leases pasture to an old friend of his. All the guy has to do is make sure his horses have water and mow the owners grass with the owners equipment and gas. He cant even do that, when he does he usually tears up the equipment. I know some other people that get stiffed and end up getting stuck with a rank horse they dont want and cant get rid of. 

• Lauber1 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#17 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 12:45 AM

The other two major things no one else has mentioned wrt livestock is adequate water. Cattle will drink 10 - 20 gallons of water per day per animal depending on size, feed dryness, and lactation. They need water at least once a day, twice is better, free choice is best.

A few phone calls should find out how hard it is to find someone to kill, dress, cut, wrap, and freeze your meat. Some jurisdictions are tightening up requirements and have driven a few out of business, the rest put the prices up.... Unless you have the skills and stamina to do it yourself....

Cattle are individuals. Some are complacent, gentle creatures, others are high strung, flighty, fence crawling, bunch quit tin' knot heads. These variations are found within breeds. No breed is perfect regardless what the seller might say.

What do I know? I never owned a cow. Growing up on a farm with 22 milk cows and 35 beef cows. Farm killing 4 - 6 animals a year, and spending a full year looking after 300 of someone else's by myself at 19 cured me - I went back to school.

Family always had saddle horses too. The fact I own a quad now should tell all you need to know. There are stories.........

Edited by camdigger, June 05, 2015 - 12:47 AM.

• holdenboy1960 and tater195 have said thanks

#18 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Family always had saddle horses too. The fact I own a quad now should tell all you need to know. There are stories.........

Yeah.. me too. I dont trust anything I cant take apart and put back together

• olcowhand and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 08:09 AM

The guy that was looking for tiller tires and caused me to look for some (then start the micro pulling tractor thread when I found some new ones at garage sale prices) came by to pick up his tires yesterday. I asked him what he thought about putting steers on 1.66 acres. He had just got back from a cattle auction where he took 100+ head. They had a bunch of land leased and the owner sold it.

The average was around $3/# hanging weight. (then you add in $5/# for processing = $8/# at the meat market). At that price I dont think I would gain anything by buying feeders. What little I did make, would take a long time to pay off the fence. Looks like I might just keep mowing

• Gtractor and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#20 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,868 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 01:33 AM

I've waited until now to chime in on this, didn't want to rain on your parade.  From much past experience it always seems to cost as much to raise them as they're worth on the market. Especially if you have to buy them in the first place. The bonus comes from knowing how/what they were fed, and the sometimes dubious pleasure of their company, LOL.

#21 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 03:58 AM

good pastures grass 3 + acres minimal to the head with out hay or grain feed and regular rain 

going by here in Australia , south east Queensland

Shane

Edited by holdenboy1960, June 06, 2015 - 04:01 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#22 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 09:05 PM

The guy that was looking for tiller tires and caused me to look for some (then start the micro pulling tractor thread when I found some new ones at garage sale prices) came by to pick up his tires yesterday. I asked him what he thought about putting steers on 1.66 acres. He had just got back from a cattle auction where he took 100+ head. They had a bunch of land leased and the owner sold it.

The average was around $3/# hanging weight. (then you add in $5/# for processing = $8/# at the meat market). At that price I dont think I would gain anything by buying feeders. What little I did make, would take a long time to pay off the fence. Looks like I might just keep mowing

I don't care what anyone says there is no break even on a small farm. I used to have 4 white face herfords Used to stagger them out and slaughter 2 a year and even with selling the second one it never worked out. I did enjoyed watching my daughter interact with the animals as all but one of my cows you could no inside the pasture and touch and not worry.