8 replies to this topic

#1 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Did any 318's come from the factory with a Briggs engine? 

Why I'm asking is I looked at a 318 for sale today, overall it's a good looking machine except for a non working pto clutch but instead of an Onan it has a Briggs engine.  I checked over at WFM but their model info listing only shows the Onan engine. If it's not factory or a Deere installed replacement engine someone sure did quite a good job with the swap. The seller shot me a decent as is price and I'm seriously considering purchasing it,but I'm just kind of confused regarding the engine.

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Ya should have an Onan B43G or P218G

Briggs = ALOT cheaper to fix and Alot more available parts.What for Briggs engine does it have in it? Vanguard V-Twin? or Opposed L-Head Twin?

The Onans are Awesome and last a LONG LONG time if taken care of Just like the Old Kohler K series single engines.Briggs will last a Long time also but you will be replacing some of the smaller bits on one more often than an old Onan.

Starter and starter gear,Coils,Carb kits and fuel pump rebuilds are what you'll run into down the road.

I would jump on it if it's in your price range.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 28, 2015 - 06:00 PM.

• pigsitter said thank you

#3 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

• 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 06:13 PM

What for Briggs engine does it have in it? Vanguard V-Twin? or Opposed L-Head Twin?

I hate to say it but I couldn't tell you!  :(  I was in between service calls today and had rather limited time when I stopped to check out a Deere cart he has for sale,once the conversation got to GT's he showed me the 318 he had just got in. I gave it a quick once over and told him I'd be back later.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 06:39 PM

Yep, non-factory replacement.

Non-working clutch, or missing clutch? Ya better check to make sure.

#5 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

• 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 07:52 PM

The pto is there but not working, now that you mention the pto I didn't look close enough to see if it had a belt on the pulley,if the rain hasn't set in here by quitting time tomorrow I plan to swing by and take a closer look.

Thanks for the help guys!

#6 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

• 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 07:53 PM

Well....boy do I feel silly and so does the seller as I stopped by this after work today for a closer look and discovered although the air cleaner had a Briggs sticker on it the engine is actually the correct Onan!

Anyone know what the life expectancy of these engines are? I've heard 1500 to 2000 hours the hourmeter is showing 1352 and is hooked up and functioning.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 09:09 PM

All depends on prior maintenance, but you can get 2,000 hours out of one. An Onan's worst enemy is sitting unused.
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

• 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Cat! Other than the pto not functioning I also noticed a little play in the deck spindle bearings as well as the battery light on the dash glows while running,outside of that it looks to be a solid machine. It fired right up as soon as i hit the key no knocks or smoke whatsoever.

Right now I'm down to figuring out if I can justify the expense or not.

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 08:14 AM

At first I thought maybe you had a Small Engine Warehouse repower on your hands there.  The P218 Onan in mom and dads 318 gave up about 3 years ago and he put in a repower kit from them that is a 23hp Vanguard.  Works good but I still liked the sound of the old Onan better, just isn't the same.

Edited by IHCubGuy, May 30, 2015 - 08:14 AM.