damaged external coil ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alec OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 01:03 PM

I hooked up my coil ( not magneto ) to my learning engine that runs but seemed to miss a little . well I left the magneto wire hooked to the points :wallbanging:  it wouldnt start and I finally figured out what it was . unhooked the magneto and it runs BUT it is a little off and seems to backfire a bit .

da da da da da burp da da da da da burp burp da da da da da burp.....ect

so can You damage a coil leaving the mag hooked up ? I think it may be my valves ( exhaust was stuck and a little nasty and the intake would turn if I used two hands when in closed position ) I am tryin my best guys ( hope I am not posting to many threads )

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,520 Thanks
  • 7,382 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 03:18 PM

We are here to combine talents so that we all live better. Ask all the questions you want. When I have trouble with a sticking valve, I put Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) in the gas. Actually I put MMO in the gas of all my machines to prevent corrosion, carbon build up, and the engines just like it(47 years I've been using it).

I'd do a complete cleanning and adjusting as the manual recomends. Check the flywheel key too. Then, add a little MMO to the gas and let it run. I've found that the MMO slowly helps many engines run better. If it gets to running better, I would also check the valve lash. Don't bother setting the lash if the valves are sticking or have carbon in the way.

Remember: We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 28, 2015 - 03:18 PM.

• alec said thank you

#3 alec OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 04:33 PM

well it helps to have the spark gap at .030 ... not .035 ( kohlor w/ coil ) got my notes to close together .

it also helps to not have a stripped locknut on the points . :(

so fixed that and it runs better at least the spark is constant and strong ( in line light tester best five bucks ever spent )

also doesnt help to have a half froze governor . 

does still backfire when I give it gas ( pulling the top or the governor rod )

the smoking went away ( the white smoke ) but it burps out some black when I give it gas .

• boyscout862 said thank you