Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,675 Thanks
  • 7,689 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 03:23 PM

They did steal the design from Japan!

They steal most of their stuff from someone. What's different here is they have improved their QC.

• Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#17 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 09:19 PM

What kind of simple mods are we talking? Not cams and carbs and such?

Exactly just that! Here's a link to a kart place I've dealt with before,plenty of go fast goodies for the single cyl. predator. 

http://www.bmikarts....arts_c_386.html

• LilysDad and TAHOE have said thanks

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 06:59 AM

Exactly just that! Here's a link to a kart place I've dealt with before,plenty of go fast goodies for the single cyl. predator. 

http://www.bmikarts....arts_c_386.html

Those exhaust parts must be a "hot" item  :D   They are all out of stock

• pigsitter said thank you

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 07:50 AM

One thing to consider in your application is the electrical system on these motors.
I read a thread somewhere on the net, where a guy from Iowa had put a 13 hp clone in a Bobcat 371 (replaced a tired 14 hp Kohler).
He bought from a distributor in the Chicago area ( name escapes me).
He was disappointed that it would not put out enough electric to run lights, to push snow at night.
That could vary from different makers so you might want to check the specs.
I think he rigged an auto alternator to solve that issue.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 29, 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#20 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 07:55 AM

With what's available now it seems it would be cheaper and easier to install LED lites on the bobcat.
Mike

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:59 AM

One thing to consider in your application is the electrical system on these motors.
I read a thread somewhere on the net, where a guy from Iowa had put a 13 hp clone in a Bobcat 371 (replaced a tired 14 hp Kohler).
He bought from a distributor in the Chicago area ( name escapes me).
He was disappointed that it would not put out enough electric to run lights, to push snow at night.
That could vary from different makers so you might want to check the specs.
I think he rigged an auto alternator to solve that issue.

yes, IF they do have a charge system it's only 3 amp, don't think the 6.5 comes with a charge system.

#22 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 06:38 PM

I've heard the same thing that they don't generate enough power to run lights.

They may be good engines. I don't know as I have no experience with them and I don't intend to. I have read good comments about them and they are a good bit less money. My problem with them is much more philosophical due to the way that country does business and treats the populace. I won't judge a person because they do use them. No more political statements from me. I'll stop my comments at that.

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 09:32 PM

You can get ones with an 18, 20, or 22 amp charging system. They are branded 'Lifan', and cost several hundred more $.

https://www.google.c...260590844824970

#24 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 07:46 PM

I bought the predator 6.5HP about 3 years ago also and put it on my roto-tiller. I run it to death each year and my friends and neighbors help also, LOL. It always starts first pull and runs forever on a tank of gas. My generator also has one of these powering it and I just lost pwoer a couple of weeks ago for 5 days. A couple of pulls and that generator didn't shut off for 5 days. I turned off the fuel valve on the 5th day when power came back on and she just puttered out. I started it later that day when power went out for about 3 more hours without a problem. For me these engines are doing the job and at the price I can't complain one bit.

#25 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:57 AM

They seem to be "new age" engines. If you go at them as being disposable (parts are hard to get), of varied quality (fit and finish are areas of question in some of the reviews), often damaged in shipping (many complaints in the reviews about not being packed well enough and arriving damaged), and suspect in the horsepower claims (are they really a full 22 or 20 or ? hp) - if you are ok with all of that for a much lower price, they seem to be good motors.

But if you look at most of the briggs, kohler, etc being made these days, don't they share some of the same traits?!?!?!? Most of what gets built today (aside from the vanguard/command pro quality engines) are throw aways...

I wont get into the buying Chinese aspect, but from the purely mechanical product review, they don't seem to be bad engines compared to what else you would get new today. That's my opinion... I would buy one for home use and roll the dice, not sure if I would make the purchase for a money making repower though...

But I have a buddy who uses them (the 13 hp ones) on his pressure wash business. He buys the extended warenty on them and keeps getting new ones when they crap out. He just keeps a spare machine for the breakdown when it happens! He claims for the price, he can buy several for the price of a pro quality real engine. And he is ok with that! To each his own...

#26 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 09:42 AM

Speaking of stealing from other countries I believe that's how a lot of Japanese industry got it's start. Won't be long and someone like India will be stealing ideas from China.  :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you

#27 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Some of us who have a need and desire to build, fabricate, and use equipment or whatever, at least myself couldn't do it without Harbor Freight. Much of the name brand stuff out there is also chinese so I just as soon save some bucks on that stuff rather than not being able to afford it at all.

I can't help on the V-twin engines but my wife and kids recently bought me a 14 hp, 420cc Predator to re-power my smoking MF12G. Can't really get heavy into the swap yet with grass growing like crazy. What I do know is that on the reciept the family used a coupon for $299, "regular sale" price was $360. BUT the cashier told them they could do better than that! Cashier used coupon number 18906579, 20% off single item. All the 20% off coupons I see do exclude the engines, but this "trick" reduced the price to $288.

I posted a pic on a thread in the Massey-Ferguson page of a pto shaft adapter I bought on epay to convert a 1" shaft to 1-1/8" with the rectangular key but will post it here too. The 12G has to use the vari-drive pto pulley so there probably isn't any other pulley choice with a 1' bore. It was 19 bucks shipped.

Getting some great help on the thread from  DH1 and WVBuzzmaster and support from Cvans too. Here's the link.

http://gardentractor...mf12g-re-power/

The ebay seller was pgballou4bx6 but for some reason I can't get a link to work.

DAC

• DH1 and Cvans have said thanks

#28 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 09:20 PM

Carb kit for my 8HP briggs on the tiller was $40+shipping. I would still have a 30 year old engine that was finicky and likely have to use another kit in a year or two due to the ethanol gas. HF engine, new $120 including tax. Could have bought the 2 year warranty but figured I wouldnt use the tiller much in 2 years. So for the price of 2 carb kits and a tune up i got a new engine designed for ethanol gas. 

This is a hobby for me and I cant afford to put the best engines in my equipment. That money has to be spent on necessities. I am glad HF gave me an option for a new engine.

Edited by coldone, July 16, 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#29 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 09:42 PM

I just wish HF would carry the air cooled diesel clones(yanmar clone). The cylinder to the side angle design doesnt fit or look right in the shaft driven tractors.  Going to need to repower my old Landlord in the future, was wanting to go the diesel route myself but waiting to see what new stuff comes along in the next couple years.  Those Chonda clones seem to hold up well, espicaly if the oil is changed a couple times right off the bat to flush out the block.  Mike

• Cvans and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks