• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 06:22 PM

I got the head off the extra engine unstuck the valve , checked the piston , could turn the exhaust valve with two thumbs but it was hard . I am mainly doing this for practice . so I cleaned off the carbon and put the head back on and torqued it like the book says ( my old school torque wrench does not have " inch pounds " so when I hit forty I thought this is wrong and realized what I was doing so I went to the other kind scale that it does have ) spun it by hand after putting some oil in it and I have compression so I figured I would test it . well I have a carb on it and a starter/generator on it . my question is ... do I need to have the voltage regulator on it ? or can I hit with the jump box ? if so I am unclear on which one to put the positive and negative on . I will check for spark before I put gas to it . thanks guys here is my set up .enginetest.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Chopperhed and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,210 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 06:26 PM

The voltage regulator is what regulates the amount of current that will flow to the battery , if your only going to run the machine a minute I would say your safe with it off just testing the engine for a short time.

Take care of that muffler! Those are obsolete and really admired by the Sears guys !

• superaben, Chopperhed and alec have said thanks

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 06:29 PM

If you have no battery installed, the regulator isn't required. Current from the generator has no where to go, so it doesn't go any where.

Also, if you are just jumping the starter solenoid, it does'nt matter, but if your system requires a fuel pump or fuel solenoid, you will need to power that.

But remember as long as you have a charge pack or booster attached, the current will be flowing to that to try and charge it.

Edited by Chopperhed, May 27, 2015 - 06:34 PM.

• alec and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 06:58 PM

so unhook the box after starting ?

• Chopperhed said thank you

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 07:46 PM

so unhook the box after starting ?

as quick as you can

• alec said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Ground goes to anywhere on engine to good metal, best clear of paint then. Pos you can touch on the big term on gen. Not sure which one, just tap and try for motion. One will make it turn and be Sparky too and might startle you at first. OR, if you have a start switch attachment, use that on the set-up and you will have less sparking and jumping. Auto stores have those remote start switches most times. It's a switch you squeeze with long wires with small clamps, about like a battery box. OR, can put a big screwdriver or any metal item in the pos clamp and just touch it on the terms, keeps arcing off your clamps.

• Chopperhed, alec and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#7 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Put the + positive connection on the big terminal ( A ) armature and touch the other end to the Battery +, too much sparking may mess up the threads on the generator terminal. Or if you have them put a couple of extra nuts put them on the armature post to protect the threads. ( Voice of experience, trust me it's not that easy to fix )  

Edited by grattone, May 27, 2015 - 08:35 PM.

#8 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 08:50 PM

well my jump box has a switch so that was cool . dam thing started when I had my face down there looking for spark :rocker:

but it runs !! got the jumper off it right away . got some gas and fired it up again ( this time prepared with my spark plug wire removing pliers ) started right up ! smokin like a bob marly fan but it was white ?? looked like it was comin from under the head but I let er run then she started kinda miss firing and eventually shut down . continued to smoke after it was off but the whole backside was rusty as heck and I think its just burn off . the condenser I used is questionable just ordered a new one ( chomp chomp chomp ) and either the condenser is goin bad or the mag is doing the get hot and not work thing . TELL ME IF I AM WRONG !! I am just remembering things you folks have said

at any rate I am pretty stoked that it runs at all !! its been sittin outside with no plug for who knows how long and I didnt think it was gonna run :peace:

• Chopperhed and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#9 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 09:17 PM

well my jump box has a switch so that was cool . dam thing started when I had my face down there looking for spark :rocker:

but it runs !! got the jumper off it right away . got some gas and fired it up again ( this time prepared with my spark plug wire removing pliers ) started right up ! smokin like a bob marly fan but it was white ?? looked like it was comin from under the head but I let er run then she started kinda miss firing and eventually shut down . continued to smoke after it was off but the whole backside was rusty as heck and I think its just burn off . the condenser I used is questionable just ordered a new one ( chomp chomp chomp ) and either the condenser is goin bad or the mag is doing the get hot and not work thing . TELL ME IF I AM WRONG !! I am just remembering things you folks have said

at any rate I am pretty stoked that it runs at all !! its been sittin outside with no plug for who knows how long and I didnt think it was gonna run :peace:

Well done.

The first thing to do is make sure every thing is clean. make sure all the fins are free of crap, and make sure the engine is as clean as you can make it.

Then run it for a bit, and see where the leaks show up

• superaben, alec and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 10:11 PM

I bet that big ol' cast iron rascal did some jumping sitting like that.  :smilewink:

Ben W.

• Chopperhed and alec have said thanks

#11 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 11:02 PM

I bet that big ol' cast iron rascal did some jumping sitting like that.  :smilewink:

Ben W.

I bolted it to that box . its made from 2x6 for sides and 3/4 in plywood for a top  . worked pretty good ( did move just a little bit ) :beerchug:

• superaben and Chopperhed have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 03:21 AM

Smoking might be mouse next under the blower cover? It could have gotten blown into the fins too and smoking when the engine got hot. Plus grease and oils on it?  I would remove the blower tin and clean up, check for mouse eaten wires  and repair as needed. Paint the block and cover while off.