Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 05:40 AM

I have heard mothballs next to the engine works but have not tried it yet myself.

Yes moth balls do work for mice , we put them in the camper during the winter .  We never had a problem with mice in the garage but then we had a cat until my daughter took her  ,,, my wife did say it's nice not having a cat but the first time she sees a mouse around we're getting one !

• MH81, superaben, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#17 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,039 Thanks
  • 775 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 06:52 AM

moth ball work very well,tryed and true!

• alec said thank you

#18 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 11:14 AM

Anyone need cats, I still have all the yellow toms, and a few others that I can't catch. I hate it when one or a dozen get locked in the shop when I close up for the evenings. They are immune to loud noises, and air hoses. I have resorted to using a low power pellet gun to run them out side in the evenings, but they are getting used to that also. At least no mice.

• alec said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 12:38 PM

It depends on the placement of the air gun...
If they get immune to your Red Ryder, they make personal protection, reusable stun guns.
  • larrybl, KennyP, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#20 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Last nite after work I had my wife take me out the 32 miles to the aforementioned barn where I have had to store my 78 Sport Fury for the last few winters, I wish that my original winter storage option was still available.

I have had the car since '07, 51K original miles, I am 2nd owner.  For the 1st 4 winters I had access to a heated, concrete floor building to park it in, zero mice. but since the guy rented the whole place to someone else, I had to move my car to another person's barn for winter storage. Usually it only sits for about 4 months over the winter, but I never got it out last year. so it has sat since Fall of '13.

I went out there a few weekends ago and got it started and warmed up, had to jack it up and put boards under the tires to get it out. I took it down the road a few miles that day Also I put a big blue tarp down on the dirt floor and parked the car on top of that when I put it out there 1-1/2 years ago. 

Well it had evidence of a little bit of mouse occupation in it a few weeks ago but between then and now a whole army seems to have moved in, the difference in amount of turds and chewed up paper towels, etc was disturbing to say the least in that short amount of time.  

I took the back seat out when I was there a few weeks ago and cleaned out a small nest, just set the seat in there w/o putting it back in "right", figured I'd do that when I brought the car home and do a good thorough cleaning/detail while it is out.

When I parked it I put moth balls in the interior, also in the trunk and under the hood. also some dryer sheets, and some cloth baggies of some claimed "natural mouse deterrent, that smelled like that "potpurri" that used to be popular a few years ago. IDK what the life span of any of these products is. How long before any of these products lose their effectiveness?  I wanted to put bait boxes out around the perimeter but the guy who owns the barn used to have a cat, I didn't want to hear that the cat had gotten into my bait boxes... The cat is no longer around, the barn owner doesn't know where his cat went.

Anyway I got in the car and drove it home, stopped for gas on the way, then my wife and I went for a ride. We went to a local town festival a couple towns over. It got cool out so I went back to the car for a flannel shirt that I brought with and thought I saw a mouse run under the seat from on top of the driveshaft tunnel. 

So we stopped by Menards and I got a couple traps, and some glue pads. I put the glue pads in the trunk and back seat area, When I got home I baited the traps with peanut butter and set them in the front floorboards and put more glue traps under the hood. 

About an hour later I went out and looked at the car to find 2 mice (smallish size) caught in 1 trap. 1 was dead for sure the other was caught in the bail of the same trap by its tail and was frantically running in circles in the driver side floorboard area trying to get free. They are now in the recycle can, I'm sure mouse #2 has run himself to death trying to scale a 42" high smooth plastic wall with a heavy lid on it.  I am headed out in a few minutes to look at the traps and see how many more I caught over night.

I need to get this car into my garage on the lift and up in the air for oil change and general look over to check for rust and other bad things that can happen to a car when it sits but it will stay out in the grass in my side yard until I am sure that it is mouse free.

and I will be looking for alternate storage for this coming winter even if it isn't free like what I have had to date has been, sometimes "free" storage is too expensive.

• alec said thank you

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:13 AM

Once they have left a urine trail in your vehicle it's like they put out the welcome sign for all their friends. Hope you can get a handle on the mouse problem. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#22 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 10:53 PM

No new critters in the traps today. I now have 4 peanut butter baited spring traps inside the passenger area, 2 more in the trunk, plus 2 glue traps in pass. area, 2 more in the trunk, and 2 "rat sized" ones under the hood. I did not get to vacuum out the car today as I had hoped, went to my parents' fishing cottage and mowed, picked up sticks and threw some gas and a match to a brush pile,  I had to babysit the fire longer than I had hoped it would take.... I still want to put the car onto my 2 post lift (yes I have my own, right here at home)  and give it a good going over, having sat since Fall '13/ before I start driving it for the summer-- but I don't want the family in my garage either,

I am gonna wait til mid week. If I don't catch any more mice by then, hopefully I can call it "good"-and the mice evicted.

They're now talking thunder/hail tomorrow in my area, so I may have to get it in the garage sooner than I want, body panels for a 37 year old Plymouth aren't exactly plentiful these days in the rust belt I live in...

• Sawdust said thank you

#23 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 11:14 PM

I understand protecting 37 year old metal.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1130179.JPG

• UncleWillie and dodge trucker have said thanks

#24 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 06:54 PM

Try a product called Fresh Cab. Had mice chew up my wifes SUV wiring to the tune of $2800. Bought that at Tractor Supply, about $14 for a package. Never had a problem after that. Nice part about it is it has a nice pine odor to it, as opposed to the smell of moth balls. Package says it lasts 3 months, but I have used it with success for 6.
  • Cvans, WHdbJD, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#25 saskfarmer OFFLINE  

saskfarmer
  • Member No: 71850
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 08:20 AM

We have had major problems with mice the past few years which have been extraordinarily wet. The rodent population exploded here.

I tried all sorts of things but my best results came from placing mothballs or fresh cab repellant where they are likely to nest and also placing instant kill poison in sealed packs on the tops of the tires of parked equipment.  On motor homes and other such vehicles which sit most of the time mice usually gain entry by climbing up the tires. Kill em there if you can. The best traps I found to be the one way door type placed away from the vehicle in a corner and baited with peanut butter.

If a nest has been established a scent trail will be there ,signalling other mice that this is a good home.You must get rid of  that scent or they will keep coming. We used diluted bleach ,seemed to cure the re-infestation problem. We seem to be winning for now.

I second the motion for good wild cats,as well.

Good luck

• dodge trucker and alec have said thanks

#26 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 04:47 PM

whats funny is they will sit and stare at me unless I come prepared :shoot3:  and then they are nowhere to be found . the traps are working so far  ! bunch of great suggestions on this thread

• Cvans, dodge trucker and Sawdust have said thanks

#27 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 05:05 PM

I had several bags of Fresh cab distributed thru the trunk and interior and I had mothballs in the trunk and under the hood both atop the air cleaner and as anyone who remembers the cars of the 60s and 70s they had a big area behind the grill between there and the radiator. had a whole box of mothballs there too, just tore off the box top and laid the box there.

but I put this stuff there fall of 13, did not add any last year but as soon as I opened the driver door the unmistakeable smell of mothballs was overpowering.  how long before they lose their potency?