11 replies to this topic

#1 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 393 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 04:12 PM

A few years ago one of my very first restored Bolens was a 1468 which I then gave to my son. He has been using it for about 4 years or more and now it keeps throwing the drive belt. Today I stopped by his hone but did not have a lot of time to get into it . He removed the belt and it looked good to me. So before I dive headlong into it does anyone have a used or new right angle drive for the 1468. Sorry but I can not find the part number for the whole unit. If this is what is wrong I may have to just replace components of it.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 04:42 PM

Your talking about the complete mule drive with the 1726660 idlers correct?

Is he using an OEM type belt ? These have a very deep "V" groove that were raw edge which really kept these in place in the idlers and sheaves.

Good news Is the OEM spec is still available but belt size depends on deck model and sometimes engine type.

• Deerlope and Alc have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Brian, I don't think he is talking about a mule drive.  Deerlope you mention the right angle drive.  My G16XT has a right angle drive also.  In replacing the belt on mine I found that the right angle drive pulley was not running parallel with the frame and/or transmission pulley.  I had to add another bracket to the front of the right angle drive and draw it to the side to square up that drive unit.  If his tractor is throwing belts I bet it is to the inside.  If that's the case check the alignment of the right angle drive.  I think that is a week spot on these type of systems.  Good luck.  Rog

• Bolens 1000 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#4 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 393 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for that tip Rog, I will have to pick it up and bring it to my home because he has absolutely no tools to speak of. 

• blackjackjakexxix and chieffan have said thanks

#5 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 393 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:57 PM

Your talking about the complete mule drive with the 1726660 idlers correct?

Is he using an OEM type belt ? These have a very deep "V" groove that were raw edge which really kept these in place in the idlers and sheaves.

Good news Is the OEM spec is still available but belt size depends on deck model and sometimes engine type.

No not the mule mower drive but the tractor drive.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for that tip Rog, I will have to pick it up and bring it to my home because he has absolutely no tools to speak of. 

You will need some way to get the tractor up in the air to get under it to get at the right angle drive.  Some way to stand it up on its back wheels would work.  My work table has removable center boards so I can get at those sort of things.  Good luck.

• Deerlope, Alc and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#7 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 393 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 07:32 PM

You will need some way to get the tractor up in the air to get under it to get at the right angle drive.  Some way to stand it up on its back wheels would work.  My work table has removable center boards so I can get at those sort of things.  Good luck.

Thank you for your concern but not to worry. I have a motorcycle lift take that will lift 1500 lbs and it had the take out center panel. I plan on taking the seat pan off anyhow.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 08:21 PM

Seat pan removal is not necessary and won't help get at the right angle drive.  It is located ahead of the fender pan, right under the lower dash.  Bolts that hold it are right behind the lift bracket.  Your motorcycle lift should work if it is wide enough.  good luck.  Rog

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#9 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 10:56 PM

When you start looking,make sure the bracket the gearbox bolts onto isn't cracked or broken,if it is it might be throwing off how the belt is riding on the pulley,those were well know to break,I may have one if you need it

• Deerlope and chieffan have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 07:28 AM

When you start looking,make sure the bracket the gearbox bolts onto isn't cracked or broken,if it is it might be throwing off how the belt is riding on the pulley,those were well know to break,I may have one if you need it

Good point Rick.  When I get mine apart this morning going to look it over good as it will easy to get to at that point.

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:50 AM

When replacing the transmission pulley I found that my right angle drive was again angled to the outside.  closer inspection found it had been repaired at one time and was not repaired square.  Not having another bracket for the angle drive I had to go another route.  I made a shin to slip between the bracket and tractor frame at the rear of the bracket.  Shim was 1/4" thick flat iron with a slot to drop over the bolt. I tightened the rear bolt with the shim up first, but just snug. Then snugged down the extra bracket bolt i put on, then the two front bolts.  Went back and cranked them all down tight in the same sequence. Pulley is running square with the tractor now, back pulley is running true and the bounce is gone.  Not thew bestr way in the world to fix the situation but you make do with what you have on a Saturday afternoon.

#12 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 07:25 PM

I'm pretty sure I have the bracket you need for the gearbox,pm me
  • chieffan said thank you