4 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 01:53 PM

On my G16XT the 'clutch' is a belt tension arm operated by the clutch pedal.  I believe all the XL series tractors are this way. When released a spring hold the arm against the belt to hold it tight to make it drive the transmission.  This arm has a bad bounce, enough that the clutch pedal with bounce up and down an inch or more.  The pulleys are tight to their respective shafts, run true with no out of roundness.  Bearing in the idler pulley is good as it turn free and quite and smooth.  The belt is a new OEM.  I thought it might be the spring, that it lost tension over the years.  Put a new spring on that was stronger but just a little longer.  Nothing changed.  If the clutch pedal is held down slightly most of the bounce goes away.  It reminds me of an old vehicle that has worn out shocks and one wheel hits bump in the road and that wheel keeps bouncing for the next 1/2 block.

The two drive pulleys run steady and true, it is just the idler that is doing the bouncing.  Any suggestions as to which way to go to stop this action?

• Traill95 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,784 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 03:11 PM

I'd inspect all the pulleys again. Any out of roundness or pinch of the sides can cause what you describe. The other possibility is that the belt is varying in width. That will make it ride up on the pulley at that point. Good Luck, Rick.

• Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 03:42 PM

I have the same problem on my Sears GT16 and have checked everything. I even bored  out the hole for the idler bolt and put in a bushing to make it tight again. All Pulleys are now free of play. Bounce is still there unless I touch the pedal.

Edited by Traill95, May 26, 2015 - 03:43 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Noticed the trans-axle pulley is a two piece unit, hub with pulley welded to it.   It looks like it could be out of round a little so going to try and replace it with an OEM pulley.  When welded those pulleys always seem to get pulled one way or another.

• Traill95 said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 05:23 PM

UPDATED 5-28-15.  Found the problem and cause of the bouncing I had.  Got the transmission pulley off and just as I suspected.  It is a two piece put together pulley.  Very poor job of welding to say the least.  Plus it was out of round,

Put a 3/4" stub shaft in the vise and put the pulley on the shaft.  Started turning it and found it is 1/8" out of round.  Shaft is not wore and the new stub piece I used went in nice and snug and turned freely with a little grease on it.  Talk about some pigeon S  _ _ T !!!

Trns Whl-1.JPG           DSCF3005.JPG

Weld-1.JPG        Weld-2.JPG

Going to check on a new pulley tomorrow when I have to go after fruit trees.  If they have it will get it locally, otherwise a supplier on here will have it for me.

Edited by chieffan, May 28, 2015 - 06:47 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and Traill95 have said thanks