Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey/Snapper guys I'm thinking of buying a IH H.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 02:01 PM

I just want to make sure I don't lose any Massey/Snapper friends over this. lol I've got a chance to pick up an IH H with loader (one family owned since new) for a parts tractor price. It belongs to the family of a good friend who I worked with for years. Rough looking IH (I haven't gone to see yet) but runs-at least when they drove it into the shed. I'm guessing that was 3 - 5 years ago, the original owner passed about then. I'm thinking this would be mostly for tractor cruising but maybe light snow scooping and would like to pick up an old sickle bar down the road to mow one ditch I hate to weed wack. What do you think? Still friends? Hoping Daniel olcowhand continues his recovery as I might have a question or two for down the road. Just teasing my friend, you just get better.

Reg
  • 101 senior and Antoniofuse have said thanks

#2 101 senior ONLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 184 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 02:11 PM

nice choice

• gtcsreg said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 02:35 PM

What, an IH !!!!!! I would like to have one too, hope its good for you, Noel.
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Those are great little tractors.  I run one for about 5 years when I was going custom haying.  Used it on the rake and hay rack.  Wasn't quite enough for the conditioner cutter.  Wide or narrow front?  Wide is the best with a loader on it.  Narrow is better for maneuverability  Go for it !.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,644 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 10:04 PM

They are heavy for their HP, which is nice for loader and sickle work

Sounds like a good buy, but keep in mind that if narrow front, they can get tippy with a loader.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#6 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 02:20 PM

Narrow front I think. Thanks for the reminders but this will mostly be cruising and maybe scooping snow out of a flat driveway. I used to own an old unstyled AC WC so I'm accustomed to tricycle fronts.

Reg

#7 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 03:16 PM

Good tractors, we have 4 Farmall h's on the farm.  Quite popular in their hayday as they made around 400,000 of them before changing it to the Super H.  Biggest downfall I find is the lack of "live" hydraulics.  The ones that we used on the farm for much hydraulic work we converted to a "live" pump from a Farmall 300.  One of ours has a high speed 3rd and 4th gear where 3rd is more like fourth on a regular speed transmission and 4th is quite a step up from a stock 4th.  Another has an engine out of a junked out 300 in it to liven it up a little.  Good luck with it I like the ones we have.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 03:23 PM

If you lose a friend over a brand of tractor purchase, then you had no friend to begin with. As far as any questions for me,fire at will, but answers may come slowly as my mind is slower than usual. Not much else I can do anyway. Hope I can be of help.
  • Delmar and gtcsreg have said thanks

#9 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 04:01 PM

I would go for it they are decent tractors get the serial number as some had special letters on them that stand for certain things like an x5 is a low speed geared 5000ft tractor I can't remember the others or find a link to the website that listed them all. This is the state of mine right now I just got the head and block back uploadfromtaptalk1432673991967.jpg
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#10 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 07:56 PM

If you do get it, keep a eye out for after market "goodies". M&W made power steering kits for H's and M's, I think they also made auxiliary gear boxes and transmissions for them. IH Cub Guy, the one you have with the high 3rd and 4th gears might have a M&W kit in it.

• IHCubGuy and gtcsreg have said thanks

#11 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 08:29 PM

If you do get it, keep a eye out for after market "goodies". M&W made power steering kits for H's and M's, I think they also made auxiliary gear boxes and transmissions for them. IH Cub Guy, the one you have with the high 3rd and 4th gears might have a M&W kit in it.

No they are just high speed IH gears that are in it.  Would love an M&W 9 speed  though.  We have an M with a M&W live pto clutch though.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#12 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 10:10 PM

My dad had one for awhile that had chain sprockets on the rear axle for the mounted planters the made for them. That H was handy little tractor to have around.Pretty easy to convert from a generator to a alternator charging setup.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#13 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 07:40 AM

If you lose a friend over a brand of tractor purchase, then you had no friend to begin with. As far as any questions for me,fire at will, but answers may come slowly as my mind is slower than usual. Not much else I can do anyway. Hope I can be of help.

Daniel, for now if it's not mechanically sound I move on. Thanks, though.

Reg

Edited by gtcsreg, May 27, 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#14 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 03:05 PM

Taking a look tomorrow morning.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#15 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 03:25 PM

It's been sitting 3 years and she thought her son drove it in where it's parked. From what I can tell it's the only way he could of got it back there. It's in much better shape than I had been told. The pictures are poor because the lighting was so bad and couldn't get back there very well. Brand new tires on the back! They have been sitting 3 years and only half deflated. Fronts are down but look like they didn't go down right away. Shields, gauges, lights, hitch, and all sheet metal is there and appears good shape. Steering normal play, transmission "felt good, For that old a tractor it looked like he treated it with lots of care. She asked way higher than the daughter thought but it had been appraised by a friend of mine for $1500. She has a lot of sentimental attachment and we really hit it off and she wants me to have it badly. I have a max budget of $500 so we're not that close but she quickly came down to $1200. She's been told that the hydraulic trip bucket loader is very rare. I really wasn't thinking so and it's not that important to me so I asked if she would separate the tractor. She's thinking on it. The battery has been sitting there for 3 years so I figure it will need a new one ($55). Other than that I suspect all that is needed is to air the tiers and clean the gas tank and carb and I'm at the minimum needed although saw the muffler is gone. they are on clearance for $15. I know the pictures are poor but what do you guys think? Wish I had the money to pay her full price but don't. Haven't given up yet.

Reg

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo1259.jpg
  • Photo1258.jpg
  • Photo1257.jpg
  • Photo1256.jpg
  • Photo1254.jpg
  • Photo1253.jpg
  • Photo1252.jpg
  • Photo1251.jpg
  • Photo1250.jpg

Edited by gtcsreg, May 28, 2015 - 05:01 PM.