• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 10:42 AM

I just got a Simplicity model D with a 2hp Clinton model 800? First question is, I have a nice blue spark, clean carb, and it is getting fuel but I can't even get it to pop. What should I look for? Second question is, how does the governor hook up? I have a air vane with no linkage and down see any place on the throttle that it would hook into. Thanks
  • laurarg3 said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 01:35 PM

Will the spark jump at least 5X the plug gap outside the cylinder? Have you tried a new plug? Have you checked the manuals section to see if there is a manual for that engine in there with a picture of the governor?

#3 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Spark will jump that far, plug is new. I didn't find a manual here. Its a Clinton model A801. Here are some pics of the throttle/linkage. The throttle does move from idle to wide open when the lever is moved. I'm assuming the solid piece between where the cable hooks into and the throttle on the carb should be a spring instead?

Clinton 1.jpg

Clinton 2.jpg

Clinton 3.jpg

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Have you checked the compression ? Maybe a little dirt under the valves or sticking rings ?

#5 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 07:33 PM

I don't have a working compression tester at the moment, but the compression feels really good when pulling it over
  • Alc said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 08:47 PM

The HELP you need is unbolting the Clinton and throwing in Trash can and putting on a Real engine, maybe a briggs and be good to go again!  Heee!  :shoot2: :smilewink:

#7 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 09:21 PM

I'm not sure how good Clinton's reputation was, but I have been thinking about dropping a 2-5hp Briggs or Tecumseh on it and putting the Clinton aside

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 09:51 PM

CraftsmanGT, Clintons were one of the best next to Continental and Kohler after the war but everything is very old and used.

Welcome to the forum and Clinton side of things. You have the round bowl Carter model U carb, looks like a no. 27 or later, there should be a little screen in the carb body were the fuel line hose barb screws into the carb body float bowl. The throttle set up is interesting ''fix'' all though I have seen similar throttle set ups on early Walboro carbs.

The gov lever is not in the pictures so i must assume the engine was worked on by someone with limited engine knowledge and removed it for some reasons. Below the exhaust pipe, in the block is a hole the gov lever should be. The throttle cable is to be attached to the block via cable bracket. I might have a old gov lever for those series and yes, you are missing the gove spring that hooks between the gov lever and carb throttle lever.

Ben, Old Paths Equipment on this forum might have what you need for engine, pore a little gas down the spark plug hole and see if it does not pop.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 10:27 PM

CraftsmanGT, Clintons were one of the best next to Continental and Kohler after the war but everything is very old and used.

The gov lever is not in the pictures so i must assume the engine was worked on by someone with limited engine knowledge and removed it for some reasons. Below the exhaust pipe, in the block is a hole the gov lever should be. The throttle cable is to be attached to the block via cable bracket. I might have a old gov lever for those series and yes, you are missing the gove spring that hooks between the gov lever and carb throttle lever.

Trowel, He says its an air vane gov but I can't remember Clinton using them.

#10 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 11:27 PM

www.clintonengines.us/jpgs/Clinton_1952_page4.jpg

800 series in bottom right corner

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Clinton did make many air vain controlled gov, mostly for vertical shaft engines on mowers.

Your link did not work so here is one : http://www.clintonen..._1952_page4.jpg

The last two numbers after the model number 8001 should tell if it is mechanical or air vain.

Edited by trowel, May 26, 2015 - 06:00 PM.

#12 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 10:59 PM

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to working on this in the next couple of days. I've been fighting off a bad fever

#13 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 09:38 AM

Well I messed with it this morning. Gapped the points to .20, both carb screws are set at 1.5 turns, nice blue spark, and plug is getting wet but still nothing...not even a pop

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 06:52 AM

Flywheel keys shear on these?? Maybe it is firing on wrong part of stroke then?  Sure there isn't a hole in piston top?

#15 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • 187 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 10:37 AM

Flywheel key is good. I've been leary about pulling the head but I guess I should