• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Anyone have a preference for thier 2 cycle engines.??   I used to like lawnboy oil,but it seems harder to get  and  expensive..

petrolium based,,,,, synthetic,,,  blend...????

Like I said Iv'e been using lawnboy oil..   After 25 years of use,, my lawnboy seemed to like it...

Now I went to the store the other day and some off-brand stuff is on the shelf... I'm looking for a top grade mix..          any sugestions............   sodi

• laurarg3 and Antoniofuse have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 03:35 PM

Amsoil Synthetic 2 stroke oil is about the best you can get.It doesn't smoke very much and it smells rather pleasant.

I've been running Yamalube 2R that I got down at our local Yamaha dealer.Buy it by the Quart for $8-$12 it smokes a bit more and it Stinks but it does a good job.My old Lawn Boy and the old saw likes it.

I still have part of a case of Lawn Boy oil but I won't use it.It carbons up pretty fast compared to the newer full synthetic oils.

• sodisr said thank you

#3 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 08:26 PM

I'm bad for getting whatever is cheaper.

#4 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 09:35 AM

What about  outboard motor oil...????  Are all 2 cycle oils the same.?  just pay attention to the mix.??

#5 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,409 Thanks
  • 1,544 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 07:58 PM

I use a oil that covers everything with one mix, either Arnold from TSC or Promix from Lowes.

#6 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 10:12 AM

Well,, I bought some Pulan-Pro  2 cycle oil the other day..   Someone else mentioned this before,,,  Why did they change the format on how to read the ratio....  Milometers to gal,  or Liters ..  The oil I  bought say's  , Squeeze to the line  for a 40-1  mix... and pure it in a gal. container..   There's 3 lines on the fill tube..????   I had to get the calculater out to figure it  out..  What a pain..  I needed , 32/1 mix.. and the mix table was for 40/1....  All I could do is add a little more oil ... To guess a 32/1 mix...

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 10:29 AM

What about  outboard motor oil...????  Are all 2 cycle oils the same.?  just pay attention to the mix.??

They are in the same boat as a motor oil, not all the same. Engine manufactures have their own blend or specific mix and with the newer equipment I would stick to an OEM blend that has the special cooling additives needed in todays thin blend's

The older equipment should be run on the "Dino" blends such as outboard or a good quality non synthetic mix

Since most equipment is 50:1 alot of the manufactures no longer show the lines or tables for the old 20:1,32:1 40:1 blends, sometimes you have to get out the calculator and measure, I generally have a container for each ratio I use with lines added to it to mix.

• sodisr said thank you

#8 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 01:58 PM

I have a Polaris ATV and 4 snowmobiles and a Suzuki dirt bike. They all are ran with Polaris VES oil I buy by the gallon from a off road shop. I also use it in my chain saws and trimmers and leaf blower. Only thing that I don't use it in is the 115 HP and 9.9 Mercury out boards. They get quick silver.

:D   Al

• sodisr said thank you

#9 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 02:25 PM

It's easy to figure the ratio. Just divide 128 oz(1 gal)by the ratio. the result will be oz per gallon.
Mike
  • sodisr said thank you