• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 06:32 AM

So, I was thinking about this over the last few days. Just wondering if someone has ever built one of these. Please bare with me, I am not the best at explaining ideas.

Here is the idea, the tractor would drive a PTO shaft that comes into a belt set up that drives either a sprayer pump or a pressure washer pump. The belt setup would be very similar to how the #33 tillers are setup. Please excuse me for using that one as an example, I am sure there are other ones that are setup very similar. Anyways, The trailer would also have a small garden hose to hook into a house for filling the tanks or just using the garden hose reel on the trailer. I do intend on using rain barrels for filling mainly. Also, was thinking of a main tank and two mix tanks. These would all be plumbed from the tanks to the pumps.

Now, reasoning, so you know where I am coming from. This originally started as an idea to build just a sprayer trailer, because we have to get our yard sprayed to help prevent the lovely tick breeding grounds that CT has to offer, but it comes very highly priced to get it done by a company. So, I said, why not just build one. I also have about 450 feet of white picket fence that needs cleaned every time I use the weed whacker. I can reach about 150 of it before I run out of garden hose and the hose starts collapsing due to no water pressure. So, long story short, I thought why not combine the two and save myself some time. Oh, the reason for the hose reel, the wife does not want to mount a reel on the front of the house, but she still wants to water all of the flowers. The picture is just an example of the setup I kinda want.

So what do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

• 287882.jpg

• Alc, Traill95, jd.rasentrac and 1 other said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 07:32 AM

I would definitely work without a doubt.  But cost wise, not so sure if it would be practical.  You can buy a 25 gallon sprayer runs on12 V , trailer style or mount on a 4 wheeler rack or put in your cart.  They work real good as I have both.  Your fence washing don't need a lot of pressure if done right away so the 12 V pump would be enough.  Trim a ways and wash a ways, and when your done - your done.  Just my thoughts.

• Traill95 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,636 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 07:52 AM

If it would suit your needs, go for it. I also think a 12V pump would handle most of what you are trying to accomplish there. A PTO pump could get expensive, though I happen to have one laying about. May look into that for my application. But that sets things up for a dedicated tractor with the PTO. I also have a 12V pump and several tractors that I have 12V plugs set up on.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 08:01 AM

So, I was thinking about this over the last few days. Just wondering if someone has ever built one of these. Please bare with me, I am not the best at explaining ideas.

Here is the idea, the tractor would drive a PTO shaft that comes into a belt set up that drives either a sprayer pump or a pressure washer pump. The belt setup would be very similar to how the #33 tillers are setup. Please excuse me for using that one as an example, I am sure there are other ones that are setup very similar. Anyways, The trailer would also have a small garden hose to hook into a house for filling the tanks or just using the garden hose reel on the trailer. I do intend on using rain barrels for filling mainly. Also, was thinking of a main tank and two mix tanks. These would all be plumbed from the tanks to the pumps.

Now, reasoning, so you know where I am coming from. This originally started as an idea to build just a sprayer trailer, because we have to get our yard sprayed to help prevent the lovely tick breeding grounds that CT has to offer, but it comes very highly priced to get it done by a company. So, I said, why not just build one. I also have about 450 feet of white picket fence that needs cleaned every time I use the weed whacker. I can reach about 150 of it before I run out of garden hose and the hose starts collapsing due to no water pressure. So, long story short, I thought why not combine the two and save myself some time. Oh, the reason for the hose reel, the wife does not want to mount a reel on the front of the house, but she still wants to water all of the flowers. The picture is just an example of the setup I kinda want.

So what do you guys think?

I would never dissuade a guy in full-on build mode, but we just bought a sprayer from TSC that is roughly what you're trying to build and on sale.
http://t.tractorsupp...-sprayer-30-gal
So far, we are very happy with it. Shame you're not around the corner, I'd let you try it to see what you thought.
Only mods I will make is three shut off valves and a little hose to allow me to pick and choose what spray nozzle is on and a real mounted switch with a permanent plug in on the tractor. It has a mixing valve, so that's another plus I don't have to do.
Don't go lower on the food chain that the 15 gal with the 2.2 GPM pump, the smaller pumps get lighter duty big time.

They have a size up from what we bought, but it's twice the price. Besides, 20 gal or so is all you want behind you going downhill on a GT. can anyone say jackknife?
  • Alc, KennyP and Traill95 have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,636 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 08:28 AM

I would never dissuade a guy in full-on build mode, but we just bought a sprayer from TSC that is roughly what you're trying to build and on sale.
http://t.tractorsupp...-sprayer-30-gal
So far, we are very happy with it. Shame you're not around the corner, I'd let you try it to see what you thought.
Only mods I will make is three shut off valves and a little hose to allow me to pick and choose what spray nozzle is on and a real mounted switch with a permanent plug in on the tractor.
Don't go lower on the food chain that the 15 gal with the 2.2 GPM pump, the smaller pumps get lighter duty big time.

They have a size up from what we bought, but it's twice the price. Besides, 20 gal or so is all you want behind you going downhill on a GT. can anyone say jackknife?

That has a 2.2 GPM pump. I'm wondering now about the 10.6 GPM pump I have. Hmmmmmmmmm? Might be nearly a pressure washer! :bigrofl:

• MH81 said thank you

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 10:49 AM

I think: looks great - congrats   ildeere.gif