• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:08 AM

Dosent appear to be as bad as I expected, I would try the carb settings and see if that helps, remember to warm the engine for about 10 minutes before you make any carb adjustments.

#17 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 09:33 AM

It does seem lesser smoke than the previous day, but it was a dark rainy day yesterday.

The high speed screw is running as lean as I can take it, if I make it any leaner it sputters at high rpm. Could it have something to do with the float level? The carb is dry so it's not too high to overflow but I did not adjust the float level per the manual, I just eyeballed it.

#18 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 09:15 PM

So I ran the 1050 a little more the last few days, it runs great other than the smoke. I'm pretty convinced it's oil burning smoke, blue and heavy, I will make a better video when I have time.

There are no leaks anywhere on the tractor, either from the engine or the tranny, even the driveshaft oil seals are dry.

The one exception is the breather plate which was mentioned, it was next on my todo list and upon inspection i noticed that it started dripping oil down to the points box. I took off the muffler and the carb to have a better view of what was in there, i had to make big adjustments on the governor/throttle cable links and they were tight so taking the carb off made sense), i then took the breather plate off to inspect the insides and everything appears good other than being oily, the breather plate seems in good shape.

20150527_184352.jpg 20150527_185941.jpg 20150527_190027.jpg

So what would explains oil in the breather box? I guess it's pointing more and more towards engine work... I'm not sure how the breather works, how is this all related to the engine smoking or burning oil?

Next is swapping the seat from the parts 1050, sitting on the rusted pan which is installed the wrong way (tilting rearwards) is getting hard to get used to.

Edited by chubien, May 27, 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#19 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:50 AM

I had more time to work on the 1050, I cleaned out the breather box and took the reed out, it appears in good shape but it was very slightly bowed (not sure if thats by design) but I reinstalled it bow side down after cleaning it for it to seal completely flat - I can't remember if it was installed that way originally but I believe it was since it was laying flat on surface before I removed it.

I had to remove the front flywheel cover to reroute my fuel line which got pinched and was fuel starving the engine. I made the most of it to clean the flywheel and find the timing mark, I had previously just gapped the points per specification and I could confirm using a timing light that timing was spot on.

I ran it for about 10-15 minutes, she seemed to be smoking more if anything and after shutting her down I noticed more oil seemed to be coming out of the breather box than before I serviced the reed. I have left the breather tube disconnected from the intake as I don't want any oil going into the carb.

I decided to adjust the throttle to specification, I have it running at 3600RPM without load. During these adjustments I did notice that the engine seemed to tick more in the valve area than my S8D's...

Also checked the plug and it was sooted black...

I changed the engine oil once more and it was also very black, put some 30 weight tractor oil in it.

#20 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:28 AM

So what would explains oil in the breather box? I guess it's pointing more and more towards engine work... I'm not sure how the breather works, how is this all related to the engine smoking or burning oil?

Some oil in the breather chamber is normal. ...The valve springs, valve stems, and valve tappets all need some lubrication.  ....Most of this oil is a fine mist.

There is a small oil drain hole located in front of the reed plate to allow excess (liquid) oil to drain back to the crankcase.  ....If this drain hole is clogged, or closed with gasket goo, too much oil can accumulate.

The purpose of the reed plate is to create a partial vacuum in the crankcase while the engine is running. ....As the piston travels downward in the cylinder, pressure created in the crankcase is exhausted by "blowing" the reed plate upward.  .....As the piston travels upward, a slight vacuum is created in the crankcase, as the reed valve seats against the block (that is the reason it is made of spring steel and doesn't work properly if it is cracked).

The volume of air displaced from the crankcase past the reed plate is much greater than the small amount of air passing through the drain hole, so a slight vacuum in the crankcase is possible.

The reason for having a partial vacuum in a crankcase is to relieve any (normal) blow-by from the rings, and to prevent pressure build-up from forcing oil past seals and gaskets.

If the cylinder wall is scored, or if the rings or valve guides are worn, excess pressure is built up in the crankcase and breather chamber, so more oil is sucked out of the breather chamber and into the carb intake, which causes the blue smoke.

Another clue to excess crankcase pressure is oil in the breaker box (points) chamber.  ....This can be caused by the reed plate not seating against the block due to dirt or any of the other causes mentioned above.

• Bolens 1000, sodisr and HJR have said thanks

#21 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the explanation Bruce, good information!

I will need to check the drain hole for blockage, I'll also change the cover gasket. Knowing that some oil in there is normal I won't worry about it.

I don't have any oil in the points box, it is nice and clean.

I also did not have the breather tube connected to the carb, I did not want oil getting sucked into the carb while I'm troubleshooting my problem, so the smoke ain't coming from there.

At this time I don't suspect a reed issue, I don't see any damage or wear on the reed and the seats have been cleaned.