10 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Headed to Destin Fla the day after the last kid graduated high school with a buddy of his and his parents. We have known them since he was in 4th grade through a club basketball team and spent too many weekends with them to count. Their son dropped out of high school ball after his freshman year, but we still get together with his parents a few times a month. She is a 12 year old girl with ADD in a 48 year old body, he cant do anything fun because he is p-whipped and too busy kissing her ass to do any thing fun. The boys happened to have a couple of girls from their class that were staying a few miles away, so we didnt see much of them. 

DAY1: got up at 5AM to head out, the boys went to "project grad" and stayed up all night. They were tired and grumpy and slept all day. Stopped in Memphis on the way down for lunch. "Memphis in May" BBQ contest to just happen to start that day, so we had to pay $40 to park on Beale street to eat lunch. Had to eat at a place they saw on DDD. 100 year old grease they dip a burger in. Any where else it would be a $6 cheese burger.. not here, $10. That was 1 block from BB Kings place.. the day he died. She didnt want to eat there.. didnt know who he was. 

Stayed in a small town north of Jackson Mississippi because it was $20 a night cheaper than the next town closer. $25 for a half a burrito, the first of many $100+ dinners to come. Mapped out the best route to destin from there and fixed the blown tail lights incurred while driving through a torrential down pour we hit driving through the switch backs in Arkansas.

Day 2

After 2 hours, the route we planned got changed to go see the USS Alabama. Dropped another $100 on that one. Took a wrong turn at Pensacola and drove 25 miles through 35mph and stop lights every 1/4 mile. Got to the resort thinking the fun would soon begin.. WRONG.... $250 trip to walmart to get munchies and booze for the week, and another $100 dinner. Sat on the deck looking at the pier on the bay and anticipating the good fishing. Went up to the roof to jump in the hot tub.. 85*.. turned on the heater and we sat around drinking a few more beers. Checked the hot tub, 84* now .. the f@cking heater is broke.Kids went out with friends

Day 3

Went to the beach. Fun for about 1 hour, we stayed for 4. Hit a few pools at the resort on the way back. Filled with screaming kids and no bathrooms, had to go back to the room to pee, almost diddnt make it a few times. Had to pack back more drinks for the rest. Met several other people from Missouri. side note ... still raining at home and got a report the the yard is flooded and the grass is already too high to mow in a single pass and my 12 year old dog that doesnt like storms and has been locked out is pissed. About 4pm I discovered that while sitting in the surf, all the sun screen washed off and I had severe 2nd degree burns on the inside of my lower legs. Cooked the best grilled chicken I have ever done in my life (cheapest and best dinner of the trip). Hot tub guy didnt show up, so that is still broke. I cant get in any way. I have never seen a purple sun burn before. Kids ditched us after an hour at the beach and went out with friends

Day 3

ADD wanted to go to the beach. The guys went fishing off the pier. ( after spending $40 for tackle and $30 for nonresident fishing license and $20 for fresh dead shrimp). Caught 10 catfish that were all around 1 pound. Cooked them up for dinner.. fish tacos ( still 2nd cheapest dinner) ADD didnt want to eat fish tacos, so I had to cook chicken for her. The boys went out with friends. Mr ADD wanted to watch Trailer park boys on netflix. Stupidest thing I have ever seen. I went to bed early. 

Day 4 

ADD wanted to go to the beach, Mr ADD went with them. I didnt go, cant handle any more sunburn and I hate sand in my beer. Wife is pissed. Spent the day with the boys, watching a full season of East bound and down... a new stupidest thing I have ever seen. The kids went out with friends. We went out for another $100+ dinner. Booked a fishing trip for day 5.. finallt some thing fun.. $160 for 2, but it should be worth it.

Day 5 

Up at 530am to go fishing. Got on the boat and headed out. 1.5 hr trip out. Capt'n blew the horn and we all dropped down to 100 ft with 100# line baited with cut squid. Caught a few 12" snapper. hard to feel small fish hitting with a 1# weight. several trips up and down, some with fish, some without, some with bait, some without. Got tangled up with the other guys a few times. Capt'n didnt think the fish were big enough, so we pulled up and waited while he went to another spot 3 miles away. Nobody got a hit, so we moved again 2 miles away this time. Caught a few white snappers and several rock fish. Capt'n didnt like the looks of the squall that came up and told everyone to reel up and go in the cabin, he was going to drive under it. About the time we got to the other side, we got struck by lightning. It came through the radio antenna and knocked the capt'n out of his chair when the radio blew up in his face. It fried all the sonar, radio and other electronic gismos, including the ECM for one engine. Spent the next 2 hrs limping back in from 25 miles out on one engine. $20 tip for the crew to fillet the 6 small snapper we caught in the 20 minutes that we actually got to fish. Got back to shore and met the wife who had been shopping with ADD all day. The kids went out with friends. We ditched Mr & Mrs ADD and cooked the fish, because she wouldnt eat it ($100 dinner for them, $200 dinner for us)

Day 6

Guess what? ADD wants to go to the beach. I stayed in the condo, wife is pissed. 

The rest of the trip is more of the same. We tag teamed it and drove all the way in, got home at 10pm. they stayed in Nashville for another $100 dinner and $100 room.

The yard is a wreck but the dogs are glad to see me. 

We only get to hear the crap top 40 country around here. I like the red dirt and have to hunt pretty hard to find new stuff. I located "the outlaw" on Iheart radio before we left and added a bunch of stuff before we left. Listened to some Thom Sheperd on the patio in "Paradise". He has a song about taking a vacation a day. It made me realize how much I like putzing around in the shop, mowing the yard, fishing where I know the fish are, watching baseball and drinking beer at home and petting the dog.

I cant figure out why anyone would spend so much money to go away and do something "fun"

Edited by tater195, May 24, 2015 - 04:25 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, JDBrian and 10 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 05:44 PM

I hear you on that last statement! It's always better to sleep in your own bed!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I'm trying to understand why you have hung out with these folks all these years.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 07:18 PM

We haven't taken a vacation away from home in 30 years. Two years ago to LA was NOT a vacation. It was work. We always believed in staycations. Much cheaper and more comfortable. I used to consider my two weeks with the Army as a vacation each year.

My experience with ADHD is to just tell them "no". It has worked for me many times. I worked for a person that was mildly ADHD and very bossy. She was a very hard worker and tried to drive people hard. After me saying no to rediculous workloads for several months, she backed off. I want to do things right the first time and will take the time to do it right. Once we came to an understanding we got along fine for 8 years. If the guy is whipped, its a lost cause. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 24, 2015 - 07:20 PM.

#5 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 08:48 PM

This is the song I listened to on the patio of the condo we spent $300 a day to stay at, they spent most of the day at the beach, eating expensive meals, or shopping. The time that was spent at the condo was either watching netflix or sleeping.

https://www.youtube....h?v=zmc3AtmOtLE

I decided to live by that logic. Today I went out on the boat with my 2 best fishing buddies, in the rain. Caught a bucket of crappie and enjoyed every minute of it.

20150524 185652

20150524 185612

• KennyP and superaben have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 10:03 PM

That last picture says time for the first annual GTTalk fish fry to me.

Ben W.

• KennyP and tater195 have said thanks

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 10:36 PM

Gonna need some more. 5# wont last long unless I dont tell anyone where I live. I have the facilities to host a GTT meet and greet, but that is another topic. Anyone within driving distance of KC can hit me up. I dont have any plans for labor day yet... anyone interested? I think I can catch a few more by then.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 05:21 AM

Nice mess of crappie! Bet your buddies were glad you are back!

• tater195 said thank you

#9 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 08:12 AM

Just saying, could have bought a bunch of gt's with that!!!!

• MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 08:51 AM

We got very lucky with our trip last fall and I knew that, but this post just drives it all home.
We didnt go to a tourist trap place, but it could've gone like that as the extended family was all there too.

Luckily we all had a great time and feel very lucky to have been able to spend that time with family and friends.

#11 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 01:48 PM

Went out after the crappie again this morning. Took a little while to find them. the wind didnt help much. Found them stacked up on the bank in the shade. The calendar says they are about 5 weeks late spawning. Several of the ones I cleaned still had orange eggs in them. We have had clouds and rain for most of the last month. water temp is still in the mid 60's. Looks like they are still in spawn mode.

20150525 132303

This should get the fillet weight up around 10#. Gonna try a batch of crappie dogs. Light cajun seasoning, packed in 21mm casings. The next size up that I have is 32mm. I think the smaller size will cook better in the fryer, but I plan on smoking some also, So I might do 5# of each.

• Gtractor, KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks