• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 03:58 PM

At long last I managed to get around to hauling my 1254 over to my mate some 70 miles away in Dorset. Daniel is a dab hand with engines and electrics and he's going to install anew wiring loom and get her up and running for the first time in over 15 years. I bought it last summer and when I got it the rear wheel were seized up and the tyres were flat and missing a few parts. Over the last 8 months or so I sourced some of these parts. When I got it I carried out a very simple maintenance routine. The tyres were pumped up back last summer (and they are still full of air), greased up all the nipples and freed up any moving parts especially the transmission hub which took a little while to free up. All these little things enable me to free wheel her easily onto the Hilux load bed yesterday evening. I was towed by his Wheel Horse (much to his delight!) to his workshop. Here are some photos of the 1254 and my mate's WH.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 04:14 PM

Good deal!  When you get that 1254 up and running you will be dragging that wheels horse around.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#3 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 04:25 PM

We are going to have a race around his garden when it's up and running.

Daniel suggested that it should be repainted but I like it as it is. However, he made the point that it gone over the wrong side of patina. I can see what he means. The 600 I bought recently just oozes originality as well as the Montgomery Wards Squire 10 I just bought. So maybe, the 1254 will be restored to its former glory whist the aforementioned GTs will be left as they are. I think I would like to see it up and running and then make a decision later on. I do have two hefty bills to pay for the shipping to finance so one thing at a time.

When I was towed to the workshop, I was struck by how precise the steering was and how smooth it moved along. There was no clanking or groaning so all that penetrating oil and greasing up must have made a difference; an encouraging sign I think!

Edited by Bolens800uk, May 24, 2015 - 04:33 PM.

• LPBolens and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 04:57 PM

All you have to do is pull the The free wheel Pin out on the inside of the Right hub and they push around really easy then.Those pins do rust fast from time to time and can be a bugger to remove.

Bolens tractors will not move without pulling that pin.If it does than the worm gear has alot of wear.

post-8-132893900114.jpg

• superaben and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#5 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 09:41 AM

That thing really moves in 3rd hi, you might have the edge in your race! Can't wait to see 'er running again!

• Bolens800uk said thank you