Garden Tractor Forums banner

before and after david bradley suburban

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  jabelman 
#1 ·
Well after a few months I got the suburban finished. Long story short this sat for years missing parts basically a parts machine or scrap. Spent most of the winter tracking down parts making parts and soaking it with pb blaster.
Spring came i tore it down and cleaned and repainted. My biggest fear was the clutch but to my surprise it freed right up. As for it running the 1st pull the fly wheel key sheared. (Should have just put a new one in).after that it fired right up. When I redid the engine I changed it from mechanical governor to an air vane setup. Found a nice decal kit online to finish it off. Only real issue was matching up the belts. The book#s didn't come close? I have it back to stock too with the right pulleys and spacers? I did decide to change to a larger engine belt 1 longer just so I can start it safer. Other than that runs and drives great. Maybe someday I will find the front rims but I am really not bothered by it. Well here it is enjoy and thanks for all the info i found on this site!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Great Job ! I am working on one myself , I can really appreciate all you have done with this . That is a beautiful Machine.

Reactions: classic and Gabriel
#10 ·
Nice, was wondering about how you mad the air vane govenor and how do you adjust it. Noel

Reactions: Gabriel
#11 ·
Thanks for kind words!
THe front rims original were 2 piece rims. Which if you need people think they are gold!
As for the governor setup the 143402 is the same engine as the 143302 with the difference being the governor. Basically finding the speed control the 2 links and the airvane. And removing the mechanical governor. For me the airvane seem simpler (sounds like another topic?)

Here some pics of the wheel. This took time Dremel ing the cracks and lots of filling and sanding. The factory one was welded on the shaft.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
#18 ·
Did you ever get these put on the tractor?

#20 ·
Don't get your hopes up too high. I may have a pair of rims for your D.B.

I bought a parts suburban last summer and shoved it into the corner. Give me a little time to dig it out and check the front rims.

They will be a little rough. I'll get some pics and let you know. hopefully we'll get you fixed up. Rick

#21 ·
I am looking for a set of those front rims as well. Soooo ... if you find more . :D

#22 ·
Don't get your hopes up too high. I may have a pair of rims for your D.B.
I bought a parts suburban last summer and shoved it into the corner. Give me a little time to dig it out and check the front rims.
They will be a little rough. I'll get some pics and let you know. hopefully we'll get you fixed up. Rick
great thanks rick, let me know just remember the one side has reverse thread bolt!!

#23 ·
great thanks rick, let me know just remember the one side has reverse thread bolt!!
Good thing you reminded me! I read your post and remembered about the left side being left hand thread, like the old Chrysler products.

I got the rims off. The tires are garbage which is too bad 'cause I like that 5 rib style.

Let me get the tires off and find out what it'll cost to send them to you.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
This might be your lucky day. If I dig deep enough I can come up with another set. Give me a little time.

Once I get jableman squared away I'll try to make your day. Rick
I hope you can - The ones on my machine were pretty bad - But with some time and effort :D I want to make my Uncles Day :smilewink:

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Wood

Oh and jabelman , I also have a converted motor with the airvane governer on it . Someone took the mechanical linkage off and it had none . So my uncle built one(air vane) using his machine's as a model . It works perfectly !!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.