25 replies to this topic

#16 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 06:40 AM

Hang in there and prepare just in case. Good luck.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#17 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Hehe, yes. Sorry for not typing right. Noel
  • trowel, TomLGT195 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 07:09 AM

sorry to hear about all that, this economy is really in the toilet even though so many of the politicians are saying it's recovering.

My work went through that back in 2009. Granted it was only 38 people but that was close to 40% of our work force. One guy had 31 yrs in and I worked with many for 15 plus yrs. The had us shutdown for summer maintenance, then they had their la

layoff letters FedEx's to them, could not even do it personally. Thankfully I had transferred to a different dept at the time, now I am back in the dept where everyone got layed off, I'm the only one left. 

I always wonder what I would do if it happened. I keep trying to get wife to get things paid off and money saved, but that;s a hard sell.

• Alc, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#19 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 08:09 AM

Ain't it wonderful the 'Change' someone said was gonna happen 6 years ago??  The place I work had 62K employees when I started and is now 2.5K..  I've been through layoff after layoff and the picking's are getting slim..  The next layoff will be a complete building closure I feel..  We are still plugging along and we are holding out hope to keep one of history's technological milestones going.  Meanwhile I won't be spending a ton of $$$ or racking up a ton of credit..  

• Alc, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 12:35 PM

I won't be spending a ton of $$$ or racking up a ton of credit..

That's going to be our key. We had planned on building a new home next year. We have the property with water power and septic on it. Not going to be building anytime soon. Not going to risk it right now.

We have 1 3 month old vehicle and my 3 year old truck. So no need for vehicles.

I am considering selling both ATVs. Awhile they are free and clear and cost no payment I could put another 7k in the bank.

We have no credit cards at all.

Our monthly bills with all house vehicles utilities and insurance could be paid on easily on my wife's salary if she went back to the hospital full time. We could save 400 a montg by getting rid of cell phones and the super cable/internet package.

I have always tried to live lean. But this last year we needed two vehicles and I will say we splurged a bit on those and bought 2 of the most expensive vehicles I've ever purchased. And even at mid 20s they are still "modest" vehicles when you can drop 50k on a 1/2 ton pick up.

I feel for you guys who have lost their jobs. I am still scared of this and its only a matter of time. I will hang on to the bitter end though. As my boss told me last night I am high enough in the food chain and in maintenance which would out us as the last to go.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 24, 2015 - 12:40 PM.

• Alc, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 04:26 PM

TMT you sound like a mature thinker. I hope it continues to work out for you.

. . . . . and that goes for the rest of you that have been left hanging. :thumbs:

Edited by LilysDad, May 24, 2015 - 04:28 PM.

• boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and BNK have said thanks

#22 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 07:23 PM

You can always make the money back but not the time with children. Get a new job with less hours.
  • Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 07:49 PM

You can always make the money back but not the time with children. Get a new job with less hours. 

This is very very true. You only get one life time, spend as much of it with your family as you can.

• toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#24 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Sorry to hear about the layoffs. about 5 years ago they shut the doors on the company I worked for.  It was a tough time but eventually everything worked out and now being retired I get to do what I want to do.  You are smart to start looking to a different direction, I don't think the energy industry is going to change much because of a new Political climate and even so it will take years to take affect.  Plus as Tom said you are missing out on the most important thing is life, your family.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 10:46 AM

I am going to ride it out till the bitter end. I always told people I'd leave when they locked the gates behind me.

Maybe my work and efforts can make us more profitable and keep the doors open longer. I do a lot with budgets, equipment purchases, rebuilds and purchases of maintenance supplies.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 25, 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#26 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 11:27 AM

They are calling back 200 people at one operation that were laid off. The other 350(at that operation) may have a chance to come back before the end of the summer.

So good news for some!

We were all talking the other day about this. I'm the youngest guy in the corporate maintenance group. Most of them need 5 years to retire. One is retiring Jan 1. My boss is taking his place as the supreme leader of the group. I told them if I can make it 18 years and get my kids raised and started on life I'd be the happiest guy in the world. After that I don't give a darn what happens to me.

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 07, 2015 - 11:32 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks