25 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 09:14 PM

Looks like the company I work for has decided to majorly downsize. 1800 lay offs happened today.

Not sure if I dodged a bullet or not. I didn't get called and no emails. I'm not scheduled back till tuesday.

If I go in tuesday and told I'm in the lay-off me and my wife have decided she would go back to work full time at the hospital and I'll go back to college for electrical/industrial engineering. Nice thing I can go to school for free and collect unemployment awhile I'm in college due to a program for laid of miners put in place in the early 90s.

this would cause a big life change for my family. As much as it saddens me and in a way hurts me since I've devoted 11 years of my life to this job it's basically the only job I've had. Maybe a career change and life change is what I need. I've been married to my work for the last 11 years. Honestly I've spent less than a 100 full days with my 10 month old son.

I hope I survive the layoff if i do it's a wake up call that I need to get my ducks in a row and save up and prepare so I can get out of the industry.

God has a plan for all of us. The path isn't always easy to follow.

Say a prayer for those displaced from Work. Going to be a rough road.
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, KennyP and 15 others have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 09:20 PM

Looks like the company I work for has decided to majorly downsize. 1800 lay offs happened today.

Not sure if I dodged a bullet or not. I didn't get called and no emails. I'm not scheduled back till tuesday.

If I go in tuesday and told I'm in the lay-off me and my wife have decided she would go back to work full time at the hospital and I'll go back to college for electrical/industrial engineering. Nice thing I can go to school for free and collect unemployment awhile I'm in college due to a program for laid of miners put in place in the early 90s.

this would cause a big life change for my family. As much as it saddens me and in a way hurts me since I've devoted 11 years of my life to this job it's basically the only job I've had. Maybe a career change and life change is what I need. I've been married to my work for the last 11 years. Honestly I've spent less than a 100 full days with my 10 month old son.

I hope I survive the layoff if i do it's a wake up call that I need to get my ducks in a row and save up and prepare so I can get out of the industry.

God has a plan for all of us. The path isn't always easy to follow.

Say a prayer for those displaced from Work. Going to be a rough road.

I feel for you, and admire you as well.

I was given 30 days notice on the first of March.

The only option a man has is to look at his options, make the hard choice and get it done.

Good luck on your future. Its not the end of the world yet.

• Alc, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 09:38 PM

We'll be praying for you as well as your buddies sent home.  Sounds like you have the right perspective, though.  God is still God, and He knows what is coming down the road long before we even get a close idea.

Ben W.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 10:18 PM

Well, I just talked to my boss and probably my best friend(the guy I do all the fishing with) right after I posted that he finally returned my call.

He said I am fine.  That there is more to this than just what it seems on the surface.  As with this company, there usually is.  You guys can read about it if you do a google about coal mine lay offs.  But that doesn't help the guys who are laid off. 

Lot's of my work friends are not so good.  I am so upset that I feel like crying.  I've worked some of these guys for many years.  The kind of work relationships where you know about their wives, children, successes and failures.  Working closely with these guys, they are like my extended family.

The one guy I talked to today at the memorial day festival was holding his 3 week old daughter, and they just moved into their new home.  He was about in tears telling me how he lost his job.   

I just feel sick to my stomach.  I know now what I have to do and what I need to work towards.  Things are on a decline and I need to prepare myself financially for a career change.  Unless we have a major change in the political direction next year.

Me and the wife are going to sit down and make a list of what we need to do to prepare for this.  I am not going to be taken by surprise and with my pants down(been caught that way before, hard to run with them around your ankles).  Told my wife building a new house is flat out now.  I am not putting up the cash or tieing myself into a huge mortage.  Also buying any new toys, or big vacations are out for the next few years.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 23, 2015 - 10:19 PM.

• Alc, Cvans, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 10:27 PM

I'm not sure if it would be better for you to survive the lay-offs or not. Sounds like you will just be postponing the inevitable.

However this turns out I'm hoping the best for you.

• Alc, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 10:40 PM

I'm not sure if it would be better for you to survive the lay-offs or not. Sounds like you will just be postponing the inevitable.

However this turns out I'm hoping the best for you.

I AGREE 100%.  All this has done for me is to give me time to prepare.  This has been an eye opener for me, as I never have even thought I might lose my job.

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 10:49 PM

Sounds like your well on your way to planning for a better future. Being ready "just in case" is a good idea. Many people don't want to think about something like that until it's too late. We went through this when out facility closed.  I was ready to retire. Most weren't prepared to do anything. Very sad situation. 

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 11:32 PM

I went through a major job loss back in 1983....wasn't good at all. A lot of lives were changed about 1200 in a year. Like you it was my first real job of ten years. I started my building & remodeling business in 1983 & still at it. I still miss my Co workers like you mentioned they were like family. We made the best of it. Back then it was two new vehicles, boat, new home & a lot of stuff we didn't need. We learned fast the basics of life is what's important. We never allowed ourselves to get into that mess again. Glad you were not layed off but will be praying God opens doors for the others.

Edited by Sawdust, May 23, 2015 - 11:33 PM.

• Cvans, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 12:36 AM

I'm glad that you are still employed and that you realize the uncertainty of life. I was laid off at 59 years old and haven't found a job in the 4 years since. Fortunately, I had my US Army retirement and Social Security to fall back on. It just covers my bills but ,if I had  debts, I'd be in trouble. I burn wood to heat, which saves over $1000 each year.

The economy is much worse than the government is telling us. With fallen oil prices, all aspects of the energy industry have been hurt. Wall Street is riding a phony wave which I fear will collapse when one of the big companies fail due to excess debt.

My son has a degree in EE, but in the past year he has only had one job interview. He also has a degree in Nuclear Engineering but hasn't had an interview in 2 years. With several nuclear plants shut down, the markets are flooded with experienced workers.

I remember the conversation when you were considering the move to the new job. The travelling is tough but hang on to it for now. Prepare for the uncertain future. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 24, 2015 - 12:39 AM.

• Cvans, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#10 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 01:52 AM

I have been there myself with the threat of redundancy in the back ground. I worked for one organisation for 18 years and like you I devoted my life to my career. In my last job within the organisation, I decided that it was not for me (I was managing 4 gardens with a team of 10 gardeners and approximately 100 garden volunteers). In the last year of my job, I developed my own gardening business and building it up until I felt I could strike out alone. I have now done just over 3 years this month and I haven't really looked back. I am not stressed nor am I 'thinking about work problems' and I am physically fitter and I have more family time.

The one thing I find is that you must be prepared for change as nothing ever stays the same. If you can do night school to do a skilled course, it would be a back up plan. You only have to look at the UK mining industry back in the 1980s destroyed by Margaret Thatcher's Conservative Government to see the poverty the ex miners of South Wales and N. E. England. There's still a lot of bitterness even after some 30 years.

Best of luck with whatever you do; it sound like you're one step ahead of the game.

Andrew
  • Alc, Cvans, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 05:39 AM

What I was going to say has been already said.
Just posting to show support for the guys who got laid off and to say good luck in your planning.
  • boyscout862, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 05:49 AM

Been through a few layoffs and they aren't fun. Hope you can be ready if/when it does come.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#13 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 06:09 AM

I sorely can feel for you and your coworkers.... I (and around 1,400 others) went through several lay-off's, strikes and two "lock outs" the 27 yrs I was employed; yes we were union, no we were not wanting more pay on the strike issue. No one won in our chess game, it was stalemate. But life goes on, I choose another route and it looks to me that you are prepared if need be. Believe me I have seen the tears in our fight.   

• Alc, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#14 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 06:17 AM

I was laid off too about a month ago. Nothing yet for me. Noel

Edited by propane1, May 24, 2015 - 06:47 AM.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 06:24 AM

I was laid too about a month ago. Nothing yet for me. Noel

Noel, you got laid also ? a month ago ! was she worth it :D

Sorry, I am not helping. Was part of a nasty lay off, employed for ABX hub Airborn in Wilmington, Ohio. 7,000 people in less then a year.

Edited by trowel, May 24, 2015 - 06:27 AM.

• boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks