#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,310 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Sad Sad news the old Tecumseh HH100 after receiving a new rod,piston,rings and full gasket kit has Just broken down.Still starts up and runs super smooth but has a faint but noticeable knock.I took the side off of it and the darn Nuts on the rod were loose as heck.This is a brand new connecting rod with new lock nuts.I think I'm going to remove the flat washers and put lock washers on.I torqued the nuts twice when I installed them.1 time to seat the cap then loosen and re-torque.

However I Just came from the local scrap yard and found a GEM of an engine that might just fit.It's an 18hp V-Twin Briggs that came out of a 2000 series Cub Cadet.The tractor it came out of was in Horrible cosmetic condition.The paint was peeling off in sheets and it had been unloaded from someones trailer with the claw down at the yard.So pretty much the whole tractor got bent to heck and busted up.Deck was completely rotted out and crushed.The hour meter read 548 hours.I pulled the engine and front rims and tires.

$40 got me the engine and a set of really good front tires and decent rims.

I Just got it back to the house and put away in the shed.It needs some cleaning but compression feels really good and the fuel that came out of the line smelled pretty fresh.

So I need to decide on which engine.The one that I don't use will be sold pretty cheap.I will have to put a set of Suburban rear fenders and gas tank under the seat BUT I also know where there's a parts tractor with those parts and I can get them very very cheap lol.

I think I might just swap the Twin into it.I plan on keeping this tractor.I've never had a mower that mowed as good as this one.It could use a bit more power for mowing the little 10hp grunts pretty hard.It mows super nice and steers sharp and I have a front blade and 3 point for on it.

The tecumseh has the old 1 piece mag so I'm thinking $150 for it would be more than fair.It runs good.I'll be listing 1 of these engines in the classifieds after I've made up my mind on what to do.

Well it's like this If the Briggs will fit Under the hood after I remove the gas tank than it will more than likely be going in it for good lol

It's going to be a little Beasty bugger if the briggs will fit.I don't want to cut on the hood at all if possible.

• shorty, Dieselcubmike, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,310 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:39 PM

I'll post a few pics of the Briggs and the little Custom 10E.She's a good little tractor and one of my favorites.I took her though town in the Memorial day parade today and she started to knock on the way home.

LOL the Parade consisted of 1 high school band,a bunch of war vets in a hay wagon,a bout a dozen old farm tractors,2 dozen older Garden Tractors,6 old cars and a pickup and the local fire company trucks.It's the same every year.Even the Band plays the same song every year since I moved here back in the late 80s. :rolling: 

Don't ya love small towns?  :thumbs:  

• KennyP, Dieselcubmike and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 10:04 PM

Im going to be doing the same thing eric. I picked up a hatz single cylinder diesel at the local scrap yard for a few bucks and want to transplant it but its too big to fit under the hood and id rather not hack up the sheet metal. Our parade is the same as well especially with Dawson days coming up here soon. Usually a small band or 2 will play then a parade and little things here and there with a car show and fire works on the last day.

• EricFromPa and propane1 have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,310 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hey I did a BUNCH of measuring today and It WILL fit under the hood but I had to grab a muffler and muffler shroud today off of a cub cadet 1440 that my neighbor bought at the same scrap yard a couple years ago.This muffler will clear the hood with Plenty of room to spare about 1 inch lol.

The engine on it was toast but he kept most of the engine parts.The hood and dash was mangled up on that one to He bought it for the Deck and wheels and tires.

Here's some pics with measurements.I was surprised it is not much taller than the HH100 It has about 2 1/2 inches to spare.I will have to cut the gas tank bracket off and possibly cut 2 inches out of the grill on the Blower housing side but it will not be noticeable at all if I use the jug saw and measure correctly.

Pics.

18hp blower housing Widest part of the engine is 15 inches.

100_1347.JPG

Blower housing on HH100 Take the starter genny cover off and plenty of room on that side But I may have to cut 2 inches out of the grill side.

100_1353.JPG

HH100 crank to top of hood.13"

100_1349.JPG

18hp briggs crank to top of air cleaner.11"

100_1348.JPG

HH100 with block spacer is 6" to top of crank which is the same as the Briggs without the spacer so Belt length and angle will not be a problem.

100_1350.JPG

HH100 Block Spacer

100_1351.JPG

Cub Cadet 1440 Muffler Loosely installed on the 18hp briggs.I have the Muffler shield also but it might need to be cut to clear the hood.

100_1346.JPG

Someone took the Electric PTO off of it down at the yard but that's ok I don't need it.The cranks are the same size but I do want to use a Suburban Drive pulley since I need a new drive belt soon anyway.The drive pulley is really small on the Custom 10 and a Suburban pulley will give me a bit more speed.The engine will be able to handle it no problem.

I had All the tins off the Briggs today and cleaned it up and set the valves,changed the oil and cleaned the carb.I jumped it over hooked to a small gas tank and it fired up and ran really good.I let it run at about 1/2 throttle for a good 15-20 minutes.It runs smooth Sounds awesome and doesn't smoke at all.I think I'm just gona pull the Tecumseh and go for it.

My sears tractor parts connection (Ethan Lingenfelter) :wallbanging:  has the fenders,a clean rust free under seat gas tank and seat spring that I will need.He told me $40 for everything so that's not TO bad.

Oh I put 2 new lock washers under the HH100 connecting rod nuts,a drop of Blue loctite and re-torqued them and put it back together.Filled it with fresh oil and fired it up.It's not knocking at all now.I mowed the yard with it a bit ago and it runs and sounds the way it should.I got lucky the nuts didn't back off any more before I caught it.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 24, 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,310 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 05:10 PM

The 18hp briggs had been leaking oil for a while out of the breather.The gasket was hard and the rubber seal under the nut had a crack in it.I ordered valve cover gaskets,the breather gasket and O-Ring and 2 new exhaust gaskets because they fell apart when I removed the original muffler.

Hey I have $54 into the engine and $40 to move the gas tank under the seat.$94 total.That's not bad at all.

I gota get some decals made up that say Sears Custom 18 Twin.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 24, 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 09:28 AM

Sounds like a good swap. I still like my old Tecumsehs.
Sorry you have to buy from Ethan, though he seems fair with face to face sales.