Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote for Featured Tractor June 2015

voting featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote for Featured Tractor June 2015 (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for Featured Tractor June 2015

1. John Deere 110 - JohnDeere110 (6 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

2. Snowflite by MTD - propane1 (2 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. Springfield 36 - Nxt2doc (7 votes [9.21%])

Percentage of vote: 9.21%

4. Bolens 1050 - Alberta Bolens (3 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

5. Bolens 1254 - gardentractornut (3 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

6. Wheel Horse 310-8 grnlark (11 votes [14.47%])

Percentage of vote: 14.47%

7. Cub Cadet Circus Cub - DB1 (15 votes [19.74%])

Percentage of vote: 19.74%

8. Bolens HT23 - BTS (5 votes [6.58%])

Percentage of vote: 6.58%

9. Massey Ferguson MF14 - Minton Garden Tractors (8 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

10. Sears Handiman - Bob IN (9 votes [11.84%])

Percentage of vote: 11.84%

11. Wheel Horse Suburban - dxman (7 votes [9.21%])

Percentage of vote: 9.21%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 06:11 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of June has now officially started. This month was an open month.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of June and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 11 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• John Deere 110 - JohnDeere110
  • Snowflite by MTD - propane1
  • Springfield 36 - Nxt2doc
  • Bolens 1050 - Alberta Bolens
  • Bolens 1254 - gardentractornut
  • Wheel Horse 310-8 - grnlark
  • Cub Cadet Circus Cub - DB1
  • Bolens HT23 - BTS
  • Massey Ferguson MF14 - Minton Garden Tractors
  • Sears Handiman - Bob IN
  • Wheel Horse Suburban - dxman

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• BTS, propane1, Dennisjeax and 4 others have said thanks

#2 JohnDeere110 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69034
  • 133 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Here is my 1965 John Deere 110. I bought it just over a month ago as my first tractor for $250.

I started looking at round fender 110s for sale on the internet, but thought how am I ever going to find one of those around where I live. Well, my dad and I took in his mowing deck for his 214 to a local repairman to get welded back together and there sitting in his garage was a John Deere 110. I asked what he was going to do with it and he said he was going to sell it. So of course I asked how much and he said $300.

After a week of asking my parents if they could sacrifice some more room in their garage they finally said I could buy it. So far I haven’t really done much to it other than sanding some rust off, cleaning the carburetor and getting the air cleaner on. I still need to put new seals in the transmission, paint it, and just the usual touch up here and there. I also plan on getting Ag tires and an exhaust stack on it. IMG_4972.JPG IMG_4976.JPG IMG_4823.JPG IMG_4973.JPG

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 16 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,864 Thanks
  • 3,108 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 10:59 AM

I will enter my fathers snow blower. It is a 1968 Snowflite made by MTD. My father bought it used in 1969.  I was so excited to have this machine, it was going to move the snow, so that meant less snow shoveling, and it had 6 forward gears and 1 reverse. It could drive its self, I was excited. I would go to the garage and drive around a bit, after asking my father first, I was 12 years old at the time. The impeller drives ahead, the same direction as the auger, like a thrower, but is two stage. Never could figure out the reason for it built that way. It has a lock for the handle so it will drive with out you having to hold the handle. No safeties on this machine.

My father and I used it for years, father used it until about 1993. He was then unable to use it any more do to health and age, he died May 9/95. After he died I was very upset and it took me over 3 months before I could go into the garage and stay there long enough to clean things out. I started sell stuff to get rid of it and to lessen the hurt when I saw the things. So the snowblower was sold, but I did take some stuff home, that I could fit in my garage.

Years later I often wondered if it was still working and where it was. I went to a house one day to do a service call, and there it was, dads snowblower. I could hardly believe my eyes. I told the owner that we had owned it at one time, he said that it still works and he uses it. So I said that if he ever wanted to sell it, I would buy it. In 2008 I got the call to come and get it, I went right away. I got it for 50 bucks still working, I was just as excited as I was years ago when we first got it. 

I still use it once or twice a year, just to keep it moving and for the memories.  Thanks for reading and looking.  I wonder what will happen to it after I am gone, my son does not have the same memories that I have about it of course, Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 001.jpg
  • Picture 002.jpg
  • Picture 003.jpg
  • Picture 004.jpg
  • Picture 005.jpg
  • Picture 006.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#4 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66603
  • 622 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 12:00 PM

I'll give it a whirl. I would like to nominate my 1963 Springfield 36. My grandfather had one like this when I was young. He passed away in 1982 when I was 15. Shortly after this his Springfield went away, probably to scrap as it had a cracked transmission.

He retired early due to his first heart attack in 1976.This kept him home a lot and with me living just up the street I spent quite a bit of time at Pappaws house. I remember the blade he made for the front out of a section out of a hot water tank. He had a cart that he would pull behind it made out of a rather large dolly that had cast iron wheels. It had a tilt bed on it that he actuated with a crank that pulled the front of the bed up a toothed bar. With his 6th grade education he sure managed to cobble quite a few projects together.

Anyway time marches on and I find myself waxing nostalgic about his Springfield. This eventually led me to this place where with some help from Casey I found one priced right and not too far away. Its all I ever hoped for and more as it has a slot hitch which Pappaws didn't have.

Now this old tractor has its forever home and I have already started on making new memories with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• WIN_20150517_141829.JPG
  • WIN_20150517_141916.JPG
  • WIN_20150517_141836.JPG
  • WIN_20150517_141852.JPG
  • WIN_20150517_141858.JPG
  • 11011232_10200517257851003_2526356731972727390_n.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 12 others have said thanks

#5 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 428 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 06:08 PM

Good Day

I would like to nominate my 1968 Bolens 1050.

My brother in law Tony bought this tractor from a neighbour in the early to mid 70's.  They had to pull it over to his house as it wouldn't start.  It came with tiller, snow blower, blade, mower deck and trailer.  Tony used it to cut his acre of grass for years until he wore the mower deck out.  Also for several years he did snow removal from 1 1/2 miles of sidewalk for the hamlet he lived in.  He did get larger 4x4 tractor for pushing snow and a different mower tractor.  The only repairs he did to the bolens was a clutch pack and rings in the engine. I offer to buy the bolens if he decided to sell it.

Couple of years later in spring of 1996 he called me said, "Come get the Bolens".  He gave it to me and said I should be able to get couple of years out of it.  LOL.  Little did he know.

Since then I have landscaped my yard, moved gravel for my garage pad, skidded trees, pushed snow.  Its been my work horse.  Only repairs i have made is rebuilt the gen/starter and I went into tall grass which wound around the drive shaft and damaged the seal on the front of the transmission.  I have found a mower deck for it which I am in the process of rebuilding.

On Jan 2 of 2013 Tony had fairly severe stroke. Which affected his speech, memory and some mobility on his right side.  He has come a long ways in recovering it is slow work.  He still has trouble with some words etc.

About 1 1/2 years after his stroke they came up to visit.  The 1050 was sitting hooked to the trailer in the yard.  He laughed pointing at it saying the car still goes.  

Needless to say this Bolens 1050 is a keeper and was the 1st of my fleet.

(In the group photo its the one with the blade)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20131020-00042#1.jpg
  • IMG-20150518-00013.jpg
  • IMG-20150518-00014.jpg
  • IMG-20140721-00394.jpg
  • IMG-20140721-00392.jpg

Edited by Alberta Bolens, May 18, 2015 - 06:11 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#6 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 323 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 09:54 PM

I suppose I could give this a try. I would like to nominate my first-ever real GT, my 1971 Bolens 1254.

The story behind the 1254 was a lazy Saturday morning. We were doing nothing that day, and I asked my Dad what his plans were for the day. He showed me an auction bill just a few miles East of our place. "There looks to be some nice garden hoes and such. Even a lawnmower" Looking farther down, I said to my Dad, "that ain't no lawn mower, that's a Bolens GT! Dad, when are we leaving??" So we went to the auction, I got really exited when I saw her sitting out in the open with the tiller mounted on the back. I immediately went over to it (casually, so as not to show my interest. despite my efforts, I think I failed at that). I was out of my mind of how heavy-duty the thing was. It came with a Tiller, snowcaster, and deck. AND the original owner's manual and engine manual. Knowing it was a gamble, not running, and looking in rather rough shape, I set my limit at $200. 

Before the bidding, we met a friend and local farmer, who had hired me for mechanic work and such. We got talking about me plowing for him. And eventually we talked about what he was looking at, and then what I was looking at. I showed him the GT, and he asked me what I was gonna pay for it. Note that he's kind of a cheaper guy, and not the mechanically savvy guy, that's why he hired me to work on his machinery. I told him, $200. "What?! 200 bucks! It ain't worth that, I'd give a hundred" I was kinda like, okay then, but it's worth more than 200.

When it came time to bid on it, I got like I always do when I want something at an auction, jittery and exited. I was going to lean on a pontoon that they were selling and tap my Dad's shoulder to bid. So the bidding started and I was having a heart attack! I stayed in through the whole thing and won it at the end (betcha you didn't guess that!). My Dad says to me, "what shoulder were you tapping on?" I told him the right one. He said, "I think Jim (the farmer) was also bidding it up, as he was standing on my left side!" 

It was all in good nature, as he knew my high bid. 

As always, there was Charlie's Lunch Wagon at the auction. I asked my Dad and Jim if they wanted a brat, I was celebrating. So, I went and got 3 brats to celebrate my first GT. That's better than a horrible-tasting diet A&W for celebrating getting my Snapper  :bigrofl:

I mainly use it as an all-around machine, mostly because my Snapper LT12 is undergoing a repaint. I plan to use it mostly for tilling and heavy work where my Snapper can't compete.

And that's the story of getting my first GT. Good luck to everybody!

Attached Thumbnails

• 002 (5).JPG
  • 002 (2).JPG
  • 025.JPG

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#7 grnlark OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2691
  • 328 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 07:35 AM

This is my original, unrestored Wheel Horse 310-8. As you can see, it has very little use and has been very well preserved. I bought it from the original owner who claims he never cared for it and never used it. When I bought it, it was in dire need of a head to toe cleaning and detailing. I spent a solid month taking things apart, cleaning, polishing and waxing. I remember at one point asking myself, are you really waxing the transmission? 

I made a few changes and fixed a few small items. I upgraded all the wheels to 520 rims and tires, which are a bit larger. To make it still sit level I also swapped 520 front spindles on it. I wanted to add a 520 chrome heat shield to the muffler, which required I upgrade to a 414 muffler. The final touch (en route via US Mail as we speak) are the dust caps for the front wheels.

Now it sits under a cover in my garage so it doesn’t get dusty.   :D 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

Edited by grnlark, May 21, 2015 - 06:41 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:01 AM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• circus cub 2.jpg
  • Circus cub.jpg
  • circus cub tail.jpg
  • Circus cub 1.jpg
  • tiger in the jungle.jpg
  • post-7710-0-50111000-1366663243.jpg
  • project 2.jpg
  • project 3.jpg
  • project.jpg
  • tiger in the jungle.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 12 others have said thanks

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,637 Thanks
  • 1,673 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 11:55 AM

I guess I'll give this a go again.

I'd like to nominate my Bolens HT23, I got this for only $100 , it was in rough shape and not running. I put a new starter on it, then cleaned the carburetor, it fired right up and has been running great for a couple years now. I have added several things to it, one is a John Deere quick attach mount so I could use a 54" blade that I had. I also built a lousy looking but practical 3-point that works really well. I have used the 3-pt with a box blade, angel blade and ripper.

I'm now making the mower deck hydraulic drive and I'm going to mount it on the front of the GT. This will make it easier to take on and off. It will also help me mow under trees better and fences ect. This GT is used in the garden a lot and is ran nearly every day doing one thing or another. I would like to paint this it one of these days, although this is never going to be a "original" tractor, it's probably going to have lots of different modifications through it's life till one day it's a pile of dust and blows away :rolling:

Here is a video of it with the front blade

Attached Thumbnails

• 6-14-2014 003.jpg
  • 6-14-2014 004.jpg
  • 6-14-2014 005.jpg
  • 6-14-2014 011.jpg
  • 6-14-2014 012.jpg
  • Bolens Box Blade 009.jpg
  • 1-18-15 003.jpg

Edited by BTS, May 19, 2015 - 03:31 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, OldBuzzard and 4 others have said thanks

#10 MintonGardenTractors OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67829
  • 78 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 09:39 AM

My MF14 1976 model.
My Massey was purchased on my birthday by my dad. It has the rare 3 point hitch on it with a brinly sleeve hitch adapter for it. The tractor has mostly done nothing but work in the garden more than mowing(even though i have a mowing deck for it). The tractor is the hydro drive and is a tough and dependable tractor on the farm. The Massey tractor also has the original wheel weights on them which I bought separately.

The Massey brand is what i like the most and plan on never leaving it. But when my dad bought it , it had come with several attachments for it like brinly plows and discs, but i bought a cultivator from the flea market and plan on making it bigger and custom for the little tractor. But it does not show no struggle in the garden plowing and discing, in fact it does a better job than what I thought it would do.
The tractor is something i plan on keeping for the rest of my life and plan on restoring it for a summer project.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Gtractor, MH81, Delmar and 4 others have said thanks

#11 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 06:27 PM

Im nominating my 1935 Sears Handiman. I bought this last winter. Had a friend go pick it up for me. It is type number 60500. Serial number 495. And model number C35. It came with the the spike tooth harrow, and a  few cultivator shanks. I have only had a little time to mess with it. It sure looks mean to handle. But with the steering breaks and the reverse, its really not to bad at all.

The reverse did not come standard on this tractor. It was not offered till 1936, but could be retrofitted on older models. The reverse is a belt driven rubber pulley, that comes up against the main drive pulley and just drives the transmission backwards.  I have since replaced the wheels with wheels with nicer lugs. I believe this tractor worked pretty hard in the past and that's why most of the lugs are broken or wore away. A restoration is in its future. But for now its just taking a break. (Because I broke the darn drive belt). But its always something. Im just glad I found on in this nice of shape.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1459.JPG
  • IMG_1464.JPG
  • IMG_1462.JPG

• Gtractor, MH81, Delmar and 5 others have said thanks

#12 dxman OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 39591
  • 31 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 02:47 PM

Showing my Wheel Horse Suburban 400 or 500. How I got it was my Dad was driving down the road when he saw it and told my brother about it. My brother went and got it, and I bought it from him for $50 and had it powder coated.  It cost about $150 with sandblasting.  I got a new set of tires for it.  It's done but I still need a Kohler k91, so if you have one i would be interested in buying it thanks 

Attached Thumbnails

• b.jpg
  • chupp.jpg
  • new wh.jpg
  • new wheel.jpg

• Gtractor, MH81, Delmar and 5 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3