#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 08:05 PM

I said the Cub Cadet was going to be the last tractor ..... I was reminded to day that I had committed to another and that I should hold true to my word. As my conscience was bothering me about the commitment I said yes I did and went tonight to get the National Walking Tractor. I didn't have to go far for it as it was in the back shed. It has been there for a very long time. We used it for many many years and then we put it away and I kind of forgot about it. My brother got it for us at a garage sale one day about 15 years ago. It served us well all around the yard and don't really know why we stopped using it. My wife ( and task manager) reminded me the other day and again yesterday and today that I had said I would get it going again for her. So tonight I took it to the garage and started the restoration of it.  Not sure where to begin but I started by taking it apart. To my surprise all the bolts, screws, and cotter pins came out in good condition.  Got to where there was to many mosquitoes out for me and it was getting cold. Supposed to get down to 29 again here tonight in Northern Michigan so I called it a night. Hope I can get it going again so the wife can use it. That will make her happy. 

Time to watch the ball game and have a cool drink while I contemplate the restoration. Thanks for reading and I will let you know how it goes.                                                                                                      Roger

Wait, What, Huh you guys want to see pictures, ya don't think I have it, Oh so it ain't so unless there are pictures, Ok if you insist here are some before and while starting the tear-down pics.

DSCF9351.JPG

Pic of the motor ( ha, ha )

DSCF9340.JPG

DSCF9344.JPG

DSCF9346.JPG

As a side note, I found out that theses are still being made in Lincoln Nebraska. Stll neat looking little sprinklers. thanks.  Roger

• Alc, lyall, MFDAC and 13 others have said thanks

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 08:21 PM

Neat story, Roger. Noel
  • hamman and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 09:52 PM

Roger, Possession is 9/10 the law, right? Since you've had this for that long, I'd think the storage outweighs the value. You are not allowed to claim this as a new acquisition. If you want to get out of this hobby, just follow olde GL Grumpy to learn how many "last ones" you'll have!!      :D

• hamman, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, saying this is the last one to Mama got old about 10 tractors ago, heh! I thought this was about a walk-behind Garden tractor, then see it was a SPRINKLER?  Geez, maybe you do need a new tractor to work on!

• hamman said thank you

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 12:43 AM

Years ago, a german chancellar said, years ago: "Was geht mich mein Geschwätz von gestern an!" If you and your "task manager" :bigrofl: enjoy it - well, then the task must be done!

• hamman said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 05:56 AM

They are still made but yours is much better as the new ones are all plastic, spelled ' j u n k '.
  • hamman said thank you

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:27 AM

I see those for sale around here all the time. Do they really work?

• hamman said thank you

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:48 AM

I see those for sale around here all the time. Do they really work?

This one works great. We could string out 150' of hose and turn it on and let it run while we went visiting or shopping and when we got back home a couple of hours later it was nearing the end of the hose. It probably was watering a area of 30 feet in diameter. When we got it it was missing one of the nozzles on the arm. I worked in the HVAC business then and I too an gas burner orifice and it screwed right into the arm and worked great. We were always going to paint it up Allis Chalmers orange but never got around to it. Now it will have a coat of green silver and red that it came in. Thanks.                                                           Roger

• DougT and MFDAC have said thanks