• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 07:44 PM

so the engineers took off early when they designed my 42 in deck ( simplicity .. I think..its red anyway but it might be for my 712h )

well they forgot my grease zerks . I am confident one of you helpful folks have a solution . also having a heck of a time getting the pulleys off . you guys got any tricks for these two issues .

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 08:10 PM

Many brands of mower decks used sealed ball bearings, so a grease fitting would serve no purpose.
  • alec and chieffan have said thanks

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 09:00 PM

I have seen bearings in non greaseable quills with the inner seals removed. Not sure if they were OEM. There are good places to drill and tap for zerks in most.
I dont mind changing bearings and usually get 3 or 4 years out of the cheap Chinese bearings.
  • alec, holdenboy1960 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 04:23 AM

My smaller rider has the sealed bearings. I ran it over 10 years before any got rough. Another thought, if you take a sealed bearing application and start lubing, it does attract debris. When I was on a mason crew, our mechanic would take the grease zerks out. The guys would pump it full of grease and then forget about it for a while. Then the sand gets in and eats the balls. We had longer life without greasing.

• alec, holdenboy1960 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 06:03 AM

My smaller rider has the sealed bearings. I ran it over 10 years before any got rough. Another thought, if you take a sealed bearing application and start lubing, it does attract debris. When I was on a mason crew, our mechanic would take the grease zerks out. The guys would pump it full of grease and then forget about it for a while. Then the sand gets in and eats the balls. We had longer life without greasing.

There are a lot of things that get way over greased.  "Pump grease till you see it come out" and the seals that are designed to keep dirt out and opened up to let the crud in.  Most mower decks will run a long time if you give the spindals one stroke on a gun ever 8 - 10 hours of run time.  It take me about 2 hours to mow and I grease about every 4th time, one pump in each one.  Wheel bushing and steering links get it a little more often.

• shorty, WHdbJD, sodisr and 1 other said thanks