• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • Member No: 40532
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 12:35 PM

My LGT 145 with K321 is letting me down. Ran fine all last summer until near the end when it became more difficult to start. Now, it's almost impossible. Cranks and cranks and sounds like it wants to fire but doesn't, and also lots of backfiring from carburetor with filter housing off - even flames! I cleaned and reset the carb to initial settings, checked point gap which was OK,  cleaned and gapped the plug, but still no go. Should I be looking at something else? Help

Edited by Jagman, May 22, 2015 - 12:35 PM.

• WillllieMamb said thank you

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 12:50 PM

Obviously you have spark if its back firing thru the carb,,, sounds like a timing issue,,,, I've found my K321 is one of the hardest starting engines I've ever had ,,, check and clean the points, maybe you will get a better spark 

• Chopperhed and Jagman have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 01:23 PM

You could have a points problem, a sticking intake valve, or the flywheel shear key may be damaged. Go through the Kohler Manual for the proper troubleshooting techniques. Good Luck, Rick

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 01:55 PM

You could have a points problem, a sticking intake valve, or the flywheel shear key may be damaged. Go through the Kohler Manual for the proper troubleshooting techniques. Good Luck, Rick

Check your points and pull the valve cover to verify proper valve movements..  Don't worry about the sheared key if it has an external 12V coil..  

Another possible cause is a plugged muffler..  

• Lmiller3358 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 03:14 PM

First thing I would do is get rid of the points and condenser and put an electronic ignition on. If it is a single cylinder of course. I changed one of mine it solved a lot of starting and running issues..
  • Lmiller3358 said thank you

#6 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 05:46 PM

Have you de-carbed the combustion chamber?
It's part of the recommended maintanace.

#7 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for all the helpful tips. We had house guests this weekend, so I never checked the forum. Actually, I thought if there was a reply to a topic, you were notified by email, but maybe that's just when someone posts a new topic. Anyway, I'm going to start with checking the points and condenser, then the muffler, as this spring I had lots of mouse nests behind the front grill but never thought to check the muffler. The engine was rebuilt about two years ago but it could be carboned up. If my electrical changes don't have any effect, I'll check the head and valves. Will report my results.

#8 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 11:42 AM

Obviously you have spark if its back firing thru the carb,,, sounds like a timing issue,,,, I've found my K321 is one of the hardest starting engines I've ever had ,,, check and clean the points, maybe you will get a better spark 

This may be a dumb question, but my manual is a little short on timing directions. Am I correct that if I rotate the flywheel past the 'S' mark where the points just start to open, and I keep rotating the flywheel and measure the points gap when it appears that the points are fully open, whether the piston is on the compression or exhaust stroke, that the timing will be set correctly?

#9 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 09:47 PM

This may be a dumb question, but my manual is a little short on timing directions. Am I correct that if I rotate the flywheel past the 'S' mark where the points just start to open, and I keep rotating the flywheel and measure the points gap when it appears that the points are fully open, whether the piston is on the compression or exhaust stroke, that the timing will be set correctly?

All you have to do it rotate the crankshaft until the points plunger is out completely. then measure the gap between the two contacts on the points. It should be: .020" using a feeler guage.

The symptoms you are describing sounds like it's related to the point timing. Make sure there is no carbon built on up the points. You can use a piece of paper to clean them, but don't use sandpaper as the material can rub into the contacts and ruin them. They are not expensive to replace. I would even recommend replacing your points, condenser, and spark plug all in one shot.

Edited by FilledTires, May 26, 2015 - 09:48 PM.