Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens 800 got to do some tilling in the garden.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Dad has been anxious to try out the tiller on one of his Bolens garden tractors. Well today he finally got a chance and I took a little video. First though some info, we are getting a load of cow poo next weekend so we didn't want to till the whole garden till we get it spread. We also have some mulch that was shredded at the end of summer to spread out as well. Then we will till the whole garden.

I don't think we did the best job when we plowed, I don't think we sunk the plows deep enough, we also think that they had a stone parking area at the garden spot at one time and covered it with top soil. There is still a lot of green grass in the turned soil and it made for some tough tilling and we also need some practice. The Bolens 800 still did a good job at it considering how tough the sod was. I will get some more video then when we till again after spreading the manure and wood chips.

Dad also has two tillers for his Bolens. One of them is in better shape then the other one and he wanted to use the one that was in worse shape to beat on first :D

Here is the video:

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,212 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:39 PM

Looks like fun to me, thanks for the video.
Them round back tillers never worked very well any way and chain's and tiller dont mix well. .02

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:12 PM

I really enjoyed getting the 800 and tiller in the garden. This being the first year and having turned sod to start the garden I knew it wouldn't be easy to get a perfect soil bed. I was really surprised at how nice a job the tiller did under difficult circumstances. The garden will only get easier to till each year. I'm looking forward to at least get something planted and watch it grow.

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Looks like you were having some fun there. And on a second note just seen Georges massy video and he seamed to have his new loaders eye on that fresh turned soil. You might what to keep a eye on him lol

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:34 PM

With turning sod, always best to do in the fall to give all winter to break down. But as Grand said, it'll become a better garden each year. Took 2 years for my garden to really get in shape, after it was a calf field. Lots of old calf bedding, and any other stuff I could add to loosen the soil, some lime & lots of nitrogen to aid the breaking down of the organic material, and it is a great garden.
My very first tilling, after plowing this section of calf field, it took quite a few passes to finally get it in shape for planting. And my Massey tiller looks to turn 2 to 3 times faster than this Bolens tiller too. So have patience....it'll get there. All adds up to more seat time, and every pass is smoother on the behind & back! lol

#6 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Make a few passes with a walk behind tiller in those conditions and you'll really appreciate the Bolens.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,696 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the video George!
I still got lingering snow here and it is in the upper 20's LOL. No tilling for me. I'm anxious to finally have the hydro lift for the tiller.

Looks like fun to me, thanks for the video.
Them round back tillers never worked very well any way and chain's and tiller dont mix well. .02

Jerome, What makes the newer style tillers work better? Do they spin ata higher rpm? I always used the round back tillers so I dont know much about the newer Models

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Looks to me like Dad is having fun. Thanks for sharing George...

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,212 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Jerome, What makes the newer style tillers work better? Do they spin ata higher rpm? I always used the round back tillers so I dont know much about the newer Models

First there not as well built and are know to break. The flat tillers are heavier and will sink in alot better, I believe there geared faster to but I am not 100% on it.

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,696 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:07 PM

Mabye I'll have to see about getting one to try out....

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:12 PM

We did turn the sod over in the fall. I just don't think we had the plows set up right to really get it turned over to bury the grass.

#12 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 12:30 AM

The old Bolens sure sounds sweet! Looks like some great fun with Dad. Any new garden takes a lot of work. I lucked out and have great neighbors with big tractors that really get the ground tilled nicely. Then I hit it with my Troy built Horse. Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of Picture 4-27-09 005.jpg
  • Copy of Picture 4-27-09 009.jpg
  • Copy of Picture 4-27-09 008.jpg
  • Copy of Picture 4-27-09 010.jpg
  • Copy of Picture 4-27-09 011.jpg
  • Copy of Picture 4-27-09 006.jpg

#13 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 12:32 AM

Make a few passes with a walk behind tiller in those conditions and you'll really appreciate the Bolens.

That's no joke. I dropped 40 trees last year to make way for a garden. Once the land was cleared and the stumps ground, I used the 800's tiller to break up the soil and chop up some of the smaller roots. I contemplated borrowing my dad's 8hp Troy-bilt walk behind because it spins faster, but once I got started I knew I made the right choice. I would have been chasing the walk behind all over the field.