• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:55 PM

I have been here since 1998. When I moved in, my whole house was nasty from knee level down with this nasty looking green moss growing on the brick. In the front (which faces south) when it really gets going you can see a silhouette of evergreen plants, like the PO had the whole front of the house lined with them and that part of the house itself was blocked from the sun. You can tell exactly how tall they were and how they were spaced.  I power wash this at least once a year, (when I have a power washer that is) I hit it 2-3 times  usually once in spring summer and sometimes fall. That keeps it to a minimum, but it still comes back.  and on the north side it seems to come back heavier and faster  than the previous time.

The north side and west side of the house is worse. It always comes back faster and heavier than the front,

I have power washed it, steam cleaned it, (seems to stay gone a little longer but still returns)

tried a bleach soak down after power washing, several times, once I tried vinegar instead as I was told that would kill it...

I know brick is porous, but I need something that will soak in and actually kill this crap.

Last year I didn't get to power wash as my machine had gotten stolen over the previous winter, It looks real bad this year. 

On the front, my gutters do leak between the gutters and the fascia, and I have a 6-8" tall raised flower bed, some of that could be dirt splashed up after a hard rain, but not all of it.  On the back though it is definitely all moss....  When I just use the garden hose on teh front and rinse that off then you see the moss behind that.   at the back of the house I have grass growing all the way up to the back wall of the house.  I want to get some lime and spread from the house out about 3' all the way around.

Any ideas on something I could apply to the brick to kill this?  Would I apply it before I power wash and let it soak a few days or like I usually don power wash and then apply?

• tinbender7 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,922 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Have you looked into a moss/algae herbicide? You can get those in those goofy spray bottles with the garden hose connection.

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 10:38 PM

no that is why i am asking

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Im thinking fire. Scorch it good with a weedburner, just enougb to boil the cells.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 11:14 PM

Don't do the fire! It will damage the bricks. I had a problem with moss growing on my northside roof shingles. My friend who knows more about practical living than anyone else had the solution. I go to my favorite hardware store and ask for the brass particles from the key cutting machine. They now laugh and save it for me. I then sprinkle the particles along the peak of the roof and it kills everything for months. The copper in it is a fungicide and is a trick that has been used for centuries. Home owners used to run bare copper wires along the top of their roofs. Enough of the copper came off to kill the moss that tried to grow. Try the particles on your bricks. Do not touch the particles with bare hands or you will regret it for a couple of weeks(the voice of experience). Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 22, 2015 - 07:14 AM.

• oldedeeres, dodge trucker and Jazz have said thanks

#6 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 05:55 AM

Look into a product called WET AND FORGET at ace hardware. Never used it but it,s recommended by Lou Manfredini.

#7 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,517 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 06:14 AM

Copper will work, pool fungicide is real good, used that at my old place, good for at least a year.

• boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 06:23 AM

There is a product available that is used on a roof to prevent moss growing on shingles. It's some kind of metallic strip that leaches metal into the water running down the roof. I thought it was zinc but can't remember for sure. I know you can also buy copper mesh for use in a garden for keeping slugs out. It comes in long rolls and may be something to consider. I also wonder if using a sealant on the brick after a thorough cleaning and disinfecting would help. It may prevent the spores or what ever from attaching to the porous brick and mortar. 

• boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Did you ever try any acids? There are a number out there designed to clean old masonry of anything that will collect on it. It is nasty stuff to work with though.

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 06:42 AM

Round-Up is a Herbicide that kills down to the roots and should work on the moss problem also.  It will kill all vegetation so be careful where and how you use it.   Never had that problem but it sure works good on mold on vinyl siding.

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 09:57 AM

copper, huh?     gonna have to see if I can find some liquid solution, this is a vertical surface, too bad brick nor copper aren't  magnetic LOL... I just got another diesel fired hot water/steam power washer yesterday, once I replace the hose and blast the brick again, that copper sounds like a good thing to try.  Only thing is, my brick is tan but red underneath with some kind of coating (NOT paint) Some red is already showing from previous bouts with power washers. hopefully this copper solution won't make more of the tan come off?

on the east end adjacent to the back bedroom I do need to get some tuck point work done as some of the mortar has cracked.

I do have (and use) Roundup around here regularly along fence lines and such, never thought of using that.

On the ground about 18"-2' out from the building esp on that north side I have a heavy moss buildup before my actual "lawn" starts... I was gonna get a bag of lime and spread there (I thought I mentioned that above, maybe not) to try and kill off that moss. 

I also have a spot in the middle of my front yard (south side of the house)  that I get mushrooms growing a couple times a year, was gonna put some lime there too. There used to be a tree a few feet away , the mushrooms grow around where the trunk (which was ground out w/a stump grinder) used to be.  I didn't grind that stump, neighbors did while I was in the hospital with an ankle injury (long story, I told here more than once in the past,)  so IDK how deep they ground it for me.  Is lime the wrong idea for this? .

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 09:59 AM

Look into a product called WET AND FORGET at ace hardware. Never used it but it,s recommended by Lou Manfredini.

Yeah I saw someone on CL had a bottle of that for sale. I guess the seller got it online and ordered 2 bottles but only used 1, too bad they are like 60 miles away. Is this stuff in stores or do you have to order it online?

#13 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 10:52 AM

Just read your profile and your job. Been there many times making delivery and to Shapiro MHC. I drove semi for correctional industries. This guy Lou is on WGN on Sat mornings and often advises callers to use this product. Is there an Ace across from Shapiro? Might also consider if you have too many trees blocking out sunlight. Good luck.

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,922 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 05:05 PM

Copper? Crud, I was cutting up 900 pair telephone cable with a chop saw today! I could of boxed up the copper clad slime remnants and mailed them out! Moss-killing brick face copper paste! Gold star for recycling.

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Just read your profile and your job. Been there many times making delivery and to Shapiro MHC. I drove semi for correctional industries. This guy Lou is on WGN on Sat mornings and often advises callers to use this product. Is there an Ace across from Shapiro? Might also consider if you have too many trees blocking out sunlight. Good luck.

no, no trees.  

I actually work at Stateville Correctional Ctr, 43 miles away. Shapiro is 5 or 6 miles away from home. You know a driver name Brian McCarthy? He's the semi driver for Correctional Industries out of Stateville. 

I work "at" the prison, but not "for" Corrections. I actually work for a department of IL govt called CMS.

Yeah there's an Ace right across from Shapiro.  I didnt think about going there because of the CL ad I mentioned above, it seemed like the seller of the gallon of that stuff  in that ad must have ordered it mail order-style somewhere....

I'm off til Tues, I'll look around these next few days.