• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 560Dennis OFFLINE  

560Dennis
  • Member No: 70672
  • 10 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:06 PM

I don't have much butt anymore and to drive this thing to cultivate gets tiresome to say so. Any suggestion what to do ? I can'tt find this part, 1712935 cushion ?

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:13 PM

I have 3 tractors that have just the bare pan. I took an old burlap sack and folded about 4 or 5 heavy T shirts up and laid them in the sack. Folded the top over and use that for a cushion. If you don' have a sack, us a piece of old carpeting folded about 4 times works good too. Not real pretty but better than sitting on hard pan.
  • tinbender7 and Paulgo have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 11:20 PM

Use a stadium cushion. I find them for cheap at tag sales and use them for all kinds of things. Most frequently on top of a milk crate when sitting and working on something. I am actually considering learning to use a heavy duty sewing machine to do upholstery work(for trucks and tractors). Good Luck, Rick

#4 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 400 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 07:44 AM

I just put on of these on a 900 that I am restoring.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3aaa6b0614

#5 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 08:52 AM

I just put on of these on a 900 that I am restoring.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3aaa6b0614

Do you have a thread on that?

#6 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 400 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 12:11 PM

don't know what you mean by a thread, That is a link to an item on ebay. The restoring of the 900 in under "A few months ago.

#7 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 12:33 PM

I meant the 900

#8 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 400 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 02:03 PM

http://gardentractor...1-a-few-months/

Try here

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 06:00 PM

I don't have much butt anymore and to drive this thing to cultivate gets tiresome to say so. Any suggestion what to do ? I can'tt find this part, 1712935 cushion ?

Check out sailrite.com as they have a lot of good "how to" videos - here is a link to making a cushion for a regular chair that could probably be adapted to a tractor seat - get some Velcro strips and sew then to the cushion and the glue them to the seat - that way you can remove the cushion so it does not get wet. http://www.sailrite....-Cushions-Video

Do you have a picture of the seat you have on your 600 now?
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#10 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Use a stadium cushion. I find them for cheap at tag sales and use them for all kinds of things. Most frequently on top of a milk crate when sitting and working on something. I am actually considering learning to use a heavy duty sewing machine to do upholstery work(for trucks and tractors). Good Luck, Rick

An industrial sewing machine is nice to have and use but you can also sew vinyl and upholstery by hand with a product called the Speedy Stitcher which can be bought for about $30.00 - just takes longer. Sewing seems complicated but it is not that hard to do - think of the needle as a drill and the thread as a bolt and the stitch as a nut that tightens the thread and locks it in place - as you sew you are putting in multiple bolts and tightening them - only on a miniature scale. One of the biggest secrets in sewing vinyl or other upholstery materials is to space the stitches wide enough apart so they do not act like perforations and allow the material to tear. Here is a link to a seat recover I did on a Simplicity lawn tractor a couple of years ago if you are interested - http://www.mytractor...city-101-a.html. I have also recovered both seats on my 1050's - made the covers for them using a picture of an original seat and some marine vinyl called Winterfun ( had the original foam for the one and just used 1-1/2" foam cut to size for the other - here is a link to a post on one of them - http://www.mytractor...at-recover.html . Both these seats turned out not to bad looking in my opinion and definitely are more comfortable than sitting on a steel pan. Good luck and I hope this encourages you and others to learn sewing.
  • boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 06:56 PM

29 Chev you did a nice job on the cushions and the explanations. How long did it take to do the Simplicity? I've got a bunch to do but that looks like winter work. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 22, 2015 - 06:56 PM.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#12 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 07:24 PM

29 Chev you did a nice job on the cushions and the explanations. How long did it take to do the Simplicity? I've got a bunch to do but that looks like winter work. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks for the kind words. The Simplicity seat cover took about twelve hours to make - worked on it one week for a few hours each night after work - it was my first sewing since I redid a pair of bucket seats back in the late 70's - took them to an upholstery shop to get a quote and the guy gave me a few pointers and sold me the material and suggested I could probably do a decent job on them and save myself some dollars. Back them I was young and broke (now I am just broke) so I gave it a shot and after a day of trying to run my mothers Singer with her guidance I was thinking about giving up and I think my mother was close to disowning me. That was on a Friday and after I got done with a few chores around the farm on Saturday afternoon my mom and dad took off and about an hour later came back home with the Raymond treadle machine that I used for the Simplicity cover and suggested I put it out in the shop and finish my sewing there. It finished the bucket seats and was much easier to control for a beginner like me (also kept me away from the Singer in the house which kept me from being an orphan). If you would like any pointers let me know and I will try and help.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#13 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 07:52 PM

Thanks!

#14 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 08:08 PM

29Chev:

That is a FANTASTIC job that you did on the 1050 seat !!!!  :thumbs:   :worshippy1:

• 29 Chev said thank you

#15 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 09:11 AM

Nice job  Chev...   Your'e mamma would be proud.......

Edited by sodisr, May 23, 2015 - 09:12 AM.

• 29 Chev said thank you