briggs & srtatton

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69513
  • 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 10:09 AM

Dodge Trucker thanks for clearing this up as to how to jump the starter. Personally I think it is a connection issue and will consider the starter as the issue maybe later on today. I am sure if any of you folks "were here" you could figure it out rather quickly.

But here is a list for today:

1. Fully charge battery with Husky battery charger

2. Lock down all bolts ( noticed 2 engine bolts are missing again I replace these every 2 cuts somehow they back themselves out )

3. Maybe try to jump across solenoid and if that does not work go directly to battery with the jump

4. Follow up on spark plug removal issue to look for fuel as was suggested above.

As a side note I noticed prices vary widely for starters for this engine ( B&S 14.5 HP I/C OHV ). From about 37$ to over 100$

Thanks to yourself and all for the insight into this problem, will be back later.

#17 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

• 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 11:16 PM

Thanks to all who have helped and given me insight as to why or how certain things are regarding small engine mechanics and wiring.

Got it running and here is what I did. Also the flywheel did spin the proper speed for starting.

1. Manually rotated flywheel until piston was traveling away from cylinder head ( not sure what you call this ). But the bottom line is until the flywheel

was in a position where turning it was easy.

2. Locked down all bolts including the ones that back out from the engine mounts almost every time I cut the lawn.

3. Decided to do a bridge across solenoid to create the spark. ( Battery is brand new and fully charged )

4. Used some starting fluid inside carb to make sure no fuel shortage issue.

The only weird thing is the mower blades are always in an ON mode since the idiots at MTD who built this thing decided to merge the PTO clutch and

deck height adjustment into one lever. ( Yes in an ideal setup I am sure this worked correctly maybe one or two times but MTD should refund everyone their money that owns this junk ).

So next steps are to figure out how to stop the blades from spinning when they are NOT supposed to be spinning!

Also I am hoping to upload a video I made of the thing running.

Thanks again,

Tractor running on May 22, 2015

• KennyP said thank you

#18 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

• 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 12:42 AM

As a final note my video above does not play in FF and here is why:

The web page tries to embed an HTML document via the EMBED tag.
Unfortunately this doesn't work in Firefox.
In Firefox only the OBJECT tag and an IFRAME can be used to embed an HTML document.
See these threads for a possible bookmarklet that you can try:
Specifically the HTML code this site uses is:
<embed class="mp4downloader_tagChecked " wmode="opaque" autoplay="true" showcontrols="true" showstatusbar="true" showtracker="true" src="http://gardentractor...775_1163952.mp4" type="video/mp4" height="480" width="640">
Embed does not work in Firefox. 

#19 VTXrider OFFLINE  

• Member No: 16031
  • 459 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 06:16 PM

Glad you got it running BT.  :beer: