• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 faucet OFFLINE  

faucet
  • Member No: 70529
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 04:19 AM

I am new to this forum having just aquired a Ford LTG 14D in good condition for it's age. It starts easily and runs very well and is going to be used primarily to rake the surface of the riding practice area.
It does have a slight weep on the radiator which will need removing sometime soon for replacement or re-coring.

Looking at the parts diagram and a visual inspection the top fixings and such are accessable but there are two bolts underneath the radiator that appear impossible to get a spanner onto and at the moment I can't see a way forward to getting them out.

I need guidance, it must be possible, I just don't see how to get a hand in there with a spanner.
  • StevenPa said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 04:55 AM

Hopefully one of the other folks with one of these can offer some assistance on this. From what I see in the parts diagram, it could be a chore. Does the radiator support bolt to the frame? That may all have to come out to access those bolts.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 06:31 AM

What you really need is a service manual. Anyone out there have one or have access to one?

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 07:14 AM

I haven't seen one so far.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 07:24 AM

All I see are for sale. Here's the cheapest I found.

• faucet said thank you

#6 faucet OFFLINE  

faucet
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the help the manual would be really useful to have anyway. I have a copy of the owner's manual and access to the New Holland part diagrams. There has got to be a way of getting to those bolts................. someone must have had to remove one before now.l

#7 faucet OFFLINE  

faucet
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 04:26 AM

All I see are for sale. Here's the cheapest I found.

Great looks just what I want - however the company does not ship outside the USA. Found another on Amazon - cost a bit more - same result. Going to have another really close look today to see what else can be unbolted to gain access.

#8 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 06:58 AM

watching this topic....may need to remove mine....Might not help but I had to remove mine in my 1500 Ford . Had same dilemma with not being able to loosen the bottom mount..finally got it out after figuring it had a slot for the bolt to slide in and out of the bracket. Top nut was actually welded to stay with the radiator bracket.

#9 faucet OFFLINE  

faucet
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Many thanks to those who encouraged me to seek out the manuals. I have been able to obtain the Ford Repair Manual on Ebay - £31.00 - for the LGT 14D which includes the detailed schedule for the servicing and removal of all assemblies including the radiator. The manual acknowledges that the two bottom bolts are difficult to access and I quote from the manual: " Loosen the bolts by working from beneath the tractor. After loosening, the bolts may be removed by working from above by tilting the radiator rearward for clearance". Apart from those bottom bolts it seems just a case of removing the side panels and brackets etc around the radiator to allow it to come out.

We have only been doing light work so I have put up with, but closely monitored, the slight weep from the top of the radiator up till now but it's got to be fixed before winter. I'll let you know how it goes.

#10 faucet OFFLINE  

faucet
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 02:13 AM

Just an update on progress so far. A near disaster after finishing work one afternoon resulted in a small fire caused by a short circuit of the positive battery lead where it passed through the side of the battery compartment. Fortunately the tractor was outside, two minutes later and it would have been in the shed....! Inspection showed that the rubber grommet and battery lead had chaffed through and contacted the metal battery case. A sharp spur needed to be dressed out of the hole in the battery casing before a new grommet and battery lead fitted. I'm not sure if the spur had been caused by a previous fault or this one.

It has proven to be very good on fuel and has saved pounds over the Toro and continues to run as sweet as a nut. Have not changed the radiator yet, everything else seems to get priority, but I have managed to get a used one which is watertight and is scheduled to be fitted after the holiday.

Photos attached.IMG_20160714_134312.jpg IMG_20160714_125911.jpg
  • gksyn said thank you

#11 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 07:15 AM

Just an update on progress so far. A near disaster after finishing work one afternoon resulted in a small fire caused by a short circuit of the positive battery lead where it passed through the side of the battery compartment. Fortunately the tractor was outside, two minutes later and it would have been in the shed....! Inspection showed that the rubber grommet and battery lead had chaffed through and contacted the metal battery case. A sharp spur needed to be dressed out of the hole in the battery casing before a new grommet and battery lead fitted. I'm not sure if the spur had been caused by a previous fault or this one.
It has proven to be very good on fuel and has saved pounds over the Toro and continues to run as sweet as a nut. Have not changed the radiator yet, everything else seems to get priority, but I have managed to get a used one which is watertight and is scheduled to be fitted after the holiday.
Photos attached.attachicon.gifIMG_20160714_134312.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160714_125911.jpg

Looking great!
Real quick, do you have the rubber pad on the brake lever? Seems all of them I've seen don't have it.

And I've uploaded (well KennyP did it for me :) the repair manual and a bunch of other literature/Manual's to this forum. Go grab a copy and hopefully you can tackle the radiator swap with less hassle.

#12 faucet OFFLINE  

faucet
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 03:10 PM

Yes the brake pedal has a rubber pad as per the atttached photo.IMG_20160811_125314.jpg
  • gksyn said thank you

#13 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 07:59 AM

Yes the brake pedal has a rubber pad as per the atttached photo.attachicon.gifIMG_20160811_125314.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Something so little, but I have to watch when breaking that I don't slip. It started raining and I quickly I brought the tractor in the garage and slipped when I went to brake.