33 replies to this topic

#16 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 09:12 PM

The easiest grass I ever planted was when they dug the lagoon for the septic system. The soil was dry and cracked on top. I threw the seeds out a day before it rained. The seeds washed down in the cracks. I never has to water it and it was up and going within a week.
I plant some a month ago. I went over it good with a harrow before and after. I have not been home for a week, so I am not sure how its going. Most looked like it washed out before I left. It has rained almost every day since I left and the yard is a foot tall. More rain all next week.

#17 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 08:59 AM

Dodge,,,, The temps around here are not up to the good germination temps...  I'm in south east wis.   maybe 75 mile north of you..  Be patient and don't try to over think it..   Some seed can take up to 2 weeks to germinate and not all at once either.. Keep it moist ,, this Memorial day is supposed to warm up...   Keep at it...

• dodge trucker said thank you

#18 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 10:29 PM

And I wouldn't wait on lime. It takes several months for it to have an effect on things.
  • Alc said thank you

#19 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 07:22 PM

well the helicopters (maple tree seeds) sprouting seems to be outnumbering grass sprouts... in a couple other areas the grass I planted seems to finally be coming in good though.  The 2nd bag I used claimed 8000 sq ft coverage, I have been throwing it down about every other day, probably have a supposed 8000 sq ft bag of grass seed in maybe 1000 sq ft over a time period of about a week.

I put the lime down 2 days ago, yeah I know that's a slow process, I set my spreader as the bag said to and it sure did not go anywhere near as far as the bag claimed for square foot coverage. I probably wound up with 25% of the ground covered with the amount I put down vs what the bag claimed I would. It rained like here yesterday. just in time to water that in. 2, 40# bags barely got me an area about 30'X160 plus a strip 10X24 and a strip 15X36.... each bag claimed to be good for much more area than that... but I did follow the directions on the lime bags.... I used the "pelletized" variety.

The area between the garage and house (10' wideX24" or so) I had an issue of too much foot traffic too soon for grass to be able to come up, that's the only way I could get to the man door so I could get inside, undo the welding clamps I used for "locks" and throw open the overhead doors. About 3 weeks-a month ago I finally got my electric garage door openers hung so I can hit the button and enter the garage via the driveway, that has helped  alleviate that issue so the grass (there, anyway) could have a chance. 

Around the edges of the back concrete pad where the dogs did their thing continues to give me fits. I have been letting them out the front to keep them out of that area so I don't have a million paw prints in the dirt til the seed "takes" This concrete pad is about 12X12, I tilled 3 tiller widths around the 3 sides that don't abut the sliding door into the house, this is where I am having the most problem getting it to grow.  this being on the north side of the house and the majority of the day it gets dang near full sun.

The part of the yard (also on the north side) where I dug up the septic back in Dec., probably 30' away to the east, from the concrete pad, seems to be finally "taking".

IDK if my thread is still in the CL/Ebay "for sale" section (about the Milwaukee Tiller for sale) but I thought I put a pic up there of the tiller, also shows the area that I am having trouble getting the grass to come in.

#20 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 05:55 AM

We asked for "boulevard mixture..no clover" at the feed store. The green would grow anywhere and was very durable which was what we were after as we had two sighthounds tearing around the yard at warp speed.

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 11:02 PM

Well from my experience the best way to get grass to grow is to start a garden.
Last fall I planted the whole garden, about 7,000 sq ft with waterway blend,(mostly tall fescue) with the intention of only tilling the areas I was planting vegetables in and leaving grass walkways between the rows.
It was suppose to be cover crop over the winter
None of it came up last fall,none had come up when I planted the garden. Now the grass is taking over the whole garden.
My question is how do you stop grass from growing?

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 28, 2015 - 11:03 PM.

• Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 11:18 PM

For whoever asked, Kankakee is in IL, about an hour SW of Chicago. If you know where Champaign is I'm 70-ish miles north from there.

I know where Kankakee is. Over half of the kids in our church youth group older than me, went to Olivet Nazerene College in Kankakee.

The Church opened a new College in Olathe, Kansas my junior year in High School , and that is where I went.

#23 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:43 PM

yup the Chicago Bears use Olivet as their summer pre season training camp, that's about 7 miles from me.

#24 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Best time to get grass to grow is after you did a soil test and limed and did the other stuff the test said to do and in the fall about the end of Sept sow the seed in soft worked up soil. Once the seed is down at a good rate roll the soil and then water. should have a good take by spring. Don't mow till it goes to seed and then only a inch or so at a time. Keep it watered the first year.

:D   Al

#25 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:42 AM

never actually had the soil tested, went with the lime treatment on advice and past experiences as a dog owner....but even though I applied it as the bag said, and set the spreader as instructed,  as compared to how much the bag said it would cover, it did not go anywhere close to that many sq ft.  I way, way, "over limed" but I also know that lime is a very slow process, takes a long time for its effects to take hold.

if the grass don't take ( so far it has done so in all but 1 spot, that being around the concrete pad where the dog tie-out was)  I'll have to wait a bit for the ground to stabilize as I tilled that ground a month-month and a half ago and then brought in a pickup load of fresh pulverized dirt and threw on top of that area. I did not re-till to mix the old and new dirt, latest grass seed was raked into the new dirt, and not that deep.

All this rain in just the last couple days (close to 2") will help to stabilize things and mix in that lime and starter fertilizer. 

I should have done the test before anything else (besides maybe the tilling) but since I did all this other stuff, I gotta wait to see what it does to the soil, to establish a new "baseline"

The helicopter seeds that we got flooded with a few weeks ago, yeah they are growing in this area like gangbusters.... I cant wait for that fresh soil to firm up enough to  support the weight of my push mower and me without making tracks and footprints so I can mow them down...  I never did anything to help them, they just fell and laid on top of the dirt and now they are growing.

But being that those are growing so well, that tells me that grass in that same area, should not be that far behind. Right??? I do notice what looks like a little bit  of "stubble" starting to poke thru the ground (think "5:00 shadow") today that wasnt there yesterday.

I do plan to go get another bag of seed in a little while when I make my run to town. though IDK  if what is on the shelves is "this year's" or not..what I put down so far, one bag was bought last year the other was bought the previous to that but was stored dry, in the garage between buying it and laying it down.  but what I put down out of those same 2 bags everywhere else did grow so I don't think that is/was the problem..... at this point in the season I doubt that what is on the shelf right now is this year's seed crop anyway.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#26 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53929
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:46 AM

To one of the Dodge boys.  This is one HOT topic.  What i used up here in the North East (MA), for what it is worth, is Tall Fesque.  And only tall fesque, no mixture of any kind.  It is drought resistant and takes about 14 days to come up.  If you have a shaded area it works very well.  (See pic)  Good Luck.

IMG_0628.JPG

Edited by Savageman, May 31, 2015 - 09:48 AM.

• Alc, oldedeeres and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#27 Dgrader OFFLINE  

Dgrader
  • Member No: 68240
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:39 PM

Turf type fescue is all I overseed my yard with. It handles drought and will grow any where. Best time to sow grass is in the fall. I mow the yard short and go rent a slit seeder and run across yard in 2 different directions. Always get grass to grow. It would work on new seeding just don't till it first.

#28 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:26 PM

I should have looked at the bag for the mix but I bought a 3# bag of Farm and Fleet's "house brand" "Fast grow" and tossed out there this afternoon, we had 2" of rain between Fri afternoon and yesterday ground is still muddy.  See what that does,  may have to go back to that "pasture mix" but that is a lot of weeds which I really don't want.  
Some of what I had previously put out, I noticed was starting to come up thru the surface today in blotches.

I am tired of tossing seed out there though....  I got 2 more 10# bags of seed  some "sun and shade" and some "shade mix" for the far side of the detached garage where I have yet to throw down any seed in about 6 years. I'll put that shade mix down over there (not the area that is giving me fits) tomorrow after work, got wet enough for the ground to get downright soggy

#29 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 07:38 AM

what i do is throw the seed and water it with miracle gro and have grass in a week 

#30 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 10:40 PM

well it's up for the most part between the garage and house (10' wide X 30' long strip, gets part sun most of day, full sun for the rest) 

middle of back yard where I dug up the septic to have it pumped last fall (full sun all day) Here I dug up alot more than I needed because I could not exactly remember where the lid to the tank was at. 
But I have a strip about 18"X about 8' along a RR tie bordering my AC unit  that has yet to come in, directly adjacent to that area dug up for the septic (must have had some seed drift inside the RR tie as grass is growing crazy inside that RR tie border where I keep sprayed w/ Roundup at least 2x a season but not outside the RR tie where I want it)  

and a 3' wide strip bordering a ~12'X12'ish concrete pad where I have aLOT more maple trees coming up than grass,  grass seed coming up in about 50% of that area that it has been planted and replanted, that is the area the dogs concentrated on but having brought in 2 yards of fresh dirt, most of which was spread there atop the area that I tilled and seeded originally.  I may spray that area w/ Roundup to kill off the trees and then replant (again) like a week later.  

Mow at 5" Yikes!  I can't remember ever letting my grass get that tall to begin with. though I have been mowing around the area I am trying to get to grow. (not that it has needed mowed anyway, hence this thread)

I do not have a machine that I can bag clippings with, I do not generally believe in it, around here it's mow and blow. but I can honestly say that while I have never actually put a ruler down to measure, I doubt my grass has ever been over about 3-1/4" max, I have my mowers set at 2-1/2",  this time of year I mow every 4-5 days or so, while I mow and blow there is rarely any "hayfield effect"  It is rare to see clippings sitting on top of my yard after I mow.

• Alc said thank you