• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:13 PM

I do not have any luck.  It dont matter what I do it takes longer than other people take, and comes in hit n miss at best.  Fresh pulverized dirt or freshly tilled, rake it in, water it, starter fertilizer, you name it.  "this years" seed or seed that has been sitting a few years, don't mater same result.

• hamman, propane1, laurarg3 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:18 PM

Oats as cover crop to control weeds in cold weather poorer soils . The grass will have lots of time to get going . Let oats get developed as tall as you can tolerate .

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:25 PM

Dodgetrucker I have the same luck----I gave up and planted clover,It's green and I don't have to mow it much.
  • Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#4 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:36 PM

Get a soil test from you local university extension service. They are free around here. Lime and fertilize like they recommend. Spring planting is hit or miss. Till, rake and seed heavily in the fall. I like to mix in a little annual rye to keep things green through the winter. I tried oats one time and they choked out my fescue. Don't do like my neighbor and plant then follow with a weed and feed. Trust me. This happens. I know several that have done it. Water. Water. Water. Mow when it matures with a sharp blade, bag the clippings and keep fescue tall--5 inches-- and mow as often as necessary to only take and inch or so off at a time. After it is well established you can stop catching the clippings.

Make sure you have enough organic matter in your soil. If you have dirt and not soil, you are throwing away time and money. Add compost, peat moss or something. Your soil test should tell you what you need.

Around here you have to plug, fertilze, lime and overseed every fall.

If you have three sons and a 135 pound husky playing baseball and football in the yard, buy lots of door mats and give up until they move out.

Good luck.
  • Alc, dodge trucker, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#5 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 05:14 AM

What worked for me was to till the dirt to a shallow depth, not deep, seed, lightly fertalize and rake it in, use a roller and roll it flat, then cover with straw or grass clippings then water. Grass clippings worked best for me because straw usually has weed seed in it. Keep it watered and stay off of it as much as possible. I usually have sprouts showing within a week. Don't mow it for several weeks, let it grow and it may even re-seed itself. Stay off of it as much as possible due to the top soil being loose. With this method you still won't usually have a beautiful yard for a year or two. 

Another alternative is to lay seeded roll mats down like is used on landscaping and waterways. They are usually spiked or nailed down to the ground to hold them in place. Water after installing and let it grow.     

• Alc said thank you

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 632 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 05:57 AM

Not sure where Kankakee is, but maybe you are seeding too early.......The ground needs to be warmed up before things will start growing......

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 06:17 AM

I had better luck when I over seeded the better pernnial seed with cheaper annual rye which comes up quicker at the same planting .

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 07:47 AM

Poor soil,, as in (  oil soaked in the past,,,  pet urine,,  other chemical spills,, in the past ) can lead to no grass.   seed, no matter what it is, needs to be warm and wet to germinate. It is a little early for seed to germinate now..  It needs to be in the upper 60's   Not just the air,, but the soil as well..  It needs to stay moist,, not under water wet, just moist.  If you think,, to water and walk away and hope for the best,, will  almost never be a good result..  Grass seed must first sprout,, then roots must find their way into the soil.. and shoots come up from the ground...   Sounds simple RIGHT.??   Now let it dry out just one sunny, windy afternoon.......  It die's... It's only about as thick as a couple of hairs...  The straw is the moisture barrier... Grass clippings work if not to heavy laid down so it cannot  get air and light..  

I too nave had my share of bad luck with seed... Just get to the ROOT ( PUN ) of what the seed is not getting,,and keep at it...

Good luck and keep trying                                        sodi 

• Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Make sure your putting down enough seed, usually twice to three times what is recommended as they are talking ideal conditions.  We don't have ideal conditions out here.  Don't rake it in to deep.  Grass seed will grow laying on top of the ground if mulched.  Grass clipping is best for mulch and don't get it to thick.  Every place is different so it is kind of seat of the pants type operation.  Water and sunshine are two key ingredients.  Good luck.

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:07 PM

When the town dug up our ditches to put the water lines in (I used to be on well water)  they put that straw cloth down, the grass grew thru that and was a knotted mess, try to pull it up and yank the new grass with it. Mow over it and it wrapped around the mower crank/ couldnt win.

For whoever asked, Kankakee is in IL, about an hour SW of Chicago. If you know where Champaign is I'm 70-ish miles north from there.

I tilled it a few inches deep, raked the seed in, (way more than the bag said) and plenty of starter fertilizer. This area had been saturated with dog piss over the last 10+ years, now that I (WAS) down to 1 dog, rather than the 2 I have had "forever", we had to put the 13 yo Black Lab down last year he was my "roamer", I had to chain him or be chasing him. My 11 yo chocolate lab mix, knows his yard and I can let him roam, so he doesn't have to constantly soak and re soak the same ground since he doesnt have to be chained.  but now that my son brought home a now-9 week old pup, (got him at 6 weeks) once we get him potty trained I may be back to square one. 

About 1/2 of the seed grew and then  done.  so we brought in fresh pulverized dirt a couple nites ago and shovelled it over the tilled area (it had sunk below its original level it had been at before tilling and raking)  and I coated that almost purely solid with seed and raked it in a couple days ago, more starter fertilizer, so we will see what happens.  But even where the dogs weren't, over my septic that I dug up to be pumped back in December, I got the same results with my 1st planting 3-4 weeks ago, also added more fresh dirt there a few days ago.  This was just Monday, the added dirt and 2nd planting, Tues and yesterday were cool (20* below what it should be this time of year 50* for a "high" and wet.  Today is 68* just a couple deg below "average" and cloudy this morning, sunny since lunch time. off n on "chance" of rain and low mid 70s the next 4 days. The 2nd time I got that so called Scotts "Smart seed" It's a white color instead of tan.  What I put out a month ago was a sun and shade mix from a semi local nursery (~30 miles away) but it was a year old, bag was still sealed when I opened it 3-4 weeks ago.  The Scotts was also a sealed bag but bought a year ago.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Last year I threw out a few handfulls of "pasture mix" and it seemed to do better than normal "lawn" seed....

#12 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Talk to your neighbors and see what fhey do. And as much as I don't care for the mass marketing, spend the money for Scott's products and follow their recommendations. Go to their website and signup. You will get emails based on your area for products to apply and when. I tried other brands with less success.

For seed, I've had better luck at my local feed and seed for their recommendations. And in the fall,throw in a little rye. Try a contractors blend. It's a mix set up to cover fast. But plan on over seeding in the fall.

The guys are right--keep the seed moist--water it in the morning and again in the evening. Don't let it dry out. I wouldn't let it get so tall as to go to seed.

If your seed sprouts and the dies, you something in your soil killing the seedlings. Stay away. From weed and feed at least through this season. If it's been treated heavily in the past it will take a while for the residuals to dissipate.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 10:15 AM

If your seed sprouts and the dies, you something in your soil killing the seedlings. Stay away. From weed and feed at least through this season. If it's been treated heavily in the past it will take a while for the residuals to dissipate. 

Does that include "starer fertilizer"?  I have loaded the area with that both times I have seeded it so far this season.  I think the years of dog piss over and over this area isn't helping,  me + growing grass "anywhere" usually is a struggle.   I Tilled and levelled the whole back yard (of which this is a part of) and brought in a bunch of fresh pulverized top soil back in spring of 08  and I remember having trouble getting grass to take hold then too, but not as much as I am having with it now. Along the state highway that runs in front of my subd., they just did alot of dirt work, moving the ditches back and replacing culverts getting ready to widen the road, and they planted about the same time I did the 1st time and they have 4" grass already in all the ditches along the road. IDK what seed mix they used, being this is more of a commercial application and  roadside ditches in the country don't exactly have the same expectations of "how it loooks"  compared to someone's lawn.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 22, 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#14 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 11:32 AM

I've never used starter fertilizer but I wouldn't expect it to have an herbicide in it. Is it high nitrogen content? Too much nitrogen can burn up young plants.

It's my understanding that you need lots of lime to counteract pet urine. Around here the soil is so acidic that it's almost impossible to over lime. I would lay the powdered lime to it heavy, reseed, take it on and keep the water to it. But if you get s hot dry summer you're kind of screwed.

Good luck.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 08:58 PM

I reseeded the other day, just got 2 40# bags of lime today, think I have to wait to put the lime down now til (hopefully) this crop of grass seed either comes in or becomes obvious that it isn't going to.  I'll have to look at the bag of starter fertilizer to see the N-P-K content (Nitrogen-phosphorus-potassum) but the starter fertilizer I have been using is the Scotts branded stuff.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 22, 2015 - 08:58 PM.