• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:08 PM

I have had a few different ones over the years myself, have used others besides the ones that I have actually owned. 
I want to know which you guys prefer. I am again in the market.

Electric? Gas? vertical engine? Horizontal? Diesel fired? 

I prefer a gas engine driven one to electric partly because of the portability and partly because of the hole water near electricity thing. One chafed winding and the unit gets wet and you'll be blowing breakers at least.... maybe get zapped. 

the best one I had was the one that was stolen last year along with my Troy Bilt Horse, 5 Sears Suburban decks and so much more that was in my parents' fishing cottage shed. That power washer was a Landa diesel fired steam cleaner. Relatively low pressure but the hot water/steam made up for that and I rarely needed any degreaser besides the hot water. 

I am in the market again, I would like another steamer but not sure I want to lay down that much money.

The vertical shaft gas powered box store ones are garbage, they do not last.

• laurarg3 and WilfredCot have said thanks

#2 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:39 PM

What kills power washers is the starting and stopping of the water flow. The flow keeps the pumps cool. When you let off the trigger, the flow and the cooling stops. That's why the more expensive washers last longer. They are designed to handle it. In our throwaway society, people don't think twice about dropping three hundred dollars every few years on a new one.
  • Alc, Cvans and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,537 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 04:28 AM

The horizontal gas engine setup seems to have the better pumps. But you pay for it too.

• Alc, Cvans and dodge trucker have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 06:44 AM

My experience with the electric ones is that they are a lot slower and not as good at dong the tough jobs that are easy work with a gas powered unit. I have an electric one and it works OK for getting the gunk off of tractors but it's slow work and requires a good de greaser to be used first. It's one of those things where you get what you pay for. If I were using one for commercial purposes I'd make sure the pump was one that is serviceable, with parts readily available and a local dealer to provide service.

• Alc, Cvans and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 09:51 AM

I have a 7 hp. electric and it does a wonderful job. The down side is it's 220v which is not available everywhere. Just what we have saved on car washes has gone a long way toward paying for it. Put in an outlet on the back of the house so it's always ready to use. Even the wife uses it to wash the cars. 

Gallons per minute is just as important as pressure. A lot of pumps can put out adequate pressure but don't flow enough water to get the job done.

Good luck with your search.  

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 02:47 PM

My preference is for a pressure washer with a Honda gas engine and a Cat pump.

Some people get carried away when comparing specs.  .....3 to 4 gpm at 3000-3500 psi is more than adequate.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:17 PM

I have heard of Cat pumps, but the honda? I have not had the luck with those in other applications as "everybody else" seems to. 

I picked one up off of CL today, got another electric diesel fired hot water unit. We have one rental yard in the county and they price their rentals knowing it's some miles away to the next one.  I go 30 miles away to the town I grew up in and get a better price but it's more inconvenient and more "in the bed of teh truck" time vs time actually used  but they charge from the minute you leave whether you are actually "using" it or not...  What these guys in the paper that advertise power washing in the classifieds want, between them, or renting a machine for justa  couple of times, having my own is cheaper.

With the hot water you don't need near as much pressure and also much less degreaser chemicals....

it just pisses me off that I spent $500 on the one that got stolen (it was an awesome unit, worked great,and is in a scrap heap now)  and now $400 for machine #2 today..... granted, if bought new they are $4k easy each,  I hate the need to buy 2 of something to have 1.

#8 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 09:16 PM

My hot water tank is in the garage. If I feel the need for hot water, I turn it up and tap into the drain port at the bottom. It does ok, but I don't really do it that often.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 09:50 PM

I have a Karcher 3000 with a Honda 190...very happy. I think I paid about $450. for it maybe seven years ago.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 09:54 PM

it just pisses me off that I spent $500 on the one that got stolen

I think it would be a long time before I got over it also.  :mad2:

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 10:20 AM

My hot water tank is in the garage. If I feel the need for hot water, I turn it up and tap into the drain port at the bottom. It does ok, but I don't really do it that often.

I have done that before but can't run hot water thru a cold water power washer.  I have hooked the hose to my hot water tank in the winter before when I have found myself with a heater core that needs a flush and not wanting to do it with cold water during freezing temps. 

I basically went with "bang for the buck" with the steam cleaner, so many people with box store vertical engined power washers that still want "new" price for them. (that ain't happenin at least they ain't gettin it from me)  and having had one before, sure helps.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 22, 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#12 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 10:42 AM

We have a steam Jenny at work. I love it and would like to have one at home but, like all of us, I make do with what I have.

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 10:22 PM

We have a steam Jenny at work. I love it and would like to have one at home but, like all of us, I make do with what I have.

yeah me too, sold a few extras I had hanging around to fund my "new" machine w/o going into the check book.   as far as "making do"  is concerned; after my Landa power washer  was stolen I had nothing but a garden hose  or taking items that would fit on my trailer to the car wash with a stack of quarters...

my house won't fit on my trailer and I gotta get that moss off the brick (for starters)  so I had to get "something"    By the time I pay to rent something or pay some one to come out and do what I need done "this" time" I wasn't far from what this machine cost me, and I'll still have the machine for next time and the time after that....

#14 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 10:31 PM

I'm like you. I'll typically buy a tool before I rent. Unless it's so specialized that I would only use it once or twice. I have a vinyl sided house and I stopped pressure washing it several years ago. Now I fill a pump,sprayer with 1 part Clorox and 2 parts water. Spray it on and rinse it off. It works on everything but the black streaks on my gutters. And it's a lot easier on my shoulders. Good luck on the moss. I presume that's a never ending battle.

The north side of my house turns green if I let it get away from me.
  • Alc, KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 05:36 AM

I'm like you. I'll typically buy a tool before I rent. Unless it's so specialized that I would only use it once or twice. I have a vinyl sided house and I stopped pressure washing it several years ago. Now I fill a pump,sprayer with 1 part Clorox and 2 parts water. Spray it on and rinse it off. It works on everything but the black streaks on my gutters. And it's a lot easier on my shoulders. Good luck on the moss. I presume that's a never ending battle.

The north side of my house turns green if I let it get away from me.

I'm going to have to do the North side here also. I had already thought about the clorox mix, so that's what I will do. Need to clean out the AC unit too before it comes online!