• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:07 PM

I haven't been active on GT Talk since around November, but I was thinking this could spark an interesting discussion. 

Hydrostatic or manual? Which is your favorite, and why?

For me I think I prefer a hydro, hydro lift and aux. ports are a huge advantage. They're also great for mowing the lawn, but there is  just a certain rugged "feel" to a manual that is appealing to me. Manuals are no fuss last forever sort of things, but hydro gives you all the luxuries without the need for a external pump.  

• tinbender7, Chopperhed, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,881 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Hydro for mowing, snowblowing, sweeping, and loader work.
Manual for tilling, plowing, spraying, fertilizing, and seeding.
  • Alc, tinbender7, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,101 Thanks
  • 3,194 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Depends what your doing I find. And depends on if it's a foot operated or hand handle operated hydro. There was a good thread about this a while ago on here. I don't know how you would find it thou. Noel
  • tinbender7 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#4 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:38 PM

I have a preference for manuals, however I do like my dad's Cub Cadet 782, never have driven a foot controlled hydro so no input on that.

• tinbender7, Chopperhed and propane1 have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:46 PM

most LT/GTs I have ownjed, were gear.  I currently have a Woods ZTR with twin hydros (one one each wheel) and an Ariens GT 19 with a hydro. I havent gotten to use the Ariens as much as I'd like to yet but so far sliding the lever to "just" the right speed for the job, I'm still gettin used to. Every tractor is a little different in that regard.  I find myself a little "fast" when it's time to slow down/stop with this particular machine, so far. 
I do like the hydros on the old Cub Cadets, like my cousin's 129 that I use dto run when I was a kid and the Hydro Quiet Lines. A guy I know has 2 QL's a 1200 (gear) and a 1250 (hydro) Same tractor except for transmission. Between those I do prefer the hydro.

Foot vs hand control?  Of the ones I have experienced, I have to say I much prefer the hand controls.

• Chopperhed and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Hydro foot control all the way! its just like having a gas pedal in the car. Wont to go faster push harder, want to slow down let up. It leaves both hands free for all the other stuff.

• Alc, tinbender7, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#7 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 09:39 PM

It depends.

• tinbender7 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 10:23 PM

Hydro foot control all the way! its just like having a gas pedal in the car. Wont to go faster push harder, want to slow down let up. It leaves both hands free for all the other stuff.

Amen to that!  Feet need something to do too!

Leaves a hand free for hydraulics or a pop...  Swatting those pesky deer flies!!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, May 19, 2015 - 10:25 PM.

• tinbender7 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#9 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 04:52 AM

Hydro for two reasons.

1. The superior control available for speed and direction changes.

2. The superior torque available to start a load into motion.

I have both hand and foot control hydro tractors and prefer the foot control for all tasks that don't involve long runs at a constant speed.

• Alc said thank you

#10 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 06:22 AM

Owned my first rider at 12 in 1965, from 3 h.p. solid tires Briggs and Stratton mower with one speed each way to 2 range Sundstrands and all in between, nothing overall is as flexible as a good working hydro.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 06:31 AM

I think it mainly has t do with obstacles. The more stuff to navigate around, the more speed and direction changes.
When plowing dirt, I prefer the "set it and forget it" that manuals provide. Also the ability to lean for traction that a foot hydro would hamper.
Snow removal, the hydro has a big advantage in speed changing and constant direction changes... Same for mowing.
Running a tiller, I don't know. I can see where the changes would be nice, but possibly more hassle than help in some cases.
  • dodge trucker and Chopperhed have said thanks

#12 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 06:47 AM

.Running a tiller, I don't know. I can see where the changes would be nice, but possibly more hassle than help in some cases.

Tilling with a hydro requires much finesse. The tiller tends to push the hydro requiring quite a bit of back and forth on the pedal to try to hold a speed that is not required with a manual transmission whose speed is controlled by the engine.

The density of the earth has a lot to do with it, especially with unbroken ground.

Edited by TUDOR, May 20, 2015 - 06:51 AM.

• MH81, dodge trucker, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 07:27 AM

Always been fond of manuals. To me they just seem to pull harder.

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 07:42 AM

I have a hydro in my F525 JD front deck mower and love it.  All my other tractor are gear driven but none are used for mowing - - yet.  The problem with the hydro's is they have to be run a near full throttle and who want to listen to that roar all the time.  Not me.  A gear drive with hydraulics is the ultimate for me.  My opinion but then I grew up on gear drive machines.  Hard to change an old dogs habits.

#15 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 08:05 AM

I was never one for hydro until I got the Massey GC1705 with foot controlled hydro.  That made me realize that it may depend a lot of what hydro it is.  I've had hydros in the past and got turned against them mainly because of the free wheeling I experienced.  I remember buying one figuring it would be easier to drive and my daughters could learn to mow.  Well I have hills and once they got on and started speeding up going down the hill, they said they never wanted to be on that tractor again.  I got rid of it and stuck with the gear drives for years after that.  Now I love the foot control hydro on the Massey and there is no free wheeling so I guess I like both.  My dad has a hand control hydro and I have to say I mush prefer the foot control.  Great for loader work.  Right now I jump from a hand control to a foot control to a manual where you push the clutch in to shift and let it out to go to a manual where you let the clutch out to shift and push it in to go.  It gets very frustrating trying to remember what you are driving.  As long as you remember before you get to the tree...

• MH81 and Chopperhed have said thanks