#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Last two  years been gonna clean my Harbor Freight parts washer stand. Well, started it today. No wonder it didn't pump anymore. I had it on angle to feed the pump, but whole bottom was about 3/4 to 1" thick with sludge, and pretty hard too!  What a mess. I cleaned and scraped up some into buckets, which I have no idea what to do with now, and rolled outside. gonna pressure wash them later after gunking down. Will be a mess. I've had big containers of thinner to put in when I got it clean setting there for two years, guess must be time??  Heh!

Sandblaster just not wanting to work right again. Have new gun parts, blew out the hoses, drained all the old sand, was getting pretty dusty and worn. Removed the pick-up tube to make sure it wasn't plugged. I bought one of those last year when old one had hole worn in it. Seemed to be clear. THEN, was gonna get sand, but saw bag of Black Magic under it and decided to throw that in for now. BUT, now it won't pull it up at all, and I can't back blow like you do when cleaning while using. Looked at it again and found the media is kinda damp. SO, even with lights on in there and getting kinda warm, looks like it isn't gonna be enough to dry out.  Gonna have to drain all that back out and go get some dry sand like I should have in first place. This black stuff will need to be spread out on a tarp in hot sun I think to get dry again. Got cold here and 50's and 60's is all we have for next few days, kinda sucks. I like working with door open and sun shining in, nice and warm to paint and do stuff. Did a little painting Purple on Mama's tractor today on stuff that DID blast before I tore into that, that was about it. My garage needs that MAJOR removal of everything and good cleaning and sweeping and even washing out the floor to be good for another year. Didn't get to that last summer, usually an annual event for me. Takes all day just to do that. Tired, coming in at 6:00 to snack and lie down before work this evening. 3rd shift!

• Gtractor, HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,434 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Are you sifting your black beauty. Makes a world of difference cleaning the sand. Sift it through some window screen,, you will be surprised how many larger pieces that will clog up blaster. 1/8" pieces will plug 'er
  • Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 07:51 AM

I have the 20 gal size parts washer from Harbor freight.  I use the filter material for a wheel type humidifier for the filter.  I keep several cut and ready to go in when I notice the stream slowing down.  I also keep it tilted away from the pump with 3/4" board under the legs.  This keeps the solids away from the pump.  I also run about a quart of water with the cleaner fluid (Mineral spirits) to act as a filter to help get the solids to the bottom quicker.  Magnetic heater in the winter and good to go year around.  Have had it about 5years now and only changed the fluid once.  Cleaned the tank several times and strained the fluid through an old T shirt and put it back in again.  Works for me but mine is not used daily either.

• lyall said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:10 PM

OK, got blaster fixed, kinda dumb!  I took out the damp Black Magic, got Silica sand and no change, durn!  THEN was trying to use and just not delivering the sand. Pulled the pick-up tubes ONCE more to see if missed plug. Then, noticed right at top  where the tube bends to be straight up again was a Big Hole! About 3/8" or so, metal thinned there from media speeding past I guess. SO, pushed the hose down all the way to and over the hole, clamped and tried and was Good to Go!  How dumb I missed that on first time I took tube out. OH, well, can get back to the parts now and be happy.....TIL the next problem shows up. Darn cabinets are always wearing something out and need repairs.

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 12:16 AM

Worked pressure washer today, and cleaned corner of garage for it and blaster. All new thinner in it, nice! How like messy wall from reaching for towels w/wet hand.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150522_184101.jpg

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 10:23 AM

OK, got blaster fixed, kinda dumb!  I took out the damp Black Magic, got Silica sand and no change, durn!  THEN was trying to use and just not delivering the sand. Pulled the pick-up tubes ONCE more to see if missed plug. Then, noticed right at top  where the tube bends to be straight up again was a Big Hole! About 3/8" or so, metal thinned there from media speeding past I guess. SO, pushed the hose down all the way to and over the hole, clamped and tried and was Good to Go!  How dumb I missed that on first time I took tube out. OH, well, can get back to the parts now and be happy.....TIL the next problem shows up. Darn cabinets are always wearing something out and need repairs.

Don't feel bad.  About 2 weeks ago I was using the angle grinder.  Set it down and then went to use it again and it didn't work.  It's and HF one so I figured the internals went out.  A few days later I decided to take a look at it.  Opened the cases and started reading out the wires and all read good, Until I tried to read from the plug to the switch.  It showed and open on the neutral wire.  So I figured it had to be the plug and it was a form type so I cut it off and then see that the wire is cut in nearly 2 about 3/4 of the way up!  :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:  So now not only do I get to repair the wire but also put a new plug on the end.  We all mess things.