• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ddpettin OFFLINE  

ddpettin
  • Member No: 70901
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:37 PM

My father recently gave me this Simplicity Sovereign tractor.  He doesn't know the last time it was running nor did he have a key for the tractor.  I would like to restore it and get it running but not sure where exactly where to start.  I also have a tow behind mower & tiller for it.  Any ideas/recommendations?

20150517_095126.jpg 20150517_095140.jpg 20150517_095042.jpg 20150517_095013.jpg

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:58 PM

Nice looker!  Good hard spray wash down, change the oil in engine and drain/change gas in tank. Maybe let carb bowl drain if hasn't run in long time. Charge or buy a battery for it.  The key just one of those "fits-all" Indak brand or is it a cut key?  Any dealer will have those indak keys for little money. A cut one might  require you to remove and take to lock-smith or just buy another switch for it. Get the right switch, go to a Mower dealer, not the hardware/auto store. Might wanna look here or on-line for manuals for it if you don't have. Owner's explains how to run and operate it, and parts manual should have blow-ups of assemblies and part numbers.  Service manual for that exact tractor may be harder to get, but parts book is big help if you can turn a wrench OK.

• Gtractor, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:58 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice 3416 there! Good luck with it!

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 06:20 PM

Welcome to the forum. What kind of backhoe you got hiding there?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 07:12 PM

How long has it been setting for ?  I would follow glrumpy but I might ad a few things.  if it has been setting for a long time I would clean the carb good along with the tank then I would take a real close look at the engine and make sure there is no signs of a mouse nest in there.  if the fins around the engine are all blocked up with mouse nest or grass then you can overheat the engine really quick.  once you get it to turn over you can check for spark, you may need to clean the points good.  hopefully that will be enough to get it running, keep up informed as to your progress.

Pete

#6 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:15 PM

You can buy keys at some auto parts stores. Or maybe even Lowes. They are all universal cut.

#7 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:20 PM

Any mower key will work, they're all the same. Just inspect everything like the oil level and whatnot, pour a little gas or shoot some brake clean down the carb, and see if she fires up! If not check for spark, if it fires up check out the fuel system. If everything looks good get a new fuel filter and fill it up.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Welcome aboard.  I think GLGrumpy and Petrj6 pretty much covered where to start.  Keep us posted on your progress and be sure to check out manual section for any manuals for the tractor.

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Welcome to GTT. You have a very good tractor there. When all fixed up, it will be great to operate. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 04:45 AM

Congratulations on the very nice Simplicity and welcome to GTTalk. Lots of good suggestions for you above. If you run into trouble don't hesitate to ask for help here.

#11 ddpettin OFFLINE  

ddpettin
  • Member No: 70901
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the recommendations!  I was worried about the key...didn't know if I was going to have to figure out how to hotwire it or what.  I will go down to Tractor Supply Company and see what they have.  I hope to give your recommendations a try this weekend!  Will post pictures of it running soon, I hope!

Cat385B, the backhoe I have hiding there is on a Kubota B1750.  I was able to take that off my father's hands as well!  :D