• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrcarnage OFFLINE  

mrcarnage
  • Member No: 70875
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have some experience working on lawn and garden tractors. I am currently working on a MTD yardman 14au804h401. It has a B&S Vtwin engine model 40777. The engine is completely out of the tractor. The tractor I'm working on has an electronic PTO that was attached to the crank but has been taken off. The only pulley left is the drive pulley which is causing my problems. I have 2 oil leaks. One coming from the seal and some seepage from around the sump gasket. The drive pulley that is on there does not seem to have any stop bolt or screw. It also does not seem to have a traditional key in the keyway. The pulley has an indentation on the pulley that sits in the keyway's groove. I have tried using 2 and 3 jaw pullers as well as soaking it in penetrating oil. all it did was start to bend the pulley. I also tried using a pulley puller but it also started to deform the pulley. I've applied heat while using the pullers and nothing.

So I guess my question is, is there anything else I can do to get this type of pulley off or am I going to have to cut it off the crankshaft. I have not tried using chisels on the bottom yet by the seal, but I don't know how far down the collar of the pulley goes and I don't want to start pounding on chisels until I get some better info from more experienced individuals.

Thanks for you replies and ideas
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 12:57 PM

Sounds like that pulley may be a press fit pulley.  The older Chevy trucks power steering pump pulleys were that way.  Takes a special tool to get them off.

#3 mrcarnage OFFLINE  

mrcarnage
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 01:41 PM

Sounds like that pulley may be a press fit pulley.  The older Chevy trucks power steering pump pulleys were that way.  Takes a special tool to get them off.

That's what I thought. The only problem is the tool that is supposed to work on press fit pulleys will not work with this application. I had a Bearing/Pulley puller I can get under the bottom pulley flange (between pulley and case) but when I apply pressure the bottom flange starts to bend upwards. Ill take pics of the puller and pulley and post them when I have time. those pics might help.  

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 02:40 PM

It sounds like the pulley is made of stamped steel.

After thoroughly cleaning the shaft where the pulley slides off, the best method I have found is using an air hammer.

Have access to one of those?

Thread a bolt into the end of the crankshaft to protect the end of the crank.  ....Use a bolt that will not be used again, as it will probably get deformed in the process.  .....The best bolt is a short one that will screw all the way into the crank, so the underside of the head is against the end of the crankshaft.

Pull on the pulley using just hand pressure while using a blunt punch in the air hammer to hammer against the head of the installed bolt.  ......90% of the time, the pulley will "walk" off the shaft.

For the 9% of the times that that method will not work, you may be able to use the air hammer to hit the back of the pulley near the hub to drive the pulley off.

For the 1% of the times that neither method works, you may have to resort to ruining the pulley to remove it.

• Alc, holdenboy1960 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 mrcarnage OFFLINE  

mrcarnage
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 03:06 PM

It sounds like the pulley is made of stamped steel.

After thoroughly cleaning the shaft where the pulley slides off, the best method I have found is using an air hammer.

Have access to one of those?

Thread a bolt into the end of the crankshaft to protect the end of the crank.  ....Use a bolt that will not be used again, as it will probably get deformed in the process.  .....The best bolt is a short one that will screw all the way into the crank, so the underside of the head is against the end of the crankshaft.

Pull on the pulley using just hand pressure while using a blunt punch in the air hammer to hammer against the head of the installed bolt.  ......90% of the time, the pulley will "walk" off the shaft.

For the 9% of the times that that method will not work, you may be able to use the air hammer to hit the back of the pulley near the hub to drive the pulley off.

For the 1% of the times that neither method works, you may have to resort to ruining the pulley to remove it.

Yes I do have one or two. I saw something similar to this on YouTube. Guy used a junk 1/4 extension, took a deep socket placed it in the threaded hole (to protect the threads, I guess), put the extension into the socket then used an air hammer on the extension. It worked for him too, but it wasn't a really clear vid so I didn't know if he had done anything else.

So my next day off I'll try it. Do you happen to know if it will take more than just hand pressure to help it walk off?

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Do you happen to know if it will take more than just hand pressure to help it walk off?

As you already found out, pressure from a puller will distort the pulley.  .....If hand pressure alone doesn't work for you, you may be able to exert some pressure on the back of the hub with a pry bar.

I almost always was able to just use hand pressure.  .....Of course, each case is different.  ...Good luck!

• mrcarnage said thank you