• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:09 AM

:confuse:I was changing the oil in my F-250 yesterday and noticed a constant drip coming down the side of the oil pan. I looked up the side of the pan to find oil leaking out around where the drip stick tube comes through the pan. It seems that someone decide to make the tube a 2 piece design that uses a compression style fitting through the side of the pan. Once it starts to leak, you can carefully remove the outside nut and apply some RTV and re tighten the nut. WARNING- you must be very careful not to loose the inner assembly, or you will have to pull the pan to repair it. I tried to do this last night with no luck. I am going to attempt it again Monday at work, where I had to leave the truck for the weekend. If I can't get it to quit leaking, I will have to lift the engine enough to pull the pan, I hope I can fix it with out doing that. :confuse:

It's a 1999 Ford

Does anyone have any advice on this??? Thanks

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, March 26, 2011 - 09:14 AM.
added year of truck

#2 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Brian, I know the feeling, my 96-250 gas jobs pan is rusted and leaking. same deal here, have to lift engine on mine to remove pan. no fun at all. Shawn

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:45 AM

Shawn, it's an all day job to fix something that the factory saved a penny a piece on. Thank You Accounting Dept...:wallbanging:

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 01:52 PM

Back when I worked for the landscaper they had a f450 4wd flatbed with a rusted out oil pan, you could see the oil come out through a couple of spots. So with nothing to loose and not wanting to pull the motor what we did was drain the oil, let it sit for 1 day, clean the pan spotless best I could, then I sprayed it with "truck bed liner" let it dry for 2 days. That pan never leaked again, I left 2yrs after doing this, and still no leak.
BTW for what it's worth the best, fastest, most powerful, fuel efficient, dependable, reliable vehicle they had out of about 20, for the 7yrs I worked there was a Ford cube van with the powerstroke diesel.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and tractorgarden have said thanks

#5 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 03:39 PM

When it snows it drifts, when it rains floods, old faithful is getting very tired. rear drum exploded taking the shoes and wheel cylinder with it. Maybe she s upset about me telling everyone that she had leak. :wallbanging::( Keep Smiling everyone, Its only a TEST,I hope.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:19 PM

Back when I worked for the landscaper they had a f450 4wd flatbed with a rusted out oil pan, you could see the oil come out through a couple of spots. So with nothing to loose and not wanting to pull the motor what we did was drain the oil, let it sit for 1 day, clean the pan spotless best I could, then I sprayed it with "truck bed liner" let it dry for 2 days. That pan never leaked again, I left 2yrs after doing this, and still no leak.
BTW for what it's worth the best, fastest, most powerful, fuel efficient, dependable, reliable vehicle they had out of about 20, for the 7yrs I worked there was a Ford cube van with the powerstroke diesel.

Doug, I may try that Monday..Can you buy that stuff in a spray can??

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 10:57 PM

Doug, I may try that Monday..Can you buy that stuff in a spray can??

If I remember right it came from NAPA in a 1Lt tin, 1 part no mixing and I used an undercoating gun. Put it on thick and tried to get the whole pan without making to much mess.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 04:39 AM

I have a '93 F-250 with 7.3 and have not had that problem.Although mine has the turbo seal leaking a bit.