• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrcarnage OFFLINE  

mrcarnage
  • Member No: 70875
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 03:05 AM

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have some experience working on lawn and garden tractors. I am currently working on a MTD yardman 14au804h401. It has a B&S Vtwin engine model 40777. The engine is completely out of the tractor. The tractor I'm working on has an electronic PTO that was attached to the crank but has been taken off. The only pulley left is the drive pulley which is causing my problems. I have 2 oil leaks. One coming from the seal and some seepage from around the sump gasket. The drive pulley that is on there does not seem to have any stop bolt or screw. It also does not seem to have a traditional key in the keyway. The pulley has an indentation on the pulley that sits in the keyway's groove. I have tried using 2 and 3 jaw pullers as well as soaking it in penetrating oil. all it did was start to bend the pulley. I also tried using a pulley puller but it also started to deform the pulley. I've applied heat while using the pullers and nothing.

So I guess my question is, is there anything else I can do to get this type of pulley off or am I going to have to cut it off the crankshaft. I have not tried using chisels on the bottom yet by the seal, but I don't know how far down the collar of the pulley goes and I don't want to start pounding on chisels until I get some better info from more experienced individuals.

Thanks for you replies and ideas      

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 11:28 AM

Sounds like you have a press fit pulley.  By that I mean the pulley was forced onto the crank shaft by means of a special machine.  GM power steer pumps from their older pickups had that same type of application.  GM had a special tool to pull the pulley off the shaft.  You might check with a GM mechanic or private mechanic that works on GM and see what he says.  He just might be able to help you.

• mrcarnage said thank you

#3 mrcarnage OFFLINE  

mrcarnage
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like you have a press fit pulley.  By that I mean the pulley was forced onto the crank shaft by means of a special machine.  GM power steer pumps from their older pickups had that same type of application.  GM had a special tool to pull the pulley off the shaft.  You might check with a GM mechanic or private mechanic that works on GM and see what he says.  He just might be able to help you.

Thanks for the reply. I also asked this in the GT general forum. Like I said on there, I've tried the pulley puller all it did was start to bend the lower pulley flange. Someone also suggested I try a bolt and and impact hammer and it may walk itself off. I'll try that and see how t goes.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I also asked this in the GT general forum. Like I said on there, I've tried the pulley puller all it did was start to bend the lower pulley flange. Someone also suggested I try a bolt and and impact hammer and it may walk itself off. I'll try that and see how t goes.

Is that on a shaft with bearings on it? If so, that hammer may do damage to things!

#5 mrcarnage OFFLINE  

mrcarnage
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Is that on a shaft with bearings on it? If so, that hammer may do damage to things!

No, not on the pulley end its just a bushing with an inner and outer seal. I think the air hammer is just being used to vibrate the pulley off.

#6 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 06:11 PM

The drive pulley should just slide off. It may have worn and rotated on the engine shaft. If the key on the pulley is lined up with the shaft keyway then it may be rusted in place. Try driving the pulley up to break it loose. You are replacing the shaft seal anyway so it should not damage the case.