#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:07 AM

Yay! Canada's in an election.

No partisan shots here please, it isn't the time or place for it.

I just want to say that we only had 58% voter turn-out last time, so all my fellow Canadians should follow the campaigns, decide who they want to vote for, and make it to the polls on voting day.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:13 AM

Whether you are Canadian or American, Everyone needs to vote every time you can. When people don't vote, you end up with people in office, that shouldn't be there....PLEASE, GET OUT AND VOTE !!!!!

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,625 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:31 AM

whether you are canadian or american, everyone needs to vote every time you can. When people don't vote, you end up with people in office, that shouldn't be there....please, get out and vote !!!!!

ditto!

#4 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 10:00 AM

I think it should be made mandatory to vote to help with all the minority governments we end up with here in Canada. Minority governments seem to not get things done as a majority government would regardless of what party you vote for.
My two cents

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 11:31 AM

I kind of like minorities when they work, awol. Our political mix means that even majorities don't represent over 50% of the voters, so having one party implement their agenda seems pretty undemocratic. We have a history, under Diefenbaker and Pearson, of good working minorities as well. This latest bunch seems incapable of working together though which seems silly because if you take all of their best ideas, there's a lot of common ground there.

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Majority...Minority

There are pluses and minuses to both.....I like what Harpers govt has done with the recession...If they really had anything to do with it.....But, we seem to be in better shape than many other countries these days.....

People that dont vote have no reason to complain about anything.......

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:20 PM

$300,000,000.00 price tag

I Know, I know, no partisan shots here, but I think if we're going to play on
a level playing field, every riding should have a Bloc representitive running there.
We could then vote for them, let them go forward with their agenda, and seperate.
Then the rest of Canada could finally get back to our business.
It boggles my mind, that our laws allow a coalition oppostion with a member
that has only an interest in seperating from Canada.
This crap has been going on for 30 years. Costing us, the tax payers millions.
This stale mate won't go away, while they have too many options.
The herd must be thinned out.

#8 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Some days, I think Ontario should separate from Toronto...........

#9 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Do you guys have un-biased news coverage of candidates, or they pre-ordained by networks like they are in U.S.?

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 04:23 AM

whether you are canadian or american, everyone needs to vote every time you can. When people don't vote, you end up with people in office, that shouldn't be there....please, get out and vote !!!!!

ditto !!!

#11 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 05:00 AM

Do you guys have un-biased news coverage of candidates, or they pre-ordained by networks like they are in U.S.?

Yeah....sort of the same, maybe not as obvious......They have their opinions and favorites.....

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 11:11 PM

$300,000,000.00 price tag

I Know, I know, no partisan shots here, but I think if we're going to play on
a level playing field, every riding should have a Bloc representitive running there.
We could then vote for them, let them go forward with their agenda, and seperate.
Then the rest of Canada could finally get back to our business.
It boggles my mind, that our laws allow a coalition oppostion with a member
that has only an interest in seperating from Canada.
This crap has been going on for 30 years. Costing us, the tax payers millions.
This stale mate won't go away, while they have too many options.
The herd must be thinned out.

A few things.
Members of the Bloc are elected under the same rules and laws as any other MP.
Polls show that a lot non-separatists vote for the Bloc.
The Bloc, by all non-partisan accounts, does an excellent job of representing their constituents.

I don't like them either, IamSherwood, but they are legitimate and the people they represent have every right to choose the representatives they want. There are also separatist parties in other parliaments. Scotland comes to mind. The reason the Bloc was accepted into parliament when they first split from the Mulroney government was because the precedent was there in other Westminister systems. The reason it never went to court is because all the experts agreed that if it did, the Bloc would win and all that would have been accomplished was handing them more political ammo.

As for the coalition thing, it's also perfectly legitimate. All parties, including the one now claiming that coalitions are illegitimate, have sought coalitions and/or working arrangements with other parties...including the Bloc. Coalitions are quite common under the Westminister Parliamentary System and are the rule rather than the exception in most of Europe most of the time.

A coalition that includes the Bloc is also a non-starter at this point. Our present PM may have considered it in 1997 and 2004 (different times, different context), but in 2006 the Liberals and NDP specifically left the Bloc out of their attempted coalition, including them only in an agreement to provide economic stimulus. After that attempt failed, under many misrepresentations that the Bloc was part of the coalition, it became obvious that including the Bloc in any arrangement was toxic. Nobody is going to enter into a formal agreement with them at this point.

Likely the best way to get rid of the Bloc as a major force is to enter into a system of mixed proportional representation. It would almost certainly reduce them to fourth party status which would reduce their influence. If their influence was reduced, they'd garner fewer voters.

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 11:20 PM

Some days, I think Ontario should separate from Toronto...........

Yeah, I've always wondered about Ontario. Thunder Bay west has more in common with Manitoba and Saskatchewan than it does with Southern Ontario. There was actually a plan around the time Saskatchewan became a province to have one big province from the Alberta/Saskatchewan border all the way to some little town just east of Thunder Bay, with the capitol in Indian Head, SK. Then the railroads and shipping companies got involved and we ended up with what we have now.

I don't know whether that plan actually made sense or not, but it's really no goofier than what Ontario is now.

#14 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 07:39 AM

I actually do go and vote [every time] even though I don't like elections.The reason I say this is that from what they show on TV about the candidates and the odd time that I watch some stuff that goes on in the house of commons.Too me its no better then a bunch of young kids in school.Look at me I;am better then you,if I was in charge I'd do it this way.So put me in charge I'll show you how to do it the right way.Then the other one starts no my way is better etc: etc: and it goes on and on.Come on to me when you see stuff like that it turns me off.Just like watching a bunch of kids on a playground.Nothing really gets accomplished?? So really to me it seems like a bunch of Adults vieying to be on top to get paid top $$$$ to act like a bunch of kids. JMO .This is the only thing I'll say about this. Larry.

#15 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 10:26 AM

They certainly are like that, Larry. More than that, I'd say that it's getting worse. Some think that's because of minority governments, but I think it's because things are becoming more and more polarized. There are some very good people in all parties though, and a lot of those people want to fix things. If you look at Chong, Cody, Bigras, and Dewar...four people from four parties...they've all worked hard to try to make things better both by reforming parliament and by making changes to our system.

I think the biggest single problem is the amount of power we've given to the PMO and the resulting leader-centric politics. How much coverage do you see of local candidates? Unless they make a mistake or cause a scandal, none. We don't vote for the Prime Minister though, we vote for our local MPs. Those MPs choose the Prime Minister. How come we so rarely hear from our local people then? Because everything is run out of leader's offices for the parties.

When a party...any party...wins the election, 22 year old political staffers in the PMO have more real power than elected representatives named as ministers. It's bizarre and causes a host of problems.

With all of that though, our system does manage to stumble along, at least so far.