• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:53 AM

Stopped by a L&G repair shop to is if anything has came in that could be bought up and saw a 318 with a Linamar LX790 110935H twin in it. It looks just like the original Onan. I have never seen or heard of this brand, does anyone know what it is? Going back out there today pick up something else I snagged a couple weeks ago, but haven't picked up yet, will take a couple pictures and post today.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Linamar bought out Onan, then Cummins bought out Linamar. Same engines. Brian, did you get my PM on the JD140 brakes?
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:00 AM

Yes Daniel, I forgot to answer you. Sorry, I will get a wieght Monday and get you a shipping price.

#4 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:13 AM

Brian,
Daniel is right. Linamar bought out Onan a few years back. And then Cummins bought out Linamar. This day of mergers and take-overs, it's hard to keep up. Simplicity bought out Snapper, and then Briggs & Stratton bought out Simplicity. MTD is buying anything they can get their hands on - in recent years they bought Bolens and Troybilt. They had already owned Cub Cadet since 1981. Wheel Horse was originally bought by AMC in 1973 (yes, American Motors), and then AMC sold it to an investment group in 1983, which in turn sold it to Toro in 1986, who kept the line and the name going until 2007. BTW, Toro then contracted MTD to build their lawn and garden tractors, but their zero turns are still built by Toro. Toro also owns Exmark. John Deere at one time owned Great Dane mowers, or at least was associated with them. John Deere also owned Homelite at one time.

Who knows who's going to own who next.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and akretowicz have said thanks

#5 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• Member No: 2482
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Onan had trouble meeting the new federal emissions rules. They absolutely refused to change over from the stand 1920's opposed cylinder design. They sold the engine/generator line out to Cummins Diesel and that's who is in charge of new engine parts. Linamar (of Canada) bought the rights to make stand alone engines, but then they were bought out and liquidated cheap. That's how the Linamar got in there. TMO is right EXCEPT, MTD was bought out (and almost every other make you can think of) by Electrolex of Sweden. Yup, that vacuum cleaner company. It's really a big big corporation though.

#6 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:16 AM

Onan had trouble meeting the new federal emissions rules. They absolutely refused to change over from the stand 1920's opposed cylinder design. They sold the engine/generator line out to Cummins Diesel and that's who is in charge of new engine parts. Linamar (of Canada) bought the rights to make stand alone engines, but then they were bought out and liquidated cheap. That's how the Linamar got in there. TMO is right EXCEPT, MTD was bought out (and almost every other make you can think of) by Electrolex of Sweden. Yup, that vacuum cleaner company. It's really a big big corporation though.

Actually MTD wasn't bought out by Electrux. MTD is still a separate company. Electrux owns AYP (American Yard Products) who makes most of the Craftsman and Poulan. Also, Electrux owned Husqevarna at one time, so they were made by AYP also. I think Husqevarna are stand alone now, but on that I'm not sure, though AYP still makes most of their residential equipment.

Most people confused AYP and MTD, but they're different companies. BTW, from the things I've read, MTD owns Ryobi now.