#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 04:36 PM

Have tractor that was supposed to have had a Vanguard. 16hp. I only know of V-twins with that name. Is there singles too?  Are they hard to find? Problem engine, not offered long?  Help me out here, and might be looking for one if not too pricey.  Anyone have one?

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 05:14 PM

No so sorry i got out of this ( Hobby ) last year . No no wait maybe this year . 

Patrick

• superaben said thank you

#3 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 05:55 PM

Briggs also had single cylinders in the Vanguard line up for awhile.  Neighbor has one on a Dixon ZTR and I have seen a few thru the shop on both Dixon's and Simplicity Regents.  Mike

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 08:36 PM

I have a 14hp single here

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 08:44 PM

Vanguards were not a very good engine.  Cheaper built and lacked a lot of durability.  Needed TLC on a small mower and they worked ok.  I never like or had any good luck with them.

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 09:43 PM

this is my 1st Vanguard, had it running but surged like carb had dirty jet somewhere. did the quickie clean on it, (looked spotless within the bowl) and pinched the bowl seal so now it leaks, and I gotta get the kit for the carb before i can tell if my cleanout job did the trick. 

I have heard nothing but good on the Vanguard twins, have never heard anything good or bad on the single cyl. Vanguards, other than that they are "way better than an Intek".  all I know is that the 14hp I have, seems "big" physically/ for the power it's rated at. I figured they were as good as the twin versions that are raved about. 

I got it on a Swisher 44" tow behind trail finish mower. the guy I got it from mounted the engine and abandoned it there because of no gas tank. Swisher originally had a Briggs 10 on it that supposedly blew up, so this was the replacement the past owner found for it.

(It's down to 2nd in line to be worked on now)  not sure yet if the 14hp vanguard will stay or the 13HP Tec Enduro I also have here, will take its place, before this machine gets finished.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Vanguards are great engines.  They are built craftsman style versus assembly line style like the rest of Briggs line.  Each guy assembles each engine from bare bones to complete. 

They did make single cylinder models, although they are not as common as the twins.  The twins are nearly indestructible.  The big block versions now will destroy something before they quit, probably the most torqued up air cooled engine I have seen, and the only real disadvantage is that they use a lot of fuel to do it. 

The biggest issue with Vanguard is cooling.  Make sure that engine is always kept cool, otherwise it will overheat and destroy the valve guides and (worst case) total itself on one cylinder.  Any engine will do that, but a Vanguard seems to be more susceptible than other models for some reason. 

Ben W.

• BNK and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:20 PM

Have tractor that was supposed to have had a Vanguard. 16hp. I only know of V-twins with that name. Is there singles too?  Are they hard to find? Problem engine, not offered long?  Help me out here, and might be looking for one if not too pricey.  Anyone have one?

They made a 16 hp V-twin Vanguard--I have one in my Broyhill lawn truck. It's the same physical size as the 18 hp, and IIRC, has the same bore and stroke.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 18, 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 01:03 PM

Have a 16hp in a G16XT.  Been through the carb twice and it still won't run smooth like it should.  Hi speed jet is only out about 1/8th turn to get it as good as it gets at higher RPM.  Idle is not to bad but can't idle around all the time.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 01:31 PM

Just talked to PO and he said "Was" V-twin, so got that straightened out now. Also had electric pto. Tractor about same as 1640 with those two changes then.  Might be a 93, hard to imagine looking at it. Not sure if I should try to find that engine or just go on and put something else in it? 

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 01:50 PM

Lots of New Vanguard twins on epay and Small engine Warehouse and such. Most are 18hp, but same size physically. Around $900 to $1500 depending on features. Lots of cheaper ones with pull start, don't want that.  I won't be buying new, more value than the old tractor, but at least they are out there. Even Northern Tools has quite a few. Some epay sellers even ship FREE, hmmmm!

#12 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 06:04 AM

I have been a user of B&S Vanguards since 2008. I strongly agree with Ben's quote. I think they are a Honda clone (made in Japan...at least mine is). I always blow off debris from the cylinders and once a year remove the tin and do a total cleaning. Main issue I have found is the rubber vent tube can get hard,crack and leak oil. And short out a coil pack (or two). A new $6 vent tube will save a $100 coil pack. 

• Cvans said thank you