• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hope weedeaters fit into this category...

Iv'e seen this problem 1000 times and hundreds of opinions on how to fix...

My Royobi only runs when almost on full choke,(, and not to well at that )    Iv'e bought the carb kit,,, same problem...  Iv'e replaced the filter and fuel lines No luck..

This is why most people just throw them out and buy new... I have fixed a few of them in the past.. But to run good one day and not the next..?????  or ever again..!!

One thing I noticed is that there are air bubbles in the fuel lines,, which could very well be starveing the amount of fuel,,Hence needing to be almost on choke...Not sure... They vibrate and get flipped around so much during use ..

Any Experts out there...??????                                sodi

• holdenboy1960 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:29 AM

No! But have found that the fuel lines often need replaced and the primer bulbs too .
Mine disappeared last year? And I bought the cheapest Stihl I could and am very pleased.
  • sodisr and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:51 AM

Most of the shops around here pretty much just replace the carburetors on the small engines like the weed eaters.  I will usually take one apart and clean it but if it won't run right after that I order a new carburetor.  There are so many small orifices and you can't be sure you have them all clean.  Most small Carburetors are under $30 although I have found a few quite pricey.

• sodisr, TomLGT195 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 11:11 AM

:ditto:

The most practical thing to do on these newer pieces of equipment is to replace the filters lines and get a whole new carb. It actually costs more to rebuild them than what it is to replace the whole carbs. Many are epa compliant and are non adjustable so they pretty much force you on a new one anyway.

• HDWildBill, sodisr, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#5 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 04:00 PM

I've had some success in cleaning carbs on these smaller engines.  The greatest success was an Echo PB400 backpack blower I found on CL for $25.  The seller said that the repair shop wanted over a $100 to replace the carb and he couldn't see spending that much on it.  I bought it and took the carb apart and cleaned it and blew out all the small jets.  Been using it for two years now and it runs great with no problems.

• HDWildBill, sodisr, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 05:10 PM

I had a similar problem and the repair shop said same thing , replace Carb! It was cheap enough under $40, so I did and it never ran so good. Good luck ,Tom

• HDWildBill, sodisr and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:32 PM

I was telling a co-worker about a weed eater I had that wouldn't run right....bla, bla, bla.

He said I should check the screen in the muffler. Sure enough it was caked up and almost solid with crap.

I removed the screen and soaked it in gasoline and scrubbed it with  wire brush. After I had it cleaned up and re-assembled it ran like a top again.

If you run a weed-eater or most any 2 cycle engine less that wide open, they have a tendency to clog up the muffler screen,

• Alc, dthomp17, Trav1s and 3 others have said thanks

#8 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,089 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 08:09 PM

The last carb I bought was $13 I do replace them on customers weedeaters and any other 2 cycle it save me time which save the customer money.

• HDWildBill, sodisr and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#9 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 09:01 AM

I was telling a co-worker about a weed eater I had that wouldn't run right....bla, bla, bla.

He said I should check the screen in the muffler. Sure enough it was caked up and almost solid with crap.

I removed the screen and soaked it in gasoline and scrubbed it with  wire brush. After I had it cleaned up and re-assembled it ran like a top again.

If you run a weed-eater or most any 2 cycle engine less that wide open, they have a tendency to clog up the muffler screen,

Had this very thing happen with an old Homelite that I ran too rich.  After cleaning the "spark arrestor" it was fine for a couple of years.  Eventually I got sick of fighting it and replaced it with a Stihl.

• KC9KAS and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#10 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 08:15 AM

most of the ryobi weed eaters had 2 mixture screws  , high & low revv , & some times with vibration they would get out of wack & were fiddly to re-trim to or tune

• sodisr said thank you

#11 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 07:24 AM

I know this is sort of a old post but wondering if Weed eater is the Weed eater brand string trimmer or is Weed eater a lump all machines that use line to trim ?

Figure most people buy the 87 octane pump gas with 10% or 15% Ethanol in it, It is a known fact that this stuff will not store more than 30 days in a can straight from the pump. If you plan on storing more than you can use in one outing treat it with a product like Stabil. Mix the oil to the correct ratio per the owners manual don't put in a little extra oil for good measure.  

First thing people do when having problems with a 2 stroke engine is mess with the carb all well and good but if gasoline was left in the tank for a extended time there is gum in the tank and cleaning the carb or replacing it a thousand times will not help until you get that filter out of the tank and either clean it with a carb cleaner or what I use is lacquer thinner or replace it also get the gum out of the lines.

I have never ever seen one of those little carbs that didn't respond to a real good cleaning in thinner and blowing it out with compressed air.

I have a Echo 160GT AE that will be 30 years old soon as it was a fathers day gift in 1985. Still runs like a top and starts very easy every spring and all summer long.

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, June 10, 2015 - 07:25 AM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 11:43 AM

:ditto:

Many are epa compliant and are non adjustable so they pretty much force you on a new one anyway.

unless you know how to fix that problem :rocker2:

My new Ryobi I bought a few yrs ago wouldn't not run worth $.02, remixed gas, adjusted carb, just would not rev up high enough to keep head moving when trimming. I did some "fixing" so I could adjust mixtures screws, turned both 1/2-3/4 turns over factory setting. Now it runs like a scalded dog....like it's supposed to.

I think the little ceramic style filter inside the tank also get slugged up......usually over the winter when people do not drain or properly winterize thus starving the engine for fuel.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you