• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 57 Gravely LI OFFLINE  

57 Gravely LI
  • Member No: 69938
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Hello, I'm new to GT Talk. It's quickly becoming a favorite! I have recently acquired a Bolens 750. I think it is in great original condition. It's so nice I'm thinking of keeping it all original. I have a few questions, I would like to know what kind of lube was used in the rear end. It runs good as long as the choke it out, so do I need to rebuild the carb or just a good cleaning. It's the original B & S 7hp. And last, I'm looking for a steering wheel cap. I'm told that the caps of MF GT's will work. I saw NOS on line but I thought it was very pricey, very nice but to much $. I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,446 Thanks
  • 17,086 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:40 AM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

Nice looking tractor!

I would take the carb apart and see what the inside looks like, the rebuild kits are not that expensive so while you have it apart you may want to put in new needles, gaskets and seats.

If your looking for a cheap cap they come up for sale USED on ebay from time to time.

• 57 Gravely LI said thank you

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,048 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:54 AM

The transaxle takes SAE90 gear lube, filled to the level of the fill plug, so that if any more is added it spills out.

Are you getting black smoke (too rich mixture)  while the engine is running?

Have you tried adjusting the carb?  .....Before tearing into the carb, unscrew the main needle valve 1/8 turn at a time to see if the engine will stay running as the choke is gradually pushed in.

Sometimes, as the ignition gets weak, it will ignite a rich mixture but not stay running unless the choke is partly closed.

• Bolens 1000 and 57 Gravely LI have said thanks

#4 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 1,061 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Nice looking tractor. If you want an inexpensive cap for the steering wheel you could get a round amber clearance amp and mount it the way I did on my 1050 if you can get the nut to move - Caution - it may be rusted if the tractor has sat outside. I picked up the light I used on sale for about 3.00 - not original but it would work until you find one in your price range - just a suggestion.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7.5 Bracket Installed.jpg
  • 8 Base Installed.jpg
  • 10 Amber Lense Installed.jpg
  • 11 Amber Lense Installed 2.jpg

• 57 Gravely LI said thank you

#5 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,278 Thanks
  • 1,702 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 11:32 AM