• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 faucet OFFLINE  

faucet
  • Member No: 70529
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:22 AM

Hi gentlemen, I'm new to this Forum and live in West Kent UK. My neighbour has a Toro 520H - 73520 bought new in 1993. It has the Onan twin engine P220G/1/109 55D (0?) type D536 MR and Hydrostatic transmission. It's main use is for raking the riding practice area and the odd trailering of logs. There's not many hours on it because it is an absolute pig to start from cold and always has been so therefore the work is not getting done as regularly as it should!  Once it has warmed up it's no problem. Try as we might we do not seem to improve the cold starting. At it's last service it had new plug leads and ignition module and the 'hunting' on no load cured. To start from cold It doesn't like choke and needs just a little crack of throttle which results in lots of cranking, coughs and splutters vapour out of the exhaust which sometimes backfires (interesting!) and eventually it will continue to run rather lumpy until it warms up. You cannot touch the throttle until the engine has some heat in it or it will stop. The air filter is clean.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It has got to the point where I have bought a Ford LGT 14D with a 3 cylinder diesel engine, which starts 1st time, while we decide what to do with the Toro.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:53 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! That starting issue sounds like the float it too high and flooding it. I have a P220G and it starts very easily.

• faucet said thank you

#3 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 08:35 AM

I am thinking carb as well may wanna try rebuilding it
  • faucet said thank you

#4 faucet OFFLINE  

faucet
  • Member No: 70529
  • 3 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 04:10 PM

Thank you gentlemen that may also explain why it is so thirsty on fuel. I will give that a go.

#5 theroundhousernr OFFLINE  

theroundhousernr
  • Member No: 71134
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 04:24 PM

It is so thirsty on fuel because its an Onan... lol seriously. They are fuel hogs but sound so good.

#6 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 04:43 AM

Clean your carb.  Didn't think I would but now I'm an Onan believer.

The power and sound of power is very smooth. My 520-8 does everything I ask.

Changed decals, steering wheel cap and engine screen center piece. Now without the T ( :D ) not afraid to be seen in public.  Grandson had a few tractors out for air this afternoon.

WH-Onan+Steer+Decals.jpg

Fleet_Air.jpg

Edited by Tankman, July 03, 2015 - 08:57 PM.

• Alc said thank you