• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 04:01 AM

Got the Cub off the ground, but will need ballast on the front of the Ford. It wanted to do a wheelie, so I put the Cub back down. This will work, just needs a little fine tuning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15305[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15306[/ATTACH]

Another thing, once i got it up, the Ford wanted to back up on it's own. Not sure what is going on there. May need a little more tension on the centering springs for neutral.

Kenny

It sounds like something may be flexing or is loose in the drivetrain. I'd have a good look at the tranny linkage, rear axle mounts and the frame to make sure it's sound.
  • KennyP said thank you

#62 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 04:32 AM

That's what I was wondering. At least I know it will lift that much weight and the hitch held. Time for some investigation, but have work this week again. Got rather burnt out yesterday, no play time. At least I didn't bend/break the hitch again.
I didn't get off and look, but the lift rod may be flexing into the foot pedal linkage causing it to try to go backwards. Just thought about that. May be the weekend before I can have a look. Will be thinking how to attach front weight. I need some expanded metal for the bottom of a box so it doesn't hold water.

Edited by KennyP, May 31, 2011 - 04:39 AM.
Added Comment

#63 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 10:16 AM

It can be hard to get the time to work on things. I find this is a busy time of the year. I have my 314 apart and it is taking forever to get it back together. I find the troubleshooting and problem solving to be very satisfying. You will nail down the issue with the tranny control and get it fixed. I had a cast concrete front weight for my x475. I had the front quick hitch and I made a cement form with the hardware to accept the hitch. So I just drove up to the 200+ lb. weight and picked it up with the hitch. I used a 24" rear scoop and without the weight it got a bit lite in the front.
  • KennyP said thank you

#64 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:40 PM

This tow hitch isn't pressing right now, just a pain in the side to get things working. Once work calms down, I have a Craftsman II that I want to tow up and pull the engine. Starter is kaput, has a slight knock. May part it. Everything is there, just don't need it. At least I am figuring what the Ford will/will not do. This is my first hydro, so the learning curve is way out there.

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 05:08 PM

Brian, you have probably hit the nail on the head about flex in the drive line. Put this up elsewhere and got 'possible cracked welds in the rear part of the frame'. Sounds like a correct answer, now have to dig in there and find out what is going on. Thank you for the suggestion. Keep them coming.

#66 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3424
  • 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 01:18 PM

Come on guy's I have enough things to build without more Ideas from you.:chaser:

#67 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Justpics, this one has been going on for a while. It works, just have issues with the tractor.

#68 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 06:54 AM

Looked over what I could see of the frame without removing the seat pan and didn't see any cracks anywhere. I am going to adjust the hydro centering spring a little. Then I plan to lift the Cub again with the trans in neutral and look at things with weight on it. Maybe something will show up.

#69 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 01:21 PM

My thanks to DGS345 (Dan) for the inspiration to get off my duff and do something with this hitch. I cut 3 1/2" off the length and am not stressing things as before. I still have the creep problem when the Cub is lifted, but may have found the reason. Anyway, here are some pics of the lift in progress.
Image0021.jpg

The first is where I just lifted it, second is moved forward about 8'. The Ford was not light in the front and was able to back the Cub into it's parking spot with no problem, other than the creep I get with a Load back there.
The last two are of where I suspect my creep condition arises. The bar below the tube frame is where the transaxle bolts in and has the linkage at the pedal tied to it. I can't be positive, but I believe there is a vertical hairline crack where it is welded to the rear support. With all the rust along the top of this bar next to the frame, I am suspecting this bar is moving slightly during the lift and causing the tractor to creep rearward. Once I can get some good light under there (and the temps moderate some) too see better, I will fix as necessary. I am sure this is the culprit. Shouldn't take too much to correct.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image001.jpg
  • Image002.jpg
  • Image003.jpg

#70 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 02:00 PM

Nice job glad to see you have it working. Hope you can get your your creep fixed

#71 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 02:09 PM

I think it will be easy, just getting under there with some light to check it out real good first. Thanks for looking.

#72 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 07:59 AM

Keep us up to date on your progress. I haven't had much time to work on mine this week darn job keeps taking up my tractor time.

#73 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Dan, I have been on a job for 2 1/2 months and won't be through until Labor Day. And I'm supposed to be RETIRED!!!!