10 replies to this topic

#1 Dale Davis OFFLINE  

Dale Davis
  • Member No: 70816
  • 6 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hi everyone !

I'm new to the site, and am glad one actually is out here.

See, my dad finally gave up and passed down the old MF 1450 that I grew up on. That was almost 35 years ago when he purchased it. 

Anyway, needless to say it is in very bad shape and probably is better as scrap, but I don't want to haul it off to the bone yard quite yet. I would actually like to restore it back to it's original condition (when I was a kid). There weren't too many that ever sold in my area under the MF name, but there were lots of "Snappers" out there.

If I'm not able to "restore" it, I would at least like to convert it over to a garden tractor that can do some real work, and let me get some projects done that my 5 year old Craftsman couldn't even begin to handle. (They don't make them like they use to)

If anyone has outlets or resources for parts, decals, information, or whatever, it would be greatly appreciated.

This isn't going to be a quick project since I don't even have the original engine. Basically I was able to salvage the frame, drivetrain (minus engine), fenders, wheels, and hood.

Thanks in advance !!

Dale Davis

• olcowhand, KennyP, gtcsreg and 1 other said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,649 Thanks
  • 8,525 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:12 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  You've come to right place there are plenty of knowledgeable members to help you out and I'm sure our sponsors can help you with some if not all the parts you will need.

• boyscout862, gtcsreg and Dale Davis have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Welcoem to the forum. Those 1450s are a good solid tractor. Check out our manuals section for information on the 1450. You should also be able to find engine information at the Kohler site or in the engines section of our manuals area. 

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and Dale Davis have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,504 Thanks
  • 7,369 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:26 PM

Welcome to GTT. I'm glad to hear that you realize that this will take time. The longer that you take the better the chance to find the pieces that you need. Take a lot of pics before you start(post some here). Those pics come in handy when putting it back together. My experience is that I have never been sorry for taking too many pics. Labelling parts will help too. Good Luck, Rick
  • HDWildBill and Dale Davis have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,649 Thanks
  • 39,023 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 04:41 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Plenty of folks here to help you along. I salute you for taking on the task, as I know this tractor has sentimental value added to it. The guys here like picks, so get the camera charged up and check the link in my signature for uploading the pics.

• boyscout862 and Dale Davis have said thanks

#6 limebuzz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 795
  • 822 Thanks
  • 860 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:24 PM

Welcome to the forum. I elf have 2 of the 1450's and Sure we want pics. Good to have another Massey man here.

• boyscout862, propane1 and Dale Davis have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,760 Thanks
  • 4,269 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Welcome to the best GT site on the net.  What ever it is you may need, you will probably be able to come up with ti here.  Not a lot of those old Massey Tractors survived the iron pile so good to hear your plans to bring one more back to life.  Good luck with your project.

#8 Gabriel OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:03 PM

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,239 Thanks
  • 29,695 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 06:12 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!  I don't think there is a Massey that is better off going to scrap.  Even a horrible looking one is at least good for parts, but almost anything can be restored if there is the will.  If you put in a Kohler K341AQS, then basically it becomes a MF 1650.   If you want to remain a 1450, then put in a Kohler K321AQS.  You really cant tell the difference at a glance, sop you may want to have the added 2 horsepower, and you can still decal it as a 1450 for history's sake.  Look forward to pics.

#10 tjbindy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 70707
  • 80 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Welcome to the Forum Dale.  Looks like we are nearly in the same boat as I started the resurrection of a MF1450 that was passed down to me from my dad also.   Has been sitting under a tarp outside since the late 80's.  However; mine is completely in tact and includes the mower, snow blade, and tiller. 

I see you are also in Indiana . .. .Mine was in a small town named Butler, Indiana and I brought it home to the south side of Indy over Mothers Day weekend.

Good Luck and maybe we will run into each other sometime!

• limebuzz, boyscout862 and Dale Davis have said thanks

#11 Dale Davis OFFLINE  

Dale Davis
  • Member No: 70816
  • 6 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 05:40 AM

Thanks to everyone for your replies and encouragement. 

I am looking forward to getting started on my project, but I need to get everything lined up first. 

I will try to get some pics posted very soon, but since there isn't much of it left, they are going to start at a snail's pace.

Since the engine is missing, that is where I have started looking for parts. So far, there have been a few leads, I just need to find one that is actually worth what some people are asking.

I was born and raised on a farm, worked on tanks in the military, and spent 13 years twisting wrenches for a living; so the "mechanics" portion will be a no-brainer. I just need to start lining up the parts I need.

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome !!!!

• limebuzz and boyscout862 have said thanks