Page / Red E P18 Tractor w/ Kohler K331

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 43924
  • 280 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 02:49 PM

I recently purchased this Page tractor and had it delivered. However since buying it then and getting it home now, I've added a few more projects and have realized it's going to be a bigger project that I have time for in the foreseeable future, so I thought I'd post it here first before going to ebay or parting it out.

It's a very rare bird. Period. I've only seen (1) Red E version of this model with the rectangular frame with Kohler K331 engine, which is a model P18. I believe this to be the Page marketed version, which I've never seen another example of. The tractor doesn't have a tag, however the tag on the Kohler engine is still there and has the same Spec # as the Red E version I've seen; confirming that the engine is the original.

The engine was dry stuck when the previous owner had it. He took the head off (lost the head bolts, so those need to be replaced with a head gasket) soaked it and it's loose now. Since the head is off, I can see the the valves open/close fine and turns over fine. The cylinder wall has grooves, so I think it should be honed and rebuilt to do it right. 

The transmission goes in and out of gear fine. The clutch seems to work and it rolls fine. 

Previously, the tractor had an owner that obviously had a welder that he enjoyed using as it has a few pretty ugly "enhancements" done to it that I don't believe are original. Most of which, I believe could be ground clean/fixed/ if restored. (ie: Steering column, extended clutch and brake pedals, etc)

It has it's original rear tires and rims. One rear tire is in great shape and holds air fine but the other not so much and will need to be replaced. 

It has it's original hood and fenders which are in great shape and very restorable. 

I want to be as detailed and through as I can and will update the pictures later. It needs a ton of work, but a very rare and unique tractor. I have $1,000 into it and would like to see that out of it. Depending on what you want or don't want, there are parts I would consider hanging onto for extras to bring the price down depending on your purpose for the tractor.

As long as it's paid for, I can store for a while and can help load on your truck or trailer for you.

Thanks, Rob

Hartford, WI

• StevenPa said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:09 PM

I like the cub cadet floorboards. Hope you get it sold to a good home.

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,233 Thanks
  • 7,468 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:37 PM

What is the K331. . .   a 15hp???

Edited by LilysDad, May 17, 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:17 PM

yeah never heard of a k331 321? Yeah. 341, too. but not 331.

#5 EconChuck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 18979
  • 245 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Okay, a little history lesson is required. The Kohler K331 engine was produced by Kohler and was a 12.5 hp
rated engine. It is a pressure lubed engine and obviously never saw high production numbers. They were used
in some Economy Power King tractors in the 1964-1965 time period. The engine was physically larger that the
K321 14hp engine and required a wider and longer hood and an extended frame.
I have seen another Page tractor with the K331 engine at a show in Ct last year.

Rob, good luck with the sale.

• motobreeder, LilysDad and oldiron1 have said thanks

#6 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

• 280 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Chuck, for the K331 education. 

I just listed the tractor on eBay with a $600 opening bid amount without the hood which I figured I'd hang on to for one of my Red E's. I listed a Page ZA8 Walk Behind tractor as well as well. If anyone hear wants either or both, I'm happy to pull them off and sell them outright for a little less if I don't have to pay the Ebay fees. 

Thanks, Rob

Edited by oldiron1, May 20, 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#7 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

• 280 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 09:18 PM

SOLD to the K331 man. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sold