#16 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 09:38 PM

And even in work you like, there are parts you won't. For me that's estimates and paperwork. Hate those things. If I want to do the building part, I have to do the paperwork though.

That's fine...an excellent way to start out because you'll learn. I'd suggest still treating it as a business though. If you say you'll deliver, you have to deliver, even if you'd rather be out doing something else.

Something that happens as places get bigger is that they stop doing small jobs bot because they can't profit from it, but because it gets in the way of more profitable work.

Ditto Reverend, I think you have given these younger people some great direction.
fordmustang1984, Go for it and keep in mind all that has been written here.
I am sure you will be a success at what ever you pursue.

#17 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 10:04 PM

And even in work you like, there are parts you won't. For me that's estimates and paperwork. Hate those things. If I want to do the building part, I have to do the paperwork though.

That's fine...an excellent way to start out because you'll learn. I'd suggest still treating it as a business though. If you say you'll deliver, you have to deliver, even if you'd rather be out doing something else.

Something that happens as places get bigger is that they stop doing small jobs bot because they can't profit from it, but because it gets in the way of more profitable work.

Excellent advice all. Don't be in a big hurry, and don't take on a lot of jobs right away. Take your time, and keep quality first. I like to see young people trying to do something like this, instead of playing video games and hanging out. Can work your way into a good fabrication shop later on.

An old successful business man once told me that to make money, do something that people don't really have to have, but really want, They will pay you well. If it is something they HAVE to spend money on, they will beat you to death on the price.

Wish I had listened to him.

Good luck on whatever you decide, George
  • caseguy said thank you

#18 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:17 AM

...I like to see young people trying to do something like this, instead of playing video games and hanging out...

:ditto: I wish my oldest son would follow their lead!

An old successful business man once told me that to make money, do something that people don't really have to have, but really want, They will pay you well. If it is something they HAVE to spend money on, they will beat you to death on the price...

Now THAT'S the BEST piece of advice I've ever heard! I guess it's something that I knew, but never put a definition to it. Thanks George!

#19 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 06:31 AM

Fordmustang1984, One idea to consider is trailer/wagon frames. I used to build small "farm wagons" that I sold at flea markets, shows etc. Once I had the frame figured out, I could build simple jigs to line everything up, the rest was easy. A good simple design copied off old farm wagons works good. These can be adjustable for length, and sold as is, or, If the customer wants a finished wagon box installed, the sky is the limit. I built the wagon boxes out of clear pine, with removable sides with stakes madeof 3/4 square tubing. I made adapters to fit my press so I could make the stake pockets, and corner brackets to copy the big wagons. Then finish up with a good slick paint job. Finish up with a bit of pin striping {easy to do} and upScale buyers will buy them if they can see them. Most of the time, they will want custom colors, with Grandkids name on side. Give em what they want.

Don't mean to run on here, but, I once took two of my wagons to flea market near Louisville. Sold one to a Business looking type gentleman on Friday evening. Sat morning, I saw the same guy come in and head straight for me. Panic set in, Thought he had a problem and was going to thrash me. He said, glad to see you still have another wagon, I've got to have it. Last time I saw the first wagon It was headed down the road loaded with grandkids, and I will never get it back. So I'll take the other one.

Moral to this story is, Brought home 800.00 for two wagons, and this was 25 yrs ago.

best regards, George

#20 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 06:37 PM

Alex, just my thinking here, knowing the area you live in. It's hard to sell things like this to people who just want the cheapest thing at a box store. I would look at maybe expanding into repair & maintenance as well. With a slow down economy, the people who would of just gone out to buy a new box-store mower when it did not start up in the spring, will be more geared towards trying to get it fixed. However, the dealers and big repair places have been getting the gravy for so long, people will look elsewhere to get repairs done. This could build up clients that may buy things like trailers, snow-plows and the like.

I think having a tractor that can till gardens will be a good investment too. You have the trailer, if you till gardens and pass flyers for repair's and custom fab work, the word will get around. Try to grab any snow-blowers and what not while you can, repair them and get ready for next winter